Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    fc
    used to be francois Administrator

Trek Remedy 9.8 report

Any fans out there? I've had this bike for a month and this week, I've been riding it everyday!!

It is so awesome!! It climbs and descends really well and it's so agile on corners and berms. It jumps well it takes rough stuff with confidence.

I put a short stem on it but have left the rest alone. I think the new Fox rear re:aktiv shock is a big improvement over previous gens and I can leave it in Trail mode the whole ride. Matches up the Pike up front in plushness too.

It's light and offers good value too.

Am I high or do others agree?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Trek Remedy 9.8 report-img_0089.jpg  

Trek Remedy 9.8 report-img_1088.jpg  

Trek Remedy 9.8 report-img_1124.jpg  

Trek Remedy 9.8 report-pc130104.jpg  

IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Nice bike, its at the top of list for a new bike. How much clearance does the rear stock tire have?

Keep the reviews and photos coming our way.

Thanks
    Tahoe29er

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Agree with you Francois, she is nimble.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Trek Remedy 9.8 report-r-9.9.jpg  

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    I just got a Fuel 29 9.9. After my first descent I immediately asked myself "wow, that was awesome! Should I have gone with the Remedy?" FWIW Bill Clinton was President the last time I owned a dually. They've come a long way...

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by francois View Post
    I couldn't agree enough. Amazing bike!
    Last edited by Max24; 03-02-2015 at 05:03 PM.

mtbr member
    Any fans out there? I've had this bike for a month and this week, I've been riding it everyday!!

It is so awesome!! It climbs and descends really well and it's so agile on corners and berms. It jumps well it takes rough stuff with confidence.

I put a short stem on it but have left the rest alone. I think the new Fox rear re:aktiv shock is a big improvement over previous gens and I can leave it in Trail mode the whole ride. Matches up the Pike up front in plushness too.

It's light and offers good value too.

What size is that?

I have a 9.8 on order when they become available in March. 19.5" 29er. I currently have a Fuel EX8 29er, also 19.5", and my seat is WAYYYYY higher than yours is!

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by brad h View Post
    I just got a Fuel 29 9.9. After my first descent I immediately asked myself "wow, that was awesome! Should I have gone with the Remedy?" FWIW Bill Clinton was President the last time I owned a dually. They've come a long way...
    Yes. I say that cause I have a pimped out Fuel. I love it death but now this Remedy 9.8 seems better in every respect. My Fuel is aluminum though so they weigh about the same.

This Remedy seems more agile than my 2014 Fuel.
    IPA will save America

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by DethWshBkr View Post
    What size is that?

I have a 9.8 on order when they become available in March. 19.5" 29er. I currently have a Fuel EX8 29er, also 19.5", and my seat is WAYYYYY higher than yours is!
    Medium. I'm 5'8" with 30 inseam. Dropper is 125mm.
    IPA will save America

mtbr member

That's interesting. One of my big concerns was that the Remedy would be much less agile. I attribute much of the loss in agility of the fuel to front end flex (32mm fork, large aluminum frame, and my being 6' 200 lb), so I'm hoping a carbon framed bike with 35mm stanctions should make it much more responsive, even with the slacker angle.

fc
    My Fuel. It's a fine steed!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Trek Remedy 9.8 report-img_5508.jpg  

IPA will save America

Cassoulet forever !
    François, is this frame Di2 compatible ?
    Frenchspeaking 29"ers community site http://VingtNeuf.org

mtbr member
    Apparently this is the most winningest bike in the EWS too, I could have my info wrong but I'm sure that's what I read somewhere.

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by 20.100 FR View Post
    François, is this frame Di2 compatible ?
    I don't think so. But I'll verify.

The Pivot Mach 4 and Rocky Mountain Thunderbolt, Element are the frames I know that could take a Di2 internal battery.
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Yes. I say that cause I have a pimped out Fuel. I love it death but now this Remedy 9.8 seems better in every respect. My Fuel is aluminum though so they weigh about the same.

Well in an ideal world I'd have one of each How is the Remedy on long hemorrhoid farming climbs? On stupid steep stuff I'm getting some low back cramping on the Fuel, my S-Works stumpy HT is more comfortable going up Willow Camp (up Bo Ridge from the Bo-Stinson K-2 school) for instance. I'm sure I'll get used to it eventually.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    @Francois -- Yours have the wider hub, 148 is it? How's that feel? If you have carbon hoops, please include that variable in your eval. Thanks bunches.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Anybody else notice the difference in spec between the 29" and 650b version of the 9.8?

The 650b "only" gets the Fox 34 and the 2x10 Shimano XT group vs 29" with the Pike and 1x11 SRAM X1 group.

I wish all the 650b's had the Pike. Seems like an odd choice to put a mediocre fork on the wheel size that people may choose for riding that could be more aggressive.

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by Collins View Post
    @Francois -- Yours have the wider hub, 148 is it? How's that feel? If you have carbon hoops, please include that variable in your eval. Thanks bunches.
    Yes, I have the 148 rear hub and it feels awesome. Never really thought about it until I noticed that this bike is more flickable than most 29ers of this travel.

And all my journo friends who've been riding this bike really love it and they say how fun and capable it is. It's only now that I attribute some of that to the new hub standard. The wheels are aluminum SRAM Roam 3. I'm only 150 lbs, but some of the folks like this bike are well over 230 lbs.

The word going around is "It makes a 29er wheel feel as stiff as a 27.5 without having to spend Enve money."
    IPA will save America

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by brad h View Post
    Well in an ideal world I'd have one of each How is the Remedy on long hemorrhoid farming climbs? On stupid steep stuff I'm getting some low back cramping on the Fuel, my S-Works stumpy HT is more comfortable going up Willow Camp (up Bo Ridge from the Bo-Stinson K-2 school) for instance. I'm sure I'll get used to it eventually.
    So I did an hour climb yesterday. It was awesome and it felt a trail bike with less travel. I locked it out initially and that gave me some lower back pain. So I put it in Trail mode. This is a very, very good Trail mode on this Fox shock because it is stable yet it still responds to bumps.

The Monarch Plus rear shock is good too in a Trek as it has a lot of mid-stroke support. But it does it in Open mode. So both shocks are very good but they're Rockshox is best at Wide Open and Fox Re:aktiv is best at Trail mode. The Remedy and full floater bikes really need a good rear shock since they're a little too active.
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    so.....I'll ask this.....compared to the remedy 650 tested by you guys last year, how much of what you like on the new Remedy 29 do you think is the better shock, and how much is the geometry/wheel differences?

not looking for a wheel war question, just wondering if its mostly the shock going on here, or if there is something else

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by jayoutside View Post
    so.....I'll ask this.....compared to the remedy 650 tested by you guys last year, how much of what you like on the new Remedy 29 do you think is the better shock, and how much is the geometry/wheel differences?

not looking for a wheel war question, just wondering if its mostly the shock going on here, or if there is something else
    I think the Remedy 29 is better than the Remedy 27.5. That's saying a lot since I'm a big 27.5 fan on All Mountain bikes and I'm only 5'8".

Some of it is the suspension components. The Fox front and rear on our test 27.5 last year were inferior to the Pike/Re:aktiv Fox combo on my test 29er.

But at 140mm travel, the 29er wheel was really able to trump the 27.5 version of the Remedy. It climbs better, it descends better. And now with the Boost 148 stiff rear wheel, it is just as playful in the air or on berms and flow trails.

So I will prolly be buying this test bike. It's freakin dialed too at the $5800 price.
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fc View Post
    I think the Remedy 29 is better than the Remedy 27.5. That's saying a lot since I'm a big 27.5 fan on All Mountain bikes and I'm only 5'8".

Some of it is the suspension components. The Fox front and rear on our test 27.5 last year were inferior to the Pike/Re:aktiv Fox combo on my test 29er.

But at 140mm travel, the 29er wheel was really able to trump the 27.5 version of the Remedy. It climbs better, it descends better. And now with the Boost 148 stiff rear wheel, it is just as playful in the air or on berms and flow trails.

So I will prolly be buying this test bike. It's freakin dialed too at the $5800 price.

I was thoroughly unimpressed with the suspension on my Fuel EX8 29er. Front end either felt too soft or too stiff (damping). I had been looking into manufacturing sub-tanks for it, to increase air volume and significantly reduce the ramp up. I had also just got done looking into re-doing the whole fork with different weight fluids to try to reach a mid-point in the damping. I was hoping a combination of that would allow the fork to work a little more to my liking. Nevermind the flex.

I always felt the rear of the Fuel just blew through travel way too much. I would run 245-250 psi, and just never feel like the rear handled well. I did put a PUSH Ind. volume reducer, and that helped out big time I felt.

I know the Fox Evolution series stuff is a lower caliber suspension, so I am really looking forward to the Pike (I like Fox stuff too) and the new rear shock. Do you feel like the travel blows through? Think there will be any need for the PUSH volume reducers in the rear?

I was going to get the 27.5, but then thinking about a 29er in 140mm travel, slacker bike than the Fuel...that thing should be a very fluid bike over rough stuff, especially with the stiffer wheel.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    @Francois: How are you translating the 148 hub's wheel stiffness to "flickability"/playfulness in air? Wheel stiffness typically affects on-the-ground handling, hard-g stuff, hard climbs up chunder, etc. Berms included, as you mention.

Part of why I'm leaning toward a 27.5 is because I want a fun ride that's even more maneuverable than my Honzo, but still climbs exceptionally for all day rides and races. I've demo'd a bunch of recent bikes (but no 2015 Treks, or that new Evil), and without exception the 27.5s are stiffer, easier to toss around. This simply seems like the inevitable benefit of the smaller/lighter wheels... No wheel war here, either -- I just have some great carbon 29 wheels, and it would be great if I found a bike/frame that met my desires and I could use them on it. (As usual, the upshot of this is that I need to demo a few more bikes... but your feedback will help here as well.)

Also, I'd be building from frame up, so parts spec doesn't matter.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I agree Collins.

Not to mention that comparing the current 29 to the old 650 from last year is not a fair comparison. Both get the new rear shock, so that is a wash. The fork difference is valid, as I wish they had the Pike on both.

I am liking 650b for similar reasons. I wheelie, manual, drop and pop lots of stuff in my trail riding. I also ride trials, so I like doing slow-tech riding on mt MTB too.

The 29's I have ridden are great on the trail for rolling and climbing, but lack the fun factor for me when it comes to tight stuff and airing out. I prefer to put the extra work in for speed and fun rather than let the wheels do it for me.

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by DethWshBkr View Post
    I was thoroughly unimpressed with the suspension on my Fuel EX8 29er. Front end either felt too soft or too stiff (damping). I had been looking into manufacturing sub-tanks for it, to increase air volume and significantly reduce the ramp up. I had also just got done looking into re-doing the whole fork with different weight fluids to try to reach a mid-point in the damping. I was hoping a combination of that would allow the fork to work a little more to my liking. Nevermind the flex.

I always felt the rear of the Fuel just blew through travel way too much. I would run 245-250 psi, and just never feel like the rear handled well. I did put a PUSH Ind. volume reducer, and that helped out big time I felt.

I know the Fox Evolution series stuff is a lower caliber suspension, so I am really looking forward to the Pike (I like Fox stuff too) and the new rear shock. Do you feel like the travel blows through? Think there will be any need for the PUSH volume reducers in the rear?

I was going to get the 27.5, but then thinking about a 29er in 140mm travel, slacker bike than the Fuel...that thing should be a very fluid bike over rough stuff, especially with the stiffer wheel.
    Fox Evolution suspension is not good to begin with. And it seems like Fox went through a dark age 2013-2014 where manufacturing got moved somewhere else and quality wasn't there and forks weren't assembled properly or lubed. I've had a few bikes come in for test with that fork and they didn't fare well and it was pretty hard to narrow it down to the fork. But the front end 'just did not feel right.'

Anyway, that's why Rockshox has dominated. The opening was there and they went for the jugular with the Pike. The new Fox 36 is really, really good. But it is a big travel fork so I suspect they will trickle down that technology to their smaller travel ones.
    IPA will save America

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by Collins View Post
    @Francois: How are you translating the 148 hub's wheel stiffness to "flickability"/playfulness in air? Wheel stiffness typically affects on-the-ground handling, hard-g stuff, hard climbs up chunder, etc. Berms included, as you mention.

Part of why I'm leaning toward a 27.5 is because I want a fun ride that's even more maneuverable than my Honzo, but still climbs exceptionally for all day rides and races. I've demo'd a bunch of recent bikes (but no 2015 Treks, or that new Evil), and without exception the 27.5s are stiffer, easier to toss around. This simply seems like the inevitable benefit of the smaller/lighter wheels... No wheel war here, either -- I just have some great carbon 29 wheels, and it would be great if I found a bike/frame that met my desires and I could use them on it. (As usual, the upshot of this is that I need to demo a few more bikes... but your feedback will help here as well.)

Also, I'd be building from frame up, so parts spec doesn't matter.
    So this Remedy 29er is really easy to throw around in turns. Changing directions, carving berms and general rowdiness is fun. It's kind of like the Enduro 29er but it's not so big and squished with all that travel. I'm pretty certain the new rear axle contributes to that with a stiffer rear end both in the rear triangle and the wheel.

I've ridden the new Remedy 27.5 too but only for a couple hours. It is a fine steed and may be more agile than the 29er. But it won't have the wider rear triangle an new hub.

I think the height of the rider and fit will come in to play when choosing which one of these Remedys to get. But style won't be as critical on this one the very active, playful rider can get either one.

But on the 140mm travel, the 29er version be faster because of traction and ability to tackle the chunder.

When one goes to 160mm travel, 27.5 will rule cause the 29ers become too unwieldy.
    IPA will save America

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast