Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Trek Sawyer

434K views 1K replies 291 participants last post by  Co-opski 
#1 ·
Seriously considering one, however, I wish I could learn more about it before I throw down a deposit on one. Has anyone heard any gossip about this bike? What assumptions can you extrapolate from the info that's already out there (see trek's website)?

It look's heavy but maybe all the extra tubes are throwing my off. Will it be vertically compliant and laterally stiff? for some reason it looks like it would be a little noodlish to me but I just don't have a ton of experience (only been in the game for 1.5 yrs).

#259 ·
meltingfeather said:
is it really 10lbs? :eek:
Just under 8lbs for the frame and almost 3lbs for the fork. If the frameset were in the 5lb range, then sure, but at 8lbs for the frame? Just over 30lbs stock. I saw one with XT and a Fox and it's still around 30lbs. IMO too heavy for a bike that costs that much, even if it looks awesome.

I would ride it with a suspension fork for sure. Rigid isn't my cup of tea.

#261 ·
Sawyer belt drive

tw3nty9er said:
Seriously considering one, however, I wish I could learn more about it before I throw down a deposit on one. Has anyone heard any gossip about this bike? What assumptions can you extrapolate from the info that's already out there (see trek's website)?

It look's heavy but maybe all the extra tubes are throwing my off. Will it be vertically compliant and laterally stiff? for some reason it looks like it would be a little noodlish to me but I just don't have a ton of experience (only been in the game for 1.5 yrs).
I finally got my Sawyer fitted up with a Gates Carbon Drive system and it dropped about 3 full pounds, along with a Moots post, Bonty "Crowbar" lo riser and Maxxis Crossmark tires front and back. Gearing is 39X22 which we (Gavin at Gates and I) decided was closest to my normal 32X18.

It's not light and it was expensive to just get it down to ~26 pound range. But it is a great ride that is in no way noodley. The Ti post helps with vert compliance. The straighter bar helped me get the steering quicker, so now the handling to me is just like the other G2 bikes. I've gotten lots of comments on the trails, on the road and in parking lots with the bike on the roof rack.

Sorry for the not-so-great iPhone pictures.

Attachments

#262 ·
That's a beautiful looking frame. Saw one at my LBS a couple weeks ago. It came as a frame and fork and was a size medium. To satisfy my own curiosity, I asked if we could weigh it. Keep in mind, that the frame still had some packing foam attached. At any rate, I placed frame and fork on the scale and it weighed-in at 10 lbs. 14 oz. including the aforementioned packing foam. However, I can't image that packing material weighed more than a couple ounces? Still want one but shedding weight will be expensive.

Please post more pics of your belt-drive bike. That's what I have in mind as well. It sounds like you've got a sweet build but hard to tell in the lower res photos.

#264 ·
Saw one myself in a shop in Austin a couple days ago - but I'm happy with my just-purchased Haro Beasley 1x9 650b. The 16" frame size (found used, no less!) suits my short inseam way better than the smallest Sawyer ever would. Not as pretty a frame, though!

#265 ·
I recently bought a Sawyer frame/fork on fleabay. I was planning on building it up as a gates belt drive SS. But the largest chainring that will fit is a gates 39t (due to chainring/chainstay clearance), and coupled with their (smallest) 20t rear cog, would put me at 15.1 mph at 90rpm. I think that is a little too spinny.
My other belt option is to go internal gear hub.
What to do, what to do? Rohloff? So much coin... Any advice welcome.

#266 ·
Buddy Shagmore said:
I recently bought a Sawyer frame/fork on fleabay. I was planning on building it up as a gates belt drive SS. But the largest chainring that will fit is a gates 39t (due to chainring/chainstay clearance), and coupled with their (smallest) 20t rear cog, would put me at 15.1 mph at 90rpm. I think that is a little too spinny.
My other belt option is to go internal gear hub.
What to do, what to do? Rohloff? So much coin... Any advice welcome.
I was considering an Alfine 8 speed hub . Check out the Internal gear hub sub forum:

http://forums.mtbr.com/forumdisplay.php?f=154

#268 ·
I've posted this before, but I'm pretty stoked on this thing so... Here's my Sawyer built up as a winter fixed gear training bike. So far it has been awesome.

Yes, thats a bit of surface rust. This is a pre production frame with a ghetto rattle can paint job, I'll be repainting in the spring.

34x15 gearing
Crivitz Bar
PDW Panda Treat Grips
Juicy Ultimate Front Brake
Stylo OCT Cranks
Paul Hubs
SKS Full Coverage Fenders
Bontrager XR1 1.9" Tires

Attachments

#269 ·
Schultz29 said:
Shimano was supposed to have a new and improved Alfine rear hub with 11 speeds for 2011. As I recall it was 100 grams lighter as well?
http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/shimano-nexus.html

Not quite 100g lighter, but a definite improvement on the Alfine 8. NOT cheap, though...

Lots of info at that link about Shimano IG hubs, and IG hubs in general.

#274 ·
Here's mine. Unfortunately I only got one ride out of it until snow returned but spring is upon us!

The only OG are F/F, brakes, cranks.
Different parts of note are: supa-wide Chromag Fubar DH bars, Bontrager race SS wheelset, Ignitor 2.1, BBG bashguard. Sits at about 28 lbs.

I recommend slamming the wheel as far forward as possible which helped me lift my front when needed and feel more agile.

Biggest downsides I've seen are: the stock fork can make putting wide fenders on it tricky- I had to use vice grips to squeeze a fender through.

I really wish it had internal cable routing-it needs that for the clean cruiser/klunker look.

All in all I love it

#275 ·
[TA] said:
I've posted this before, but I'm pretty stoked on this thing so... Here's my Sawyer built up as a winter fixed gear training bike. So far it has been awesome.

Yes, thats a bit of surface rust. This is a pre production frame with a ghetto rattle can paint job, I'll be repainting in the spring.

34x15 gearing
Crivitz Bar
PDW Panda Treat Grips
Juicy Ultimate Front Brake
Stylo OCT Cranks
Paul Hubs
SKS Full Coverage Fenders
Bontrager XR1 1.9" Tires
Those fenders are sweet..... I'm getting set Thanks :thumbsup:

#276 ·
I saw a Sawyer today at my lbs and had a chance to sit on it but not ride it yet. I'd be really interested in hearing input on these now that it's been out for awhile. I've been hoping to get a Pugsley but for financial reasons I might go this route instead...

Any input would be appreciated! Thanks!

#277 ·
clayman29 said:
I saw a Sawyer today at my lbs and had a chance to sit on it but not ride it yet. I'd be really interested in hearing input on these now that it's been out for awhile. I've been hoping to get a Pugsley but for financial reasons I might go this route instead...

Any input would be appreciated! Thanks!
I love my Sawyer...so far I have taken it on anything from my weekly training rides after work to long weekend group rides and every time I ride it I have a huge smile on my face...it is so much fun to ride!! No it is not light but dang it is fun!!!

-r

#278 · (Edited)
oclvframe said:
I love my Sawyer...so far I have taken it on anything from my weekly training rides after work to long weekend group rides and every time I ride it I have a huge smile on my face...it is so much fun to ride!! No it is not light but dang it is fun!!!

-r
Have you ever ridden the Surly Karate Monkey? It's actually less but the Trek feels like something I could ride for a long time and upgrade if the need arises...

Now if I can only find a deal besides straight retail in Oregon or Washington! :thumbsup:

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.