mtbr member
    Apr 2011

Trek Marlin Single Speed 29er

hi i'm getting back into biking for the first time in almost 10 years, gained a few pounds that i want to get rid of, i have been intrigued by 29er's and single speeds in the last few weeks i have been researching.

i came across the marlin trek 29er single speed and it seems to be the right price range for me, but is this what i should start with? i am buying new to treat my self so it is the 2011 i am considering, would enjoy hearing some in put to help with my decision

G
    Mr. Lurker
    Surprised no one has chimed in...

Seems to me, it's a bit pricey for a single speed. Maybe check out BikesDirect?

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I picked up a Marlin SS about a month ago. It was on sale @ my LBS for $415. Fun to mess around on although the fork weighs a ton. If you've been off the bike for a while, I would not suggest a SS as your primary ride. Better to start with gears and get back in shape. If you keep riding, then look around for a SS as a second bike.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I have a MarlinSS and I dig it, except the fork, but if you are just getting back into it, I would say go for it. Or check out the monocog, or BD's got some cheap 29erSS.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    i have checked out bikes direct but i'm in canada and i don;t want to go through all that hassle for a bike from them, thats why i am looking at the marlin, it is 600 cdn at a lbs out of all the bikes i see around (norco, specialized, giant) this one fits the bill almost to exactly what i want right out of the box.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    sounds like you got your answer right there. Enjoy the Marlin. I am.

100% fuzz, 0% melody
    Mar 2011
    Yes, get a throwaway bike from BikesDirect. Give them your money, get junk in return, make them happy, make you sad.

Do that. It's what's best.

Token Hillbilly
    I've got one, and really like it, but be ready to replace the fork in fairly short order. That was the first thing I did to mine. Other things that will warrant attention was the freewheel, and brakes. The freewheel was a $30 replacement that made a world of difference as far as clean engagement. The brakes probably would have been fine, I've just gotten used to using higher grade stuff.

I went out on Sunday and rode roughly 30 miles with a grin on my face. It's a good frame to build from.
    Trying to win hearts and minds, but willing to stomp them if necessary.

SSolo, on your left!
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by PaleriderX
    I picked up a Marlin SS about a month ago. It was on sale @ my LBS for $415. Fun to mess around on although the fork weighs a ton. If you've been off the bike for a while, I would not suggest a SS as your primary ride. Better to start with gears and get back in shape. If you keep riding, then look around for a SS as a second bike.
    Agree...good second bike...unless your trails are really flat. Love my Mary SS.
    Get off the couch and ride!

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by J. Fragera
    I've got one, and really like it, but be ready to replace the fork in fairly short order. That was the first thing I did to mine. Other things that will warrant attention was the freewheel, and brakes. The freewheel was a $30 replacement that made a world of difference as far as clean engagement. The brakes probably would have been fine, I've just gotten used to using higher grade stuff.

I went out on Sunday and rode roughly 30 miles with a grin on my face. It's a good frame to build from.
    J. What freewheel did you get. I have noticed that when you hammer on the stock one, there is some noticeable lag in the engagement.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    i've found a deal on a trek 6000 for 390 used, i think i may pick it up haven't seen any pictures of it yet or know the year, but seems like a good deal i think, if it falls through i'll most likely go with the marlin but i think i'm going to maybe go with the multi gear now

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    what sort of fork could you add to it to sweeten it up a bit?

Token Hillbilly
    Quote Originally Posted by feekill
    J. What freewheel did you get. I have noticed that when you hammer on the stock one, there is some noticeable lag in the engagement.
    I grabbed an ACS Crossfire. It's not an Eno, but it was a vast improvement over the original equipment. I think it cost me around $15 or $20. Now that I'm pretty sure to stick with riding the SS, whenever this one wears out, I'll be more apt to spring for a higher end one.

Quote Originally Posted by jammo
    what sort of fork could you add to it to sweeten it up a bit?
    I added a baseline Recon Silver TK. I could have spent more for a Reba, but decided to pocket the extra cash. The sweet part is that I don't notice the fork any more. It does a competent, reliable job.
    Last edited by J. Fragera; 04-13-2011 at 02:56 AM.
    Trying to win hearts and minds, but willing to stomp them if necessary.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I'm patiently awaiting my tax return so I can pick up a marlin ss. The price is just too good. Ill likely upgrade the fork soon, but dang. Seems like a great deal to me.

DFMBA.org
    Old thread I know, but I recently purchased a used one to get into singlespeeding and ended up upgrading it pretty extensively because I felt the frame warranted it. I ride this bike more than I ride My Niner Jet 9C and I love it. The Trek Marlin SS is a 69.5 degree h/a (68.5 with the 120mm fork) and the rear spacing can accommodate a 2.3 tire, which is progressive for a 2011 bike. Very comfortable ride and stable at speed.

Upgrades:
    ----------------
    Wheels: Bontrager Rhythm (Shimano freehub w/ carbon spacers)
    Crankset: Shimano Deore w/ 32t n/w chainring
    Cog: Surly 19t
    Fork: RockShox Reba Race 120mm
    Handlebar: Chromag "rootbeer'" flat bar
    BB: Shimano Deore
    Seatpost: Raceface Deus XC
    - All new stainless dropout hardware

Trek Marlin Single Speed 29er-20171115_193103.jpg
    Please donate to IMBA or your local IMBA chapter. It's trail karma.

Members who have read this thread: 1