mtbr member
    Jun 2013

Trek Marlin frame size for a husband and wife

Hey Guys,

First time poster but I've received lots of good info over from this forum.

I want to get my wife into mountain biking with me, so I bought her a Trek Marlin for her birthday. It is a good bike that only needs an upgraded fork, pedals, and brakes to be a very solid bike for people who will only get to ride about twice a month.

We went to the bike store to have one fitted, but they said that back angle is up to the rider. Well, I currently ride a medium GT Avalanche. I believe it has an 18.4 inch frame. I was never sized to the bike. When I first got into to biking about three years ago, my friend who is 6'2'', 250 lbs got a large frame GT. I'm 5'11'', 200 lbs with a 32'' inseam, so I naturally got a medium frame thinking the large was for sure too big.

Anyways, even though I'm a pretty good rider, I really have nothing to go off for back positioning. My wife is 5'10'' with a 32'' inseam. So, we figured we would get a 29er that both of us could ride. We ended up getting a 17.5 frame. The ETT is a actually longer on the Trek than on the Marlin by an inch or two which factored in, and the salesman said we could maneuver the smaller frame easier which would allow us to ride harder.

So, I guess I'm just casually asking you all if you think we/I made a good decision. It is hard to know what feels best when you can only ride around a parking lot.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Medium for both of you. She may benefit from a 70mm stem. It takes a couple minutes to change a stem. I use an Uno off ebay. 94g and low price.
    New Uno Ultralight MTB Road 31 8 x 70mm Stem 94g Black | eBay