Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 131920212223
Results 1,101 to 1,115 of 1115

Thread: Trek Sawyer

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    You will need to chemically strip the fame if you want the raw look with welding marks. Abrasive removal of the paint will erase welding marks, and generally leave the steel a dull grey.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by 9GUY9 View Post
    You will need to chemically strip the fame if you want the raw look with welding marks. Abrasive removal of the paint will erase welding marks, and generally leave the steel a dull grey.
    Awesome, thank you!

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Can i get some suggestions for converting the original stock Sawyer drivetrain to a single speed?

I'd like to avoid using a tensioner for looks.

Fat boy Mod Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by mappable View Post
    Can i get some suggestions for converting the original stock Sawyer drivetrain to a single speed?

the sawyer was designed with a SS (or even belt drive) tensioner into the rear dropouts... will can be as simple as removing the inner/outer rings from the crankset and then a SS conversion kit on the rear wheel and cut the chain... ideally I'd replace the crank cog with a SS specific one and a proper SS chain...
    - Surly Disc trucker
    - '82 trek 560 roadie

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I have debated powder coating mine.....but with the anodized red headset/bottom bracket/nipples on wheels, plus the red accents of the older X-O stuff, the gray makes the red and white (spokes on RXL wheels) pop.....That being said, a cool powder coat color with subdued components would be pretty cool.

And no doubt if the welds/brazing is nice looking, clear-coated raw would look pretty bad ass!

-r

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by mappable View Post

Yep, all you need is a cog and spacers for the rear hub, and a single chain ring! The Sawyer has sliding dropouts already.

Trek Sawyer-sawyer.jpg
    Slow Old Guy

mtbr member
    Does anyone out there have a fork off a 21" that they'd need willing to part with.

Singleton
    does anyone here still have their Sawyer?

I'm thinkng of putting dropbars on it, question is which brake lever fits the stock disc brake?

TIA!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wheeliam View Post

I'm thinkng of putting dropbars on it, question is which brake lever fits the stock disc brake?

TIA!
    I still have mine. I primarily use it for gravel/light trail riding. I've been thinking about adding rack mounts to the fork legs so I can add a porter rack. It's still one of my favorite bikes.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Still have mine and it is my primary mountain bike. Just somewhat recently, SRAM, Shimano and maybe some others have started offering hydraulic brake levers for road bikes/drop bars. I would guess they will work with the stock Avid calipers. Let us know how it turns out.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by morton.tj View Post
    Yep, all you need is a cog and spacers for the rear hub, and a single chain ring! The Sawyer has sliding dropouts already.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sawyer.jpg 
Views:	148 
Size:	226.2 KB 
ID:	1095504
    Morton, how was the conversion to belt as far as finding the right tension and more importantly having the sliders stay at the right tension? What size cog and ring are you running? I was advised that a 42/26 would be close to my 32/20. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013

TIA!
    I ride mine at least three hours per week on single-track. I never had the stock brakes, so I can't help you out there.

Quote Originally Posted by CObiker123 View Post
    Morton, how was the conversion to belt as far as finding the right tension and more importantly having the sliders stay at the right tension? What size cog and ring are you running? I was advised that a 42/26 would be close to my 32/20. Thanks.
    It took me a while to get the right tension. I bought the belt, the ring, and the cog from a friend and the belt was a bit short. With the sliders all the way forward, the belt was under extreme tension. I got a 2 cm longer belt and it gave me 1/4-3/8 of an inch clearance. The drive side slider seems to slip forward sometimes and I have to readjust it. Other than that, after initial setup, I've had no problems. I believe I'm running 46/28 (1.64:1), which is just slightly taller than your current 32/20 (1.60:1). The 42/26 is 1.62:1 - very close to your current gear.
    Slow Old Guy

mtbr member
    Apr 2011

TIA!
    If you decide to go with traditional road brake levers, be sure that your mechanical brake calipers are the road version. There is a difference, and I know from experience that mountain versions of the calipers have a different "pull" than the road. If you're running gears, you also have to take into account matching SRAM brake/shifters with a SRAM drivetrain, and Shimano with Shimano.

one chain loop

TIA!
    Will, I can solve your problem, just sell the Sawyer to me.
    everything sucks but my vacuum cleaner.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    This is not my listing, but if anybody is looking for a sawyer (minus a few parts), here is a 17.5" that is on ebay right now for $500 + 100 shipping. Just needs wheels, pedals, seatpost and saddle. I have an original saddle, seatpost, and stock handlebars that I pulled from mine that I'd be willing to part with for very little if you wanted.

Trek Sawyer 17 Inch FRAMESET + MANY PARTS 29er Mountain Bike Retro Gary Fisher | eBay

Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 131920212223