Page 2 of 39 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Trek Sawyer

mtbr member
    29xcal, don't tease me like that! for some reason the link won't work. i wonder if it's just my computer tho. thanks for trying anyways

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tw3nty9er
    29xcal, don't tease me like that! for some reason the link won't work. i wonder if it's just my computer tho. thanks for trying anyways
    Ditto.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Sorry Guys, apparently twitpic out smarted me. I have uploaded it to picasa so all should be good. Sawyer Pic. You can use the download option to get the full size image.

mtbr member
    ahh, i feel better now! thanks! i might have to trick one out with some of that new XTR

New 2011 XTR first pics

http://www.singletrackworld.com/2010...mano-xtr-2011/

Apr 2007
    I guess I'll be in the very minority being very unimpressed with this uninspiring bike.

mtbr member
    p nut, what don't you like about it? What kind of bike inspires you?

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by John_Biker
    I'm just glad to see a rigid-forked, geared steel 29er on the market. There aren't too many, and I think that is a nice kind of bike.

That being said, the frame design is all about looks rather than function. Yes, it looks good. But, the extra tubes added on older bikes like the Schwinn Excelsior and British/Chinese/Indian work bikes were put there to compensate for the use of weak steel. Modern bikes don't use weak steel, so the double-diamond is a better way to go. Want it stiffer? Bump up the tubing diameter or increase tubing thickness? Want it more resilient? Decrease tubing diameter or decrease tubing thickness. The extra tubes don't get you there.

Ditto on the curvy tubes. What do curvy tubes mean? Well, they mean straight gauge tubing, because it is quite difficult to get a nice curve on a butted tube if the curve is where a butt transition is. Tubes in the rear triangle have a good reason to be curved- for tire and crank clearance. Tubes in the front generally don't have a good reason for being curved. Even fork crown clearance can be pretty well accommodated by an extension below the dt/ht junction.

All this being said, the weight penalty probably isn't that big compared to a double-diamond steel-framed bike. I remember my first mountain bike was a steel Trek- it was a 1991 Trek 990. Oversized, lugged steel with a Rock Shox RS1 fork. THAT frame was heavy. Add chunky lugs and heavy cast fittings to oversized tubes, and it is no lightweight. It wasn't until my third mountain bike, a Wicked Fat Chance, that I really came to appreciate steel.

How will this one ride? Hard to say. The geometry is a known quantity, so the difference will be in the tubing. Chances are, with Taiwanese manufacture (I'm assuming, could be Chinese) and for a production bike that they don't want to have too many come back for warranty claims, the tubing won't be particularly light. That might please the "stiffer is better" crowd (and the Clydesdales), but I like 'em resilient, myself...
    If you look on the web site it says "double-butted Platinum Cro-moly tubing. You might assume it is true temper OX Platinum. Sure they could make in wisconsin like the ferrous but at that price point probably taiwan and whats wrong with that?
    The secret to mountain biking is pretty simple. The slower you go the more likely it is you'll crash.

tl1
    Bicyclist

That bike looks like it's a rush

A modern day warrior
    Mean mean stride,
    Today's Trek Sawyer
    Mean mean ride.

Had to be the first to say it.

Feet back and spread 'em!
    May 2004
    hey that looks pretty sexy to me. did you notice the little extra arch piece in the fork? and it looks like double seat tube supports off the double top tubes. nice touches.
    the time is right for violent revolution

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by prphoto
    If you look on the web site it says "double-butted Platinum Cro-moly tubing. You might assume it is true temper OX Platinum. Sure they could make in wisconsin like the ferrous but at that price point probably taiwan and whats wrong with that?
    Hmm. "Platinum" doesn't mean much. Maybe it is True Temper OX Platinum. Probably not. I'm OK with Taiwan.... could be China though, which IMHO is a step down in quality. I guess what we really don't know is if the frame is light-ish and springy like, say Niner (yes, Taiwan made- like I said, I'm OK with that) or not-so-light but tough like, say, Vassago.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by John_Biker
    Hmm. "Platinum" doesn't mean much. Maybe it is True Temper OX Platinum. Probably not. I'm OK with Taiwan.... could be China though, which IMHO is a step down in quality. I guess what we really don't know is if the frame is light-ish and springy like, say Niner (yes, Taiwan made- like I said, I'm OK with that) or not-so-light but tough like, say, Vassago.
    I think you got it at tough and not so light. One of the things that Trek is determined to do is cut down on the warranties that GF had been dogged with.
    This bike looks like a reasonably priced "clunker" replica. Not a race bike bike not a trail grinder just a stylish replica of the original bikes Gary and the Mt tam crew rode.
    Unless True temper has a new tube set then OX is the only Platinum out there
    Last edited by prphoto; 06-28-2010 at 04:27 PM.
    The secret to mountain biking is pretty simple. The slower you go the more likely it is you'll crash.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tw3nty9er
    p nut, what don't you like about it? What kind of bike inspires you?

i'm not p-nut, but I'm with him.
    To me, form should always follow function. That does not appear to be the case with this bicycle - I do like the muted gray finish, be interested to see if that's how it comes out in production (doubting that).

Tulsa
    Quote Originally Posted by tl1
    A modern day warrior
    Mean mean stride,
    Today's Trek Sawyer
    Mean mean ride.

Had to be the first to say it.
    great for

Riding out the day's events
    wherever you go, there you are

LCW
    mtbr member
    The Sawyer would definitely be cooler if it were Ti
    2011 Yeti 575 - 2015 Fox Float 36 RC2 160 / Fox Float X - 30.6 lbs

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by LCW
    The Sawyer would definitely be cooler if it were Ti
    The whole bike is MSRP $1429

That is cooler then 25% percent lighter then steel and 200% more expensive.

Eric the Red
    Quote Originally Posted by prphoto
    Unless True temper has a new tube set then OX is the only Platinum out there
    Just because Trek calls it platinum, doesn't mean it's True Temper OX Platinum. My gf had an aluminum Fisher Paragon from 10 years ago that said Platinum tubing. It definitely wasn't OX Plat.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I've been informed by my lbs that they wont be available in the UK "because they are making the sawyer in china the UK import duties on Chinese products are to high to make it worth while for Trek to import them here" That's what i was told and i don't believe a word of it tbh !!!!

Big Gulps, Alright!
    $1429 for a rigid bike with X.5 shifters?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Berkley
    I know! That's why I'm only buying the frame. Still trying to decide if I should instead put that money towards something really sweet like a carbon air 9 or something. Another bike I've had a crush on lately is the singular swift and all the black sheep's. I know, they're all completely different bikes. I wish I could just have all of them!

DG5
    mtbr member
    Trek is ghey. always has been,always will be.
    I love my bike.

human dehumidifier
    Exactly - see my post waaay up there ^^^^

People are falling all over themselves for the way it looks. Seems to be the new American way, style over substance, just look around to see how it's working out.
    But if you close your eyes it becomes so easy to see

mtbr member
    Well this thread is making me feel better about my choice. I was feeling bad about ordering the Trek Cobia over the Sawyer, but after reading this thread, I feel alot better about my choice. Also saved over $300.
    Last edited by jgboys1; 06-29-2010 at 07:38 AM.

LCW
    mtbr member
    pretty sad... with X5, should $999...
    2011 Yeti 575 - 2015 Fox Float 36 RC2 160 / Fox Float X - 30.6 lbs

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bikecop
    did you notice the little extra arch piece in the fork?
    That arch in the fork looks to me like it would be a prime candidate for gunking up with wet leaves/snow/mud in the fall and winter. Looks pretty close to the top of the tire. It's definitley a neat looking frame. Though the headtube looks a little slack for tight new england riding at 69. That would definitely be a frame I'd want to test ride before committing to.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by knightscape
    Though the headtube looks a little slack for tight new england riding at 69. That would definitely be a frame I'd want to test ride before committing to
    This is really nothing new...it's the G2 geometry. They mitigate the slack HA with more fork offset.

Page 2 of 39 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast