Page 3 of 39 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Trek Sawyer

tl1
    Bicyclist

Indeed

Quote Originally Posted by rojogonzo
    great for

Riding out the day's events.
    As far as Gary Fisher and his "collection" goes, what you say about his company
    is what you say about society. Catch the mist, catch the myth.
    Catch the mystery, catch the drift.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tl1
    As far as Gary Fisher and his "collection" goes, what you say about his company
    is what you say about society. Catch the mist, catch the myth.
    Catch the mystery, catch the drift.
    Well, thankfully...

1.) His mind is not for rent, to any god or government
    2.) He's always hopeful, yet discontent
    3.) He knows changes aren't permanent. But change is...

mtbr member
    Dec 2005

Sawyer price

I'll admit up front that I've already ordered one, but think I can see what the Trek bean counters were thinking when they spec'd/priced it this way. Compared to the $1,100 Cobia, the $1,429 Sawyer gets upgraded brakes, cranks, and cockpit bits that probably even much of the disparity in cost between the forks. Looking at the frames head-to-head then, it seems reasonable that the price per unit to develop and build a few thousand Sawyers out of nice quality steel (in Waterloo, I hope, although I'm not holding my breath) is going to cost way more than cranking out a bazillion more X-Cambias in Taiwan. I can see where it might cost an extra $300 to bring a Sawyer frame to market than a Cobia--that's less than the difference between a Niner EMD and MCR, for instance.

Agree that the component spec's not much to my liking, but Trek probably wouldn't sell any more of these at $2k with Superfly builds than it will at the lower price point. Many of the ones sold, including mine, will be stripped down and reconfigured with better and/or SS builds right away--sort of like the Motobecane donor bikes, but in reverse.

853+29+1x24=Fun
    All this machinery making modern bicycles
    Can still be open hearted
    Not so coldly charted
    It's really just a question of your honesty, yeah
    Your honesty

mtbr member
    anybody get to see one of these in person yet? if so, what was your impression?

also wondering if anybody knows when they will arrive in the shops. I was told mid january but the way some of these treks are rolling out earlier than expected who knows.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jncarpenter
    Well, thankfully...

1.) His mind is not for rent, to any god or government
    2.) He's always hopeful, yet discontent
    3.) He knows changes aren't permanent. But change is...

Quote Originally Posted by kev0153
    All this machinery making modern bicycles
    Can still be open hearted
    Not so coldly charted
    It's really just a question of your honesty, yeah
    Your honesty
    I wish I had a machine to stab people in the eyes across the internet. Stabby stabby.

Devo
    Sea Otter 2008
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Trek Sawyer-img_0271.jpg  

www.AsanaCycles.com
    "Bicycle Lifestyle, realized." D.G.

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by schnee
    I wish I had a machine to stab people in the eyes across the internet. Stabby stabby.

Sig. worthy .

mtbr member

Seriously on the floor...

I wish I could add that little exchange to my signature...LOL. Funniest stuff I have seen all week on this forum! I don't know if there is enough room in my signature for the picture and the question, as well as people understanding the context of it. Plus it would peave people off due to how much room it would take up.

Good stuff for sure!

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    JHK Sawyer SS with "Platinum Tubing"

Like those bars.
    The secret to mountain biking is pretty simple. The slower you go the more likely it is you'll crash.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by tw3nty9er
    anybody get to see one of these in person yet? if so, what was your impression?

also wondering if anybody knows when they will arrive in the shops. I was told mid january but the way some of these treks are rolling out earlier than expected who knows.

I was told this November by my shop.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Sounds like you guys were on top of your pre-orders.

This bike is not about the components,AND THERE IS NO FRAMESET OPTION like some wise man said they are all getting stripped down, so I guess we will see lots of Motobecanes with this build kit. And suspension forks on the front end.
    The secret to mountain biking is pretty simple. The slower you go the more likely it is you'll crash.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    That JHK build is SEXY! I just thought it was a kind of cool bike until I saw that build. Awesome potential!

Did I catch a niner?
    Is that a "No Shox" sticker on JHK's fork?
    Mr. Krabs: Is it true, Squidward? Is it hilarious?
    https://www.dollarshaveclub.com/ref/...A0CC/s/tx/cx/1

mtbr member
    Warning. Compared to my wifes 15 year old Trek 850 my 2 Ferrous frames have rusted liked they've been dipped in the ocean. For some reason Fisher/Trek didn't treat the inside of the steel tubing. If you buy a steel bike from Trek, I highly recommend that you invest in a $7 can of framesaver.

prphoto- That's how the Sawyer should have been marketed all along. Fun, fast, and SS. Sweet.

Harmonius Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by ppfeifer
    Warning. Compared to my wifes 15 year old Trek 850 my 2 Ferrous frames have rusted liked they've been dipped in the ocean. For some reason Fisher/Trek didn't treat the inside of the steel tubing. If you buy a steel bike from Trek, I highly recommend that you invest in a $7 can of framesaver.

prphoto- That's how the Sawyer should have been marketed all along. Fun, fast, and SS. Sweet.
    Actually their idea at Trek was that the Sawyer would be a "klunker-esque" type bike, so therefore the gears. Goes along with Gary's past, yada, yada, yada.....

But yeah, I see the majority of these ending up as SS rigs, and don't forget, they have a split drop out, so you can run "The Belt", if you dare....

Finally, there is an interesting back story to those handle bars. I wonder if anyone will guess.......

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by ppfeifer

I framesaver my bike when it is built and every year there after, (as neil young says "rust never sleeps")
    never heard of a frame being pretreated at the factory. Ferrous tubing is pretty thin that may explain the rust
    Like Ted says its a klunker, or check out Curtis Inglis, or Hunter, Its old school my man.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Guitar Ted
    Finally, there is an interesting back story to those handle bars. I wonder if anyone will guess.......
    I venture to guess that somebody at some point bent their riser bars either by accident or intentionally and ended up liking them better when leaned forward. Just a guess, anyway.

Thanks for posting those pics! Can't wait until mine arrives, hopefully in November!!!

mtbr member
    GT- Belt drive would be really cool, especially if it came with two belt/gear ratio offerings. I'm just sayin'.

As far as the clunker thing goes, I'm not buying it. $1400 for a clunker is ridiculous. I can buy a crappy old beach cruiser and slap some parts on it for $150. $1400 is supposed to buy a retro bike that looks old but rides and handles like new. Below average (for this forum) X5 components should be getting razed by all of us.

I hear ya, prphoto. I should have anticipated my rust issues since the Ferrous is made of a ferrous material. After Sunday (may last attempt at racing for 2010), I plan to strip the ol' bike down, clean out the rust (not to hijack this thread- but does anybody have suggestions?), and treat my frame.

Love,peace and baby geese
    Sep 2008

Photography class?

Quote Originally Posted by SelfPropelledDevo
    Sea Otter 2008
    Is that the butt that sits on the Azonic dunce saddle in the magazines? Gary Fisher is still cool except the little hair on the chin thing.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities.
    Albert Einstein

mtbr member
    what's the story with JHK's freewheel chain guard looking thingy? anybody know what he's using there?

I agree that $1400 is asking too much for the complete bike. Normally, i wouldn't go for something like that (there are better options out there), however, my LBS said they would be willing to take the parts into stock and sell me just the frameset! How sweet is that?!

mtbr member
    here's the link for those pictures and intereview

http://singletrack.competitor.com/20...01&gallery=260

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    The reason I like it so much is exactly the reason some of you dislik it... The form! I have wanted a lynskey or blacksheep fo years but am unwilling to pay the premium for either at this point in life. So, the Sawyer comes along and blows me away with it's style. Can't wait to get my hands on one to turn it into a stylish commuter!

Devo
    of course... its the form.
    especially in light that rigid mtb's are now coming in under 20lbs
    carbon road bikes are under 17lbs...

personally... I like the form. I'm willing to ride a 26lb 29er in the old school double top tube fashion...

especially when its a very capable all rounder
    www.AsanaCycles.com
    "Bicycle Lifestyle, realized." D.G.

MTB Prodigy
    I've seen one, they're made in Taiwan. N not terribly heavy. Didn't have a scale to give a good figure
    Get out and ride!

Jake

Page 3 of 39 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast