mtbr member
    May 2017

Bonking ... not feelin' well Trek Marlin 7 Fork BROKEN

Hey guys,

My OEM Trek Marlin 7 fork broke a while ago. On the 'lock-out side', the fork kinda exploded and broke. The lockout and a metal rod attached to it busted out while riding. This exact same thing happened to a friend of mine with the same bike today so I was interested if this happened to anyone else... Real bummer.

Let me know if this has happened with your bike

Thanks

mtbr member
    If it is a Suntour XCT/XCM then what you really have is a bike path fork and not really an offroad fork. It isn't really made for that and therefore it will break.

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by huckleberry hound View Post
    If it is a Suntour XCT/XCM then what you really have is a bike path fork and not really an offroad fork. It isn't really made for that and therefore it will break.
    It's a Rockshox "XC 30" although it doesnt have any model number pin etc so its an OEM one.

WillWorkForTrail
    This isn't uncommon with cheap forks on beginner bikes that get used on real MTB trails. Especially if they get any age on them and don't get some oil put in them. Unfortunately, it's the reason expensive forks are expensive. If you get to looking for a quality replacement that won't cost you as much as the bike, check out Manitou forks. Specifically, the Marvel series has been an exceptional value for me.

Robertson
    Look on the back of the right (I think right, maybe left) fork lower. There will be a sticker that reads something along the lines of "WARNING: not to be used for jumps, drops, or hard riding of any kind"....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SnoowMTB View Post
    It's a Rockshox "XC 30" although it doesnt have any model number pin etc so its an OEM one.
    That is their lowest level fork. You are riding it beyond it's capabilities.

mtbr member
    how long have you had the bike? it's possible that you were pushing the fork beyond what it was designed to do by your weight or your riding style. How heavy are you and what level of riding were you doing?

have you ridden trails with it locked out?

however, if it's withing the appropriate warranty period, you should be able to take it to the Trek dealer where you bought (assuming your bought it new) it and ask them to process a warranty claim. I have found that Trek and Rock Shox are both pretty generous with their warranties if you have a bike shop that will advocate for you.
    Thorn in your Sidewall
    Vassago Jabberwocky

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by mack_turtle View Post
    how long have you had the bike? it's possible that you were pushing the fork beyond what it was designed to do by your weight or your riding style. How heavy are you and what level of riding were you doing?

have you ridden trails with it locked out?

however, if it's withing the appropriate warranty period, you should be able to take it to the Trek dealer where you bought (assuming your bought it new) it and ask them to process a warranty claim. I have found that Trek and Rock Shox are both pretty generous with their warranties if you have a bike shop that will advocate for you.
    I've had the bike since black friday. (About 7 months ago) I rode the bike on trails about 8 times until I bought a full suspension trail bike. The trails were blues, so not that gnarly. A few rocky drops and jumps but nothing crazy. After that I just used it for street riding and practicing jibs like manuals, wheelies, etc. I never really 'abused' the bike that badly...
    I weigh about 180-200 pounds, its been a while since I checked haha. And no I have only used the lock-out about 2 times and it was on uphill fire roads.

I brought the bike to the shop I bought it from and they are dealing with Trek to get it warrantied. I was just wondering if this was a common thing.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Newb here with a Marlin 5, RST Gila fork. Crappy I know...but I wanted an entry level bike so I could see if I was going to "really get into" the hobby or not.

Anyways, OP, what were you doing that broke the fork? Did you hit a jump or obstacle or anything specific that broke it?

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by guitarguy View Post
    Newb here with a Marlin 5, RST Gila fork. Crappy I know...but I wanted an entry level bike so I could see if I was going to "really get into" the hobby or not.

Anyways, OP, what were you doing that broke the fork? Did you hit a jump or obstacle or anything specific that broke it?
    I wasn't doing anything crazy. I have a Transition Patrol that I use for trails so my Marlin barley even gets ridden hard. When my fork broke I was just practicing my manuals on a paved hill. After about 30 mins the fork just broke on impact with the ground from a manual. Crazy, only like a 2 foot drop.

Prior to it breaking I had only ridden it on trails about 3 times and done some light street riding and jibs. If I were you I would stay away from the Marlin 7 As much as I want to say its an awesome bike I cant.

mtbr member
    May 2017
    UPDATE:

I still havent been able to get the fork warrantied... But a rep from Rock Shox is coming this week to take a look at it. Since posting this thread 4 other Marlin 7's have come into my LBS with the exact problem. I think they might need to recall the fork.

mtbr member
    that sucks to see it's taking so long. I would have gotten a refund for the bike if a company made me wait more than a week to at least get an answer as to how to get it working again.
    Thorn in your Sidewall
    Vassago Jabberwocky