Page 4 of 39 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast

Thread: Trek Sawyer

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by tw3nty9er
    what's the story with JHK's freewheel chain guard looking thingy? anybody know what he's using there?
    They're Disco's, a thing from the past, thought out by Travis Brown. I think almost everybody now agrees - including mr. Brown himself, who apparantly does't run them anymore on his own ss bikes - that they are not that necessary to keep the chain on. Unless you and/or your mechanic are affraid that your inhumane powers do not match too well with a sloppy steel rearend? That, or you just think they look kinda cool.

I would agree with the latter reasoning and think mr Horgan Kobelski's rig looks sweet overall!

mtbr member
    Mar 2006

I agree that $1400 is asking too much for the complete bike. Normally, i wouldn't go for something like that (there are better options out there), however, my LBS said they would be willing to take the parts into stock and sell me just the frameset! How sweet is that?!
    I'd say somebody at your shop has to stop hitting the pipe Those parts aren't worth much for stock.
    But awesome for you, the first 2 questions everybody asked were, is there a frame only option and ...will they make it in titanium, the answer to both is dream on, so kudos on making one happen for you.
    I don't think 1400 is a lot for this bike compared to what?
    The secret to mountain biking is pretty simple. The slower you go the more likely it is you'll crash.

Just Ride!
    Quote Originally Posted by prphoto
    JHK Sawyer SS with "Platinum Tubing"

Where can someone purchase those rear cog guides?

tl1
    Bicyclist

Feelin' the love

Quote Originally Posted by schnee
    I wish I had a machine to stab people in the eyes across the internet. Stabby stabby.
    The world is, the world is
    Love and life are deep
    Maybe as his eyes are wide

It still looks like a cool bike a month or two later. Can't wait for ride reports on it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Trek Sawyer-trek_sawyer.jpg  

mtbr member
    I'm wanting one to race next year, but I'll be damned if I'm going to buy one without at least seeing it. I think Trek should have had a few of these out there for demo's this fall, Trek is going to miss the boat as far as I'm concerned. Another thing, the component group is a bit weak, just one step up from were it's at, and maybe that would justify the price. I'm more than likely going to build up a Vassago Bandersnatch 1 X 9er for next years XC race series, I at least know, and have seen the product!
    2008 Trek 69er SS
    2010 Vassago Jabberwocky SS

mtbr member
    It's going to be epic and you know it! Not to mention an instant classic!!! Just part out the rest of the stuff if you don't like it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Guitar Ted
    Actually their idea at Trek was that the Sawyer would be a "klunker-esque" type bike, so therefore the gears. Goes along with Gary's past, yada, yada, yada.....

But yeah, I see the majority of these ending up as SS rigs, and don't forget, they have a split drop out, so you can run "The Belt", if you dare....

Finally, there is an interesting back story to those handle bars. I wonder if anyone will guess.......
    something to do with the name crivitz?
    The secret to mountain biking is pretty simple. The slower you go the more likely it is you'll crash.

wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Placebo
    That JHK build is SEXY! I just thought it was a kind of cool bike until I saw that build. Awesome potential!

Ah, thank you It was a fun build. Clunky, but fun to ride. Was not supposed to be some fly weight like our race bikes. Just a good-ol cruising bike.

"Is that a "No Shox" sticker on JHK's fork?"

Ha, ha, no it is a "Rock Shox" sticker. I thought it would be funny to put on on there.

Cheers

I hate that name.
    Quote Originally Posted by mattomoto
    Ah, thank you It was a fun build. Clunky, but fun to ride. Was not supposed to be some fly weight like our race bikes. Just a good-ol cruising bike.

"Is that a "No Shox" sticker on JHK's fork?"

Ha, ha, no it is a "Rock Shox" sticker. I thought it would be funny to put on on there.

Cheers
    Thanks for the info, that confirms my plans to build mine as a fun dedicated rigid SS, with Profile cranks to boot. How is tire clearance? I'm planning to use the new 29-4 tires which are a claimed 2.3.
    Worked at Trek/Fisher dealer 2008-2013. Only a little biased.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I wish the Sawyer was available as frame only... I could see all sorts of fun projects resulting.

Lets see... the Sawyer with an Alfine 11-speed hub sounds nice.

The hold up for me is the lack of a "simple" suspension fork. I don't ride rigid. If only someone built a fork like the Atomlab G60 for a 29er (and with G2 offset) it would be perfect. Get the look of klunker fork but with something that won't be a bone shaker.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Has anyone ordered one of these yet? Iíve seen them on-line for $1200 to $1300, which doesnít seem that out of line for a complete bike. A 4130 Chromo Retrotec lists for $1350, frame and no fork, and a Jones Space frame for $1500 with fork. These without single speed or belt options either. At least some of the components, bars, headset, brakes and possibly wheels would be decent enough to keep for a single speed conversion.

I hate that name.
    I've had one on backorder since a week after it was released. Current ETA is January. Full advertised retail is $1429.99. You should be able to get it for less.
    Worked at Trek/Fisher dealer 2008-2013. Only a little biased.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TBMD9er
    Has anyone ordered one of these yet? Iíve seen them on-line for $1200 to $1300, which doesnít seem that out of line for a complete bike. A 4130 Chromo Retrotec lists for $1350, frame and no fork, and a Jones Space frame for $1500 with fork. These without single speed or belt options either. At least some of the components, bars, headset, brakes and possibly wheels would be decent enough to keep for a single speed conversion.
    Out of curiosity, where have you seen them online for $1200? I'd like to know so that I can try to get some price matching done at my LBS. Thanks

mtbr member
    I'm still not giving up on owning one of these, just frustrated with Trek. Would have liked to have one prior to the end of this riding season. What the heck, fresh ride for next spring!
    2008 Trek 69er SS
    2010 Vassago Jabberwocky SS

mtbr member
    Out of curiosity, where have you seen them online for $1200? I'd like to know so that I can try to get some price matching done at my LBS. Thanks

Maybe advertised for that price but you'd have to go and collect it.

Why not just talk nicely to the LBS and see if they can swing you a deal without the hardball approach?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by driver bob
    Maybe advertised for that price but you'd have to go and collect it.

Why not just talk nicely to the LBS and see if they can swing you a deal without the hardball approach?
    Well, I have been talking with them and in the past they have been really nice to me. In regards to the Sawyer, they said they would sell me the frameset for $750 and the complete for $1250. I'm having trouble deciding which option to go with. I already have all of the bling from another bike to make a sick single speed out of the frameset. Just wondering if rest of the stuff is worth $500 to me or somebody else if I wanted to sell it. If it was $1100 I would take it as a complete no question. Just not quite feeling the $1250 yet. Opinions are welcome!

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    i also go the $1250 quote from my favorite LBS. and i said "Order it up!" i will sort out the components later...but i am sure there will be some swapping and selling going on to fit my personal preference. i intend for it to be my beat around town bike and will be selling my current around town bike (Salsa Casseroll) to make room in the garage. it may see a little play time in the dirt...but that is really what the Black Cat 29er singlespeed is for, and i dont see myself leaving the Black Cat hangin' in the garage in favor of the Sawyer if i am heading to the woods!!

i love the retro look, the toned-down color scheme, and the fact i could always rock it singlespeed in the future or even try out a belt system! it is just gonna be a play around bike that has lots a potential for whatrever future whims i may get!

they are saying delivery in Jan. sometime.

Www.rvmba.org
    Feb 2009
    Looks like a wolfhound. But wolfhounds are 3x the price. Hand made in Talent Oregon.
    www.wolfhoundcycles.com
    The sweetest of the sweet steel.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Just spoke to my LBS. ETA end of January.

mtbr member

Like those bars.
    Great looking rig

banned

Like those bars.
    HOLY ***** I JUST SOILED MYSELF.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Berkley
    $1429 for a rigid bike with X.5 shifters?
    unleashing what fisher is dreaming costs extra I guess....plus, trek is the best, just ask them, they will tell you.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I don't know bout that but this bike appeals to a lot of people. It looks different than anything else being made by the bigguns in the industry. At this price I predict sell out or hard to find by 4th of July, and a giant photo thread here of all the custom rebuilds.

FKA Malibu412
    Quote Originally Posted by sofarider1
    Looks like a wolfhound. But wolfhounds are 3x the price. Hand made in Talent Oregon. The sweetest of the sweet steel.
    I can see why...WOW! Wolfhound Retro Hound. Beyond beautiful.

"I love the bike. It's my meditation. I think I'm bike-sexual." -Robin Williams

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Gotta give a shout out to Sonoma County's Curtis Ingles and his retrotecs

Page 4 of 39 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast