Page 38 of 39 FirstFirst ... 28 34 35 36 37 38 39 LastLast

Thread: Trek Sawyer

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Has anyone here ever tried to use a frame bag on a Sawyer? I'm looking to build up a touring rig, and I'd like a sawyer, but due to its unique frame design, I'm thinking I would run into too many issues when mounting cargo accessories.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Can anyone confirm stock stem length/rise on the 17.5" frame?

This thread says, 105mm, +/-7 degrees on the 19" frame.

Found some other sources indicating 100mm, +/-7 degrees on the 17.5" frame.
    Last edited by steinercat; 05-23-2014 at 02:37 AM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I'm lovin' my 2012 Sawyer and have done some modest changes/upgrades. Great bike by all accounts.

So great, in fact, that my brother now wants a 2011 in XL. I can't seem to find a stock one for sale anywhere after a year of looking... and the modified ones are a bit pricey on the 'Bay. Anyone selling out there?

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonmustang View Post
    I'm lovin' my 2012 Sawyer and have done some modest changes/upgrades. Great bike by all accounts.

So great, in fact, that my brother now wants a 2011 in XL. I can't seem to find a stock one for sale anywhere after a year of looking... and the modified ones are a bit pricey on the 'Bay. Anyone selling out there?
    I had better luck with pinkbikes than eBay. Just post a WTB and check regularly.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by steinercat View Post
    I had better luck with pinkbikes than eBay. Just post a WTB and check regularly.
    Ah, cool -- I'll try there. Thanks!

mtbr member

Trek Sawyer Update

I just finished painting my beast. Now for the build. It's going slow since it's planting season here, but check out the progress!

Trek Sawyer-10414442_666677326656_6620458595585037100_n.jpg
    Trek Sawyer-img_4849.jpg
    Trek Sawyer-img_4848.jpg
    Trek Sawyer-img_4847.jpg

mtbr member
    Love it.

Posted via mobile

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chunkmastafunk2 View Post
    I just finished painting my beast. Now for the build. It's going slow since it's planting season here, but check out the progress!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	10414442_666677326656_6620458595585037100_n.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	90.4 KB 
ID:	898948
    Nice! Was wondering when it was going to be out.
    2013 On One Fatty / 2011 Trek Sawyer / 2011 Kona Dr. Fine / 1985 Schwinn Tempo

mtbr member
    She's getting there. I don't know if I want my On-One Mary bars or my Bonty RL flat. I like the 25.4 Mary bar/Thomson stem combo with the Marys for a more traditional look. Any ideas guys? If someone made a wider "Mary" type bar that'd be what I'd get.

mtbr member
    Been waiting to see how that would come out. Looks good. Like the Gary Fisher badge as well.

As far as bars, too personal to comment. When I first purchased my Sawyer, I thought the Crivitz bar would be the first to go. But I've ended up really enjoying it. If I were to slap down money on something new, I'd probably opt for the Jones H-Bar.

mtbr member
    She's getting there. I don't know if I want my On-One Mary bars or my Bonty RL flat. I like the 25.4 Mary bar/Thomson stem combo with the Marys for a more traditional look. Any ideas guys? If someone made a wider "Mary" type bar that'd be what I'd get.
    I have the Marys on my Fatty and Metropolis on my Sawyer. These Surlys are about 1" wider than the Marys and 2" more than the Metropolis.

Surly Open Bar Black 40mm Rise - Modern Bike
    Surly Open Bar Black No Rise - Modern Bike
    2013 On One Fatty / 2011 Trek Sawyer / 2011 Kona Dr. Fine / 1985 Schwinn Tempo

mtbr member

Gary Fisher Sawyer Completed!

Here it is! Finally all done! It's going to remain a Gary Fisher like he intended. 1969 Chevrolet truck paint.

Build list:
    Frame: 2011 Trek Sawyer (Gary Fisher Collection)
    Fork: 2010 Cannondale Lefty 90mm PBR Project 321 adaptor
    Headset: Cane Creek 40 w/ Niner YAWD top cap
    Stem: RXL 90
    Bars: Bontrager RL 720 15mm Rise / Bontrager Crivitz
    Grips: Ergon Biokork (RH cut and shaped for gripshift)
    Seat: WTB SST
    Brakes: Hope Tech 3 X2 160f/140r
    Shifters: SRAM X0 Twist 10 Speed
    Cassette: SRAM 1070 11-36 with Hope T-Rex 40t Expander
    Chain: SRAM 1090
    Front Der: None
    Rear Der. SRAM X9 Type 2 short cage
    Cranks: e*thirteen XCX
    Chainring: 34t Wolf Tooth Components
    Wheels: Velocity Blunt in Teak Hope rear/Lefty SL front
    Pedals: Crank Bros Eggbeater 3s
    Tires: 2.25 Onza Canis skinwall
    Bits: Dimension woodgrain cages and seatpost clamp

Trek Sawyer-img_4961.jpgTrek Sawyer-img_4963.jpgTrek Sawyer-img_4965.jpgTrek Sawyer-img_4966.jpgTrek Sawyer-img_4962.jpgTrek Sawyer-img_4964.jpg
    Trek Sawyer-img_4955.jpg

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    She's a beauty, and I don't mind the idea of the Lefty as far as ride quality goes, but the Lefty is throwing off the aesthetics of the bike with all the other retroesque touches you've done. For pure looks, I'd of stuck with the rigid fork. And, yes, I feel like a dork for being critical of such a sweet bike.
    Noogie...Noogie...Noogie.

mtbr member
    Thanks Slow Danger. I love my Lefty too much to not run it. It is for sure the mix or old and new. Maybe I will build it up rigid when I finish my bamboo race bike. For now, I am still looking for a Blunt in teak to build up a 9mm front wheel as a alternative to my Lefty wheel.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011

Concur

Thanks Slow Danger. I love my Lefty too much to not run it. It is for sure the mix or old and new. Maybe I will build it up rigid when I finish my bamboo race bike. For now, I am still looking for a Blunt in teak to build up a 9mm front wheel as a alternative to my Lefty wheel.
    I also have a lefty on mine which is completely setup as a 29+, I also have a lefty on my fat tire and am considering running my spare lefty on some version of a street bike???maybe my alsop softride lol Trek Sawyer-image.jpg

MattyK
    Apr 2009

My Trek Sawyer Update

I've stalked this thread for years. I thought I'd finally post my current iteration of the Sawyer.
    Fox Float FIT 100mm fork with the offset.
    RaceFace Turbine 1x crankset. (really janky fit for this specific combo. I don't recommend)
    MRP Chainguide
    Raceface Turbine bar
    Thompson stem, flipped of course
    KS LEV Dropper post
    XT Shifter/D
    Slllllllllllllick KMC Black/red chain
    Juicy 5 brakes with Rotors: 203F,185R
    Salsa and King bits.
    Stock, Duster wheels converted to tubeless.
    Ergo saddle cause my balls dont like regular stuff.
    Cane Creek bar ends because why not have some options on long fire road climbs.
    I'll clean it up and do some tasteful shots in a couple days.Trek Sawyer-photo.jpg.jpg

Lord Thunderbottom
    Anyone using a Jaand frame pack on the sawyer?

Frame Pack

the dimensions look good just wondering if I can keep the seat tube bottle bracket for sure, otherwise I'd make something and just take up the whole frame

not sure where else to mount bottles then, maybe on the fork
    Today I will do what others won't, so tomorrow I can do what others can't

Lord Thunderbottom
    Finished my first century this weekend, I have a road bike that weighs 1/2 what the sawyer does but this setup is such a smooth comfy ride, it tamed 55 miles of gravel along the way

Trek Sawyer-sawyer.jpg
    Today I will do what others won't, so tomorrow I can do what others can't

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    WOW, I bought my Sawyer in 2011. I saw it in a shop in Manhattan (I was out there working) and I HAD to have it.

It just occurred to me to look up peoples Sawyers this week and I had no idea they built such a following.

I rolled around NYC on mine for a month while I was there working then brought it home to Los Angeles and ditched the fork, stem , and bars ASAP.

Nothing against the Bontrager bars, they're on my Slingshot Farmboy and are working great.
    EVERYthing against that G2 boat anchor fork.

anywho, I added an Origin8 Black Ops carbon fork. It was the only fork at the time that fit my weight requirements (as far as I know) It's not super light but it's a hell of a lot smoother than stock.

Ritchey approx 1" rise bars and 120mm 6deg stem finish that off.
    WTB Saddle and the rest is stock

OH! tires, I'm back on the original Bontrager front although it sucks for the loose sandy granite like trails around my house (near JPL) and a Kenda Nevegal 2.2 out back. I got the Kenda in Moab last year and I really like it. Too bad they seem to have stopped production.

pictures from today during and after riding at JPL

Aquiring a Specialized FATboy in the next month or so. I expect that will be my main trail bike for around here.

Once I have it I'm taking the Sawyer down and doing something like;
    Belt Drive
    Alfine 8
    Rabbit Hole rim with a 29x3 Knard for the front
    Velocity Dually rim on the Alfine in the rear keeping the Kenda for now
    Stans front and rear tubeless stuff
    King headset just because it's neat-o
    and lighter stuff, seat post, crankset, pedals, seat, etc
    maybe some shimano XT or XTR brakes?

really want a Rohloff but I have the Alfine so I'll give it a beating first.

My Slingshot is SS and I'm happy with that for no gears.

I have loved this bike from day one, at first just for looks (not the ride) because of the G2. I have never ridden a bike that was G2 that felt like it fit me. I'm 6'3" and 230 lbs (on a light day), with a 33-34" (short-ish) inseam and G2 feels like a huffy with a bent fork to me. Once I swapped that everything livened up and I love riding it.

I recently found Meriwether's bike blog and I think I'll be ordering one of his Sawyer looking frames in the next year or 2. I suspect I'm too heavy for the Sawyer, it flexes EVERYwhere to the point of shifting up and down on really hard torque-y climbs. that's a lot of twist! and yes I've tried tuning it out many times...
    Last edited by GRpufnstuf; 07-05-2014 at 07:33 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I've been loving my Sawyer but thinking I might sell it and get a lighter bike to start racing. Any idea what market value would be? I also bought and had the LBS install the Fox shock fork but otherwise it's still stock.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Trek Sawyer Sold Prices on Ebay

Past sales on Ebay range from $555 to $1400.

Sales from $900 - $1000 were frequent.

Trek Sawyer-capture.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by fatoldaggie View Post
    I've been loving my Sawyer but thinking I might sell it and get a lighter bike to start racing. Any idea what market value would be? I also bought and had the LBS install the Fox shock fork but otherwise it's still stock.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Let me tell you a sad story. I took my Sawyer to Greece in the Summer of 2011 and really had a blast riding it there. I mostly rode a combination of gravel and paved back roads with a few trails thrown in (but really not that many) and although it was heavier than any bike I currently own it had a really good ride quality and even over there a certain coolness factor among the many people I met who were cycling enthusiasts.

Thinking I was going to go back I left it at my mother's Apartment in Athens and there it sits in her basement storage area, still packed in it's bike case gathering rust as far as I can tell.

I'll be going back in the Summer of 2015. Maybe I'll bring a load of parts (tires, chain, etc.) to refurbish it. I will at least bring it back this time.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I really like the look of this bike..

Anyone know where closeouts might be sold?

My LBS has none.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by rerod View Post
    I really like the look of this bike..

Anyone know where closeouts might be sold?

My LBS has none.
    It took me almost 6 months to find one, it was local and frame only which worked great for my 29+ Build, but needed a large which is popular frame

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by jnl1105 View Post
    It took me almost 6 months to find one, it was local and frame only which worked great for my 29+ Build, but needed a large which is popular frame
    Thanks..

Id like to find a medium since Im 5'9" with a gear hub.. Just wishing.. Anyone?

Page 38 of 39 FirstFirst ... 28 34 35 36 37 38 39 LastLast