mtbr member
    Apr 2017

Trek Marlin 6 3x8 to 2x10 plus, rockshoks, maxxis, havoc handlebar, raceface stem

hi there everyone, well got a trek Marlin 6 new about a month ago, i never owned a mtb and was ready to buy one. I know there is a lot of options out there and maybe better than this bike, but i like to get things use it and makes some upgrades so i can feel the difference. Of course saving money for more mods.

At this point here is the upgrades i did in the last weeks.
    -Stock Suntour XCT replaced with RockShock Recon Silver RL with remote
    Trek Marlin 6 with upgrades, rockshoks, maxxis, havoc handlebar, raceface stem-20170429_131008_zpsw1lrelmo.jpg

Trek Marlin 6 with upgrades, rockshoks, maxxis, havoc handlebar, raceface stem-20170429_130734_zpsmvmygktg.jpg

-HandleBar
    Stock 660mm, Easton Havoc orange 750mm
    -Stem
    Stock 80mm 10 deg. RaceFace 60mm 6 degrees
    -Grips
    Ergon GA2
    Trek Marlin 6 with upgrades, rockshoks, maxxis, havoc handlebar, raceface stem-20170512_164852_zpsqxijeqrh.jpg
    Trek Marlin 6 with upgrades, rockshoks, maxxis, havoc handlebar, raceface stem-20170512_180723_zpsszeez4ph.jpg
    Trek Marlin 6 with upgrades, rockshoks, maxxis, havoc handlebar, raceface stem-20170512_165738_zpsgrfvniwo.jpg
    Trek Marlin 6 with upgrades, rockshoks, maxxis, havoc handlebar, raceface stem-20170512_171105_zpskr5uxtcs.jpg
    Trek Marlin 6 with upgrades, rockshoks, maxxis, havoc handlebar, raceface stem-20170512_175024_zpsso3t1ftj.jpg
    Trek Marlin 6 with upgrades, rockshoks, maxxis, havoc handlebar, raceface stem-20170513_113414_zpsgccetntr.jpg
    Trek Marlin 6 with upgrades, rockshoks, maxxis, havoc handlebar, raceface stem-20170513_113402_zpsbdfoicbj.jpg
    Trek Marlin 6 with upgrades, rockshoks, maxxis, havoc handlebar, raceface stem-20170512_180027_zpsahpigheo.jpg
    Last edited by regiobike; 05-18-2017 at 04:42 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Tires:
    Front: Maxxis DHF 2.5
    Rear: Maxxis DHRII 2.35
    Trek Marlin 6 with upgrades, rockshoks, maxxis, havoc handlebar, raceface stem-20170512_180009_zpsfcbcanbd.jpg

Stock on the rear 2.0, new Maxxis DHRII 2.35

Trek Marlin 6 with upgrades, rockshoks, maxxis, havoc handlebar, raceface stem-img-20170501-wa0009_zpsa0psmggk.jpeg

Trek Marlin 6 with upgrades, rockshoks, maxxis, havoc handlebar, raceface stem-20170514_112317_zpsboibsvtf.jpg

Trek Marlin 6 with upgrades, rockshoks, maxxis, havoc handlebar, raceface stem-img-20170501-wa0007_zps0kjdzxaf.jpeg

Trek Marlin 6 with upgrades, rockshoks, maxxis, havoc handlebar, raceface stem-20170514_112336_zps8nljyuyo.jpg

Trek Marlin 6 with upgrades, rockshoks, maxxis, havoc handlebar, raceface stem-20170512_180019_zpsprf1harc.jpg
    Last edited by regiobike; 05-14-2017 at 09:33 AM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Those are some significant upgrades, bike looks rad. Enjoy!

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Very nice Man! I have a similarly modded Marlin 6 I bought a couple months ago and I totally feel you on the whole "liking to upgrade" thing. Got a couple questions for you if ya don't mind

-How much of a difference did the shorter stem make?
    -Ive got 2.2 Kenda Nevegals all around on my bike. Any trouble with tire clearance with that 2.35 on the rear?
    -Any plans for a dropper post?
    -Is that a 16 or 17 model year? Love the orange

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    a few accessories:

Blitzu light, really good product:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Trek Marlin 6 with upgrades, rockshoks, maxxis, havoc handlebar, raceface stem-20170514_084501_zpschdjty1u.jpg

Bonmic flat pedas, huge difference:
    Trek Marlin 6 with upgrades, rockshoks, maxxis, havoc handlebar, raceface stem-20170514_084411_zpsesd9xf6v.jpg

Anatomic Saddle, didnt enjoy riding with the BT stock one:
    Trek Marlin 6 with upgrades, rockshoks, maxxis, havoc handlebar, raceface stem-20170514_084446_zpsg7mmk72v.jpg

Water bottle cage:
    Trek Marlin 6 with upgrades, rockshoks, maxxis, havoc handlebar, raceface stem-20170514_084420_zpsywpu8gut.jpg

Wireless computer:
    Trek Marlin 6 with upgrades, rockshoks, maxxis, havoc handlebar, raceface stem-20170514_084427_zpseskhyruj.jpg

Neoprene protector:

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by SCxXxMTB View Post
    Very nice Man! I have a similarly modded Marlin 6 I bought a couple months ago and I totally feel you on the whole "liking to upgrade" thing. Got a couple questions for you if ya don't mind

-How much of a difference did the shorter stem make?
    -Ive got 2.2 Kenda Nevegals all around on my bike. Any trouble with tire clearance with that 2.35 on the rear?
    -Any plans for a dropper post?
    -Is that a 16 or 17 model year? Love the orange
    My Marlin is 2016, honestly i feel much better with shorter stem, im a 5.9" 225lb guy, feels more solid and better in turns. The maxxis 2.35 tire has a lot of clearance in the back, i guess a 2.5 will fit too, here is the picture. Dont know about dropper post yet.

stock wheels 2.0 rear
    Trek Marlin 6 with upgrades, rockshoks, maxxis, havoc handlebar, raceface stem-img-20170501-wa0007_zps0kjdzxaf.jpeg

2.35 rear
    Trek Marlin 6 with upgrades, rockshoks, maxxis, havoc handlebar, raceface stem-20170514_112317_zpsboibsvtf.jpg

Trek Marlin 6 with upgrades, rockshoks, maxxis, havoc handlebar, raceface stem-20170514_112336_zps8nljyuyo.jpg
    Last edited by regiobike; 05-14-2017 at 09:31 AM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    btw im considering the KS eTen dropper
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...A37XMQ09GSQCOX

RAKC Industries
    Jan 2017
    Really nice build.

FYI as you start doing serious trail riding your going to hate that huge seat. Big padded seats like that are not a good thing.

Get an aftermarket seat that fits properly (WTB makes some great ones, padding is enough even for us Clyde's) and you'll understand . Big seats create​ chaffing issues and get in the way horribly when trying to move around the bike.

Also, there is NO reason for a dropper in those bikes. It's added weight and money that's better spent on wheels.

Not sure why everyone keeps saying you can't ride without a dropper post and everyone must have one because they are 100% wrong. Most riders don't need them, they don't get used (or as about to be in this case used with a huge seat that defeats the purpose of a dropper anyway).

None of my bikes have a dropper yet. My plus bike may get one because I'm riding it on trails I never used to ride at all.

Take the money you plan to waste on dropper posts and spent it on better wheels and such that will actually make your riding better.

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk
    Life on a bike doesn't begin till the sun goes down.

US partner for Ravemen:
    www.rakclighting.com

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Thanks a lot my friend!!!, there is a friend who sells me the MT35 shimano for about 190 bucks front and rear, is good price? wheels?

RAKC Industries
    Jan 2017
    Wheels that cheap won't be any better than stock wheels. Wheels are the one place you can bargin shop but try to get the best you can. A GOOD set of wheels is probably the best thing that can be done to entry level bikes.

Stiffer for better control

10x more durable, not going to be easy to damage them compared to the stock wheels. As well as many trouble free seasons of use.

Lighter weight, the one place it truly matters for the average riders is the wheels and tires. Keeping the weight down there make the bike respond better and easier on the legs and lungs on long climbs.

US partner for Ravemen:
    www.rakclighting.com

meatier showers
    Just another perspective on dropper posts, a different one.

I bought my first dropper post just before a trip to Moab seven years ago -- everybody said I'd need one. Since I hadn't ridden a dropper post before, I practically forgot to use it. Sold the dropper when I got home from that trip, convinced I didn't need a dropper post.

Fast forward to today. I've got two bikes with dropper posts and I wouldn't consider doing any performance riding without one. My buddy said it best, "You don't need a dropper until you learn how to ride differently. There's a reason the fastest guys on the planet use them." Well, it's true. I learned how to ride differently. Now I use my dropper more than I use my shifter.

If you're not going to learn how to ride faster by getting behind the seat (where your jewels would be in harms way without a dropper) plus land drops that would make you smack your sack without a dropper, then save your money. But if you really want to learn to tear it up -- safely -- well, once you've owned a dropper and become proficient in its use, you'll wonder how anybody rides fast without one.

=sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

MTB B'dos
    OP, bike looks nice, glad you're enjoying it, some decent worthwhile upgrades so far, although going for a higher model would have made sense with what you've probably spent on it so far. I wouldn't bother spending anymore money on it, just ride it as is, drop some weight and think about what like and don't like about it and plan for your next bike - a set of Shimano Deore brakes, with bigger rotors would be a good move at your weight though, those Tektro's won't cut it at your weight if you start to hit some good downs.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    OP, bike looks nice, glad you're enjoying it, some decent worthwhile upgrades so far, although going for a higher model would have made sense with what you've probably spent on it so far. I wouldn't bother spending anymore money on it, just ride it as is, drop some weight and think about what like and don't like about it and plan for your next bike - a set of Shimano Deore brakes, with bigger rotors would be a good move at your weight though, those Tektro's won't cut it at your weight if you start to hit some good downs.

Yeah, thanks, when your local shop doesn't know much and the costumer either lol is hard to get something right and save money later. Y paid about 450 us for this bike at my local dealer, the next model was about 900-1000. I built cars so I love to taste things and feel the difference, I know most of the time get a fast car is easy and better than make a slow car faster.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Is there any wheels better than my AT550 around $200?.

RAKC Industries
    Jan 2017
    Not in that price range really. Might find a bargain bin deal somewhere for something slightly better . Double that budget you can do a lot better.

Quit letting money but a hole in your pocket and wasting it. Save it a little while so you have more to do it right the first time. Get good wheels etc. Otherwise you'll just be paying again later when you trash the cheap ones.

US partner for Ravemen:
    www.rakclighting.com

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by RAKC Ind View Post
    Not in that price range really. Might find a bargain bin deal somewhere for something slightly better . Double that budget you can do a lot better.

Quit letting money but a hole in your pocket and wasting it. Save it a little while so you have more to do it right the first time. Get good wheels etc. Otherwise you'll just be paying again later when you trash the cheap ones.

A friend of mine has the Shimano MT35 for $200 set new in box is a good wheel? Price?

or should i go with wtb asymmetric i35.
    Last edited by regiobike; 05-15-2017 at 09:40 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Really nice build.

FYI as you start doing serious trail riding your going to hate that huge seat. Big padded seats like that are not a good thing.

Get an aftermarket seat that fits properly (WTB makes some great ones, padding is enough even for us Clyde's) and you'll understand . Big seats create​ chaffing issues and get in the way horribly when trying to move around the bike.

Also, there is NO reason for a dropper in those bikes. It's added weight and money that's better spent on wheels.

Not sure why everyone keeps saying you can't ride without a dropper post and everyone must have one because they are 100% wrong. Most riders don't need them, they don't get used (or as about to be in this case used with a huge seat that defeats the purpose of a dropper anyway).

None of my bikes have a dropper yet. My plus bike may get one because I'm riding it on trails I never used to ride at all.

Take the money you plan to waste on dropper posts and spent it on better wheels and such that will actually make your riding better.

do you mind if i ask why thick gel seat is not a good idea? thanks

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    well another news... local shop did the conversion from 3x8 to 2x10 plus DTswiss wheels, all for $300 bucks.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    This may come across as rude, but you're the perfect example of wait til you have the money for a better model to start with, you took a low end bike, spent a bunch of money on it replacing stuff that wasn't broken or worn and still have a low end bike.
    OG Ripley v2
    Carver 420 TI

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    thats correct, next time i will buy one with no basic level parts. At this point i have already spend the money and im happy with it. I dont dont see your comment rude cause you are correct. I see this all the time in my shop(high performance cars). I guess this time it happens to me in the bike world lol.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Whoa, whoa, whoa. Settle down there speedy. How are you going to say something so crazy when you don't even use one regularly? I am constantly amazed how much I use and appreciate my bike that has a dropper and one would certainly help him improve his game on his bike.

You need to spend some time riding a bike with a dropper and learning how and when to use it before you start saying there is no reason for his bike to have one.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperStang View Post
    Whoa, whoa, whoa. Settle down there speedy. How are you going to say something so crazy when you don't even use one regularly? I am constantly amazed how much I use and appreciate my bike that has a dropper and one would certainly help him improve his game on his bike.

You need to spend some time riding a bike with a dropper and learning how and when to use it before you start saying there is no reason for his bike to have one.
    you are correct, im not expert of any kind, my track there is a afew downhills that the saddle are on my way to put my body position correctly, almost all the people there use a dropper in the track. I went last week about 3 times and double check what if my bike has it, ordered later. Im not planning to be the next champion of the world, so weight is not my concern, just ride and have fun.

RAKC Industries
    Jan 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperStang View Post

Ok should have said "no need" for one.

Dropper, like clipless, is an improvement for the already skilled. It removes the need for proper skill building for those that are not. Those that rode without them then started using them get the most from them. New riders cramming a dropper on their bike because everyone here says "you can't ride without one" is rediculous.

I have ridden with one, it's totally pointless so far here in the Midwest. Just another part to fail and add 1.5lbs to my bike for no reason except the rare segments descending where it actually helps being able to get lower. And having short stems/wide bars, I can get back and low without any issues.

I don't have them because they are not something that truly improves my ability to ride. I rarely see them anywhere in the 300mile range from home I've been. And none are on XC lvl bikes.

But I stand by my statement that the money is much better served in other areas of the bike first. Then determine if a dropper will actually make a difference beyond increased costs.

Making decisions with limited funds based on "bro feedback" is a bad idea. Putting those funds where they truly make a difference is smarter is all I am trying to point out.

US partner for Ravemen:
    www.rakclighting.com

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Ok should have said "no need" for one.

Dropper, like clipless, is an improvement for the already skilled. It removes the need for proper skill building for those that are not. Those that rode without them then started using them get the most from them. New riders cramming a dropper on their bike because everyone here says "you can't ride without one" is rediculous.

I have ridden with one, it's totally pointless so far here in the Midwest. Just another part to fail and add 1.5lbs to my bike for no reason except the rare segments descending where it actually helps being able to get lower. And having short stems/wide bars, I can get back and low without any issues.

I don't have them because they are not something that truly improves my ability to ride. I rarely see them anywhere in the 300mile range from home I've been. And none are on XC lvl bikes.

But I stand by my statement that the money is much better served in other areas of the bike first. Then determine if a dropper will actually make a difference beyond increased costs.

Making decisions with limited funds based on "bro feedback" is a bad idea. Putting those funds where they truly make a difference is smarter is all I am trying to point out.

Again not being rude toward the OP, but the OP isn't making the smartest decisions with his money anyway. His throwing it away.

Seriously what kind of Drive train and wheels can you get for $300 from an LBS with installation- basically the same crap or worse than came on the bike.

if you've worked with people and/or been on forums log enough you know you can't advise people like that. They ask for advice and ignore it.

You flat out told him that any wheels under $500 were going to be the same quality as what he had, yet he got a drivetrain and wheels for less than crap wheels.
    OG Ripley v2
    Carver 420 TI

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoTone View Post
    Again not being rude toward the OP, but the OP isn't making the smartest decisions with his money anyway. His throwing it away.

Seriously what kind of Drive train and wheels can you get for $300 from an LBS with installation- basically the same crap or worse than came on the bike.

if you've worked with people and/or been on forums log enough you know you can't advise people like that. They ask for advice and ignore it.

You flat out told him that any wheels under $500 were going to be the same quality as what he had, yet he got a drivetrain and wheels for less than crap wheels.
    Got XT and XTR, why? cause the owner of the shop owns my a favor, plus DT Swiss wheels.

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by regiobike View Post
    Got XT and XTR, why? cause the owner of the shop owns my a favor, plus DT Swiss wheels.
    I was going to say you must have gotten one heck of a deal if you got a drivetrain and DT's for that much.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012

I have ridden with one, it's totally pointless so far here in the Midwest.
    He's in Monterrey, Mexico. The terrain there looks like a dropper would be useful, IMO.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Yes Geralt, you are correct. Here is some pictures of our track, There is a few good downhills there.

BTW here is the what we installed on the back on the 2x10 conversion.
    Trek Marlin 6 with upgrades, rockshoks, maxxis, havoc handlebar, raceface stem-20170519_200500_zpsnare8iel.jpg

Trek Marlin 6 with upgrades, rockshoks, maxxis, havoc handlebar, raceface stem-img-20170419-wa0012_zpsyuoubs4u.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    well change my mind, got the Mavic Crossride 17 tubless wheels.
    Trek Marlin 6 with upgrades, rockshoks, maxxis, havoc handlebar, raceface stem-20170522_175644_zpsvp78162f.jpg

Trek Marlin 6 with upgrades, rockshoks, maxxis, havoc handlebar, raceface stem-20170522_175630_zpsbmnjhsai.jpg

mtbr member
    That came out sweet looking. I have that seat btw, it is like a cloud compared to my wtb, love it, I can ride all day on it. re dropper, personally I love it, I change height in degrees, not critical but I finally gave in and tried one, hard to go back...

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by vernondozier View Post
    That came out sweet looking. I have that seat btw, it is like a cloud compared to my wtb, love it, I can ride all day on it. re dropper, personally I love it, I change height in degrees, not critical but I finally gave in and tried one, hard to go back...
    Just installed and tested.. nice difference on the track, downhill is a great upgrade.

Trek Marlin 6 with upgrades, rockshoks, maxxis, havoc handlebar, raceface stem-20170523_171046_zpsxanbqexx.jpg

Trek Marlin 6 with upgrades, rockshoks, maxxis, havoc handlebar, raceface stem-20170523_171101_zpswdkae1m8.jpg

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I have the Trek X-Caliber 6 which has the same specs as the Marlin 6. The OP could have saved a lot of money and bought an X-Caliber 9 without having to do any upgrades.

RAKC Industries
    Jan 2017
    All the money he's wasted already in the short time this thread has been active he could have bought something a lot nicer than the x-cal 9....

Upgrading an entry bike that's brand new barely ridden is the most irresponsible thing a person can do with their money. 10x smarter thing to do would have been to take that money and buy a good bike.

It makes sense to have to do this over months/years. But spending several hundred in a couple weeks is crazy.

US partner for Ravemen:
    www.rakclighting.com

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Highland View Post
    I have the Trek X-Caliber 6 which has the same specs as the Marlin 6. The OP could have saved a lot of money and bought an X-Caliber 9 without having to do any upgrades.
    My local Trek dealer has it, i see the specs and price, making some math, i already spend about $80 usd(before the $350 usd i got for all the stock parts) less than X caliber 9 price here, Lets say the difference between my bike and the caliber now is the mavic wheels, the maxxis tires, my pedals and the remote on the rockshock, plus the dropper and the 750mm handlebar everything else is almost the same.

No idea if there is a difference (huge) on the frame or not.

All the money he's wasted already in the short time this thread has been active he could have bought something a lot nicer than the x-cal 9....

Upgrading an entry bike that's brand new barely ridden is the most irresponsible thing a person can do with their money. 10x smarter thing to do would have been to take that money and buy a good bike.

It makes sense to have to do this over months/years. But spending several hundred in a couple weeks is crazy.

I don't call wasted, cause I'm really learning from this, at least I can recognize what parts are better than others, yes, you are correct with the money I could get something much better, like why buying a 320i bmw if I can spend it on a 335i. Well, there are a lot of things on the road to learn, sometimes alone, some times with people on this forum, I discovered this place just a few weeks ago, maybe I could save money but I didn't. Maybe better idea will buy a nice frame and put everything there, we will see.

BTW i sold all the stock parts from the marlin, santour xtc, altus parts, wheels, tires, handle bar, stem and got about $350 usd for everything. So let say my investment is a bit less.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    With the amount of money spent, he could have bought a Trek Fuel EX5.

The only upgrade I did to my X-Cal 6 was the pedals ($40)... Nashbar Verge Platform Pedals. Everything else is standard issue. In my opinion, it would be a colossal waste of money to upgrade fork, wheels, drive train, etc... on my X-Cal 6. The 6 performs admirably for what I use it for.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Highland View Post
    With the amount of money spent, he could have bought a Trek Fuel EX5.

The only upgrade I did to my X-Cal 6 was the pedals ($40)... Nashbar Verge Platform Pedals. Everything else is standard issue. In my opinion, it would be a colossal waste of money to upgrade fork, wheels, drive train, etc... on my X-Cal 6. The 6 performs admirably for what I use it for.
    Trek Fuel EX5 cost the double of what I already spend. I spent less of what a x caliber 9 cost.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Trek Fuel EX5 cost the double of what I already spend. I spent less of what a x caliber 9 cost.
    I don't know about that. MSRP is $2,199 on Fuel EX5. 10% off MSRP is $1,979... which some Trek dealers will offer. With all of the upgrades (especially the RockShox fork) along with the cost of the original Marlin 6.... you are getting close enough to justify buying something between an X-Cal 9 and Fuel EX5. X-Cal 9 would have been a great choice for you. With a little more money, you could have had the Fuel.

To each his own. I wouldn't have bought a new bike and upgraded. For starters, I would have sold my used X-Cal 6 for about $350 and used that money as a down payment on a nice Fuel, Stache, ProCaliber, Remedy or Farley. To hell with upgrades.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    I spent 1280 for everything including the bike including labor, less 350 for the stock parts. Total 930. $1000 difference is not close for me if I want to buy the fuel
    Last edited by regiobike; 05-24-2017 at 05:07 PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I spent 1280 for everything on the bike including labor, less 350 for the stock parts. Total 930. $1000 difference is not close for me if I want to buy the fuel
    I've had my 2014 X-Cal 6 for four years this August. It's worth about $350 now. I gaurantee after 4 years, your Marlin 6... even with the upgrades, fork included, you'll be lucky to sell it for much more than $350. Like I said before, I didn't do anything but upgrade the pedals... and our bikes are pretty much equal in value after 4 years. Plus, my bike has a Suntour fork! This is why I don't do major upgrades.
    Last edited by Highland; 05-24-2017 at 01:12 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Locally you can get a Santa cruz, ghost, spec, frames for cheap I can transfer everything.

RAKC Industries
    Jan 2017
    Actually parts don't just always transfer between frames. Quite the opposite actually ( all those frames cheap screams stolen bikes) as seat tube diameter, bottom bracket standard, head tube, rear axle standard can ALL be different and likely will be unless you buy a frame that's no better than what you have.

There isn't anything wrong with the frame but buying and upgrading almost the cheapest mountain bike trek makes just isn't financially smart when your doing it just because you have the money burning a whole in your pocket. Buying the cheapest upgrades you can means they will be worth nothing down the road. Buying good parts means they would be worth something and more likely to fit a better frame later.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

US partner for Ravemen:
    www.rakclighting.com

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Didn't know if XT front/rear derailleur, brakes, rockshock are cheap parts or not, at this point i know i can use them later or trade for other parts locally. Anyway love how my "cheap" bike rides. A lot learned maybe an expensive way, people will say i waste the money, a lot of different ideas of how to approach to a new hobby, for sure my next bike will be something with a lot of good parts and frame meanwhile i will enjoy this one.Thanks for all the advice and more than welcome any comment.
    Last edited by regiobike; 05-24-2017 at 05:13 PM.

RAKC Industries
    Jan 2017
    XT isn't cheap stuff, that's very good.

Tektro brakes are entry level. Useable but money would have been much better spent on even the cheaper Shimano hydraulic brakes.

Recon is a step above entry level, solid fork just nothing fancy.

Matter isn't that anything is wrong with your bike, it's NICE. And managing to get over $300 out of your take off parts is unheard of, so your getting lucky which helps.

It's one of those things where you are enjoying it and that's awesome. But we are just trying to make sure you understand that your not going to have some high dollar bike worth good money later and your parts aren't going to be worth 1/2 what you paid for them a couple years down the road.

So enjoy the heck out of the bike, but realize some parts may not work in another frame and your going to have more in the bike than buying something as good/better out of the shops.

I did the same thing but over a fair amount of time on my first real mountain bike. Like months/years. Learned a lot along the way at least. This time though I bought the best bike I could possibly afford (and traded my previous bike in on it so I could spend more on the new bike).

Luckily for you it hasn't involved buying the speciality tools yet, you'll rack up a good amount of money doing that.

US partner for Ravemen:
    www.rakclighting.com

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    180mm shimano Ice came, installed on the bike, will work nice with the XT M8000 brakes next week.
    Trek Marlin 6 with upgrades, rockshoks, maxxis, havoc handlebar, raceface stem-20170525_154043_zpsl3c1v0gj.jpg

Trek Marlin 6 with upgrades, rockshoks, maxxis, havoc handlebar, raceface stem-20170525_155425_zps3slhfnts.jpg

Trek Marlin 6 with upgrades, rockshoks, maxxis, havoc handlebar, raceface stem-20170525_154723_zpslgl37dvd.jpg

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    You don't ride with the lever in that position do you?
    OG Ripley v2
    Carver 420 TI

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoTone View Post
    You don't ride with the lever in that position do you?
    lol, no! i was installing everything back with the handlebar before final positions.

mtbr member
    If it makes you happy...I see nothing wrong with it.

I used to be a car guy and friends that are car guys that started riding bikes. The upgrade bug is hard to fight. A friend of mine got into mountain biking a couple years ago. Bought carbon Camber...he immediately started switching out parts. Then built up another bike. Now he he's back into his cars.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by RS VR6 View Post
    If it makes you happy...I see nothing wrong with it.

I used to be a car guy and friends that are car guys that started riding bikes. The upgrade bug is hard to fight. A friend of mine got into mountain biking a couple years ago. Bought carbon Camber...he immediately started switching out parts. Then built up another bike. Now he he's back into his cars.

yes, i know i have a performance shop(500hp+ 2.0T, 1.8T, 800hp sti´s Evos and now into porsches and amg´s). I use to modify my cars algo after i got kids lol so went to airplanes then bikes.... so. I guess at least i make excersice too.

For now i will ride and have fun withe the bike, we will see what comes later.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Damn thats nice. Need a pic of the whole bike now that you have it all together! Also where did you get the KS eTen? Ive been trying to buy one but everyone is backordered. Jenson cant get me one until late June.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    the KS eTen i got it from amazon, from what i see it also says back order. Works nice and fast enough for me.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    got the XT M8000, tested today and what a difference!!!.

Trek Marlin 6 with upgrades, rockshoks, maxxis, havoc handlebar, raceface stem-20170601_163635_zpscut30y1e.jpg

Trek Marlin 6 with upgrades, rockshoks, maxxis, havoc handlebar, raceface stem-20170601_155840_zpsl9cucdgx.jpg

Trek Marlin 6 with upgrades, rockshoks, maxxis, havoc handlebar, raceface stem-20170601_160941_zpsq3np8oky.jpg

Trek Marlin 6 with upgrades, rockshoks, maxxis, havoc handlebar, raceface stem-20170601_185144_zps9ivdt50n.jpg

Trek Marlin 6 with upgrades, rockshoks, maxxis, havoc handlebar, raceface stem-20170601_185052_zpstxox5ekk.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Trek Marlin 6 with upgrades, rockshoks, maxxis, havoc handlebar, raceface stem-20170601_185228_zpsmybsbdrd.jpg

Trek Marlin 6 with upgrades, rockshoks, maxxis, havoc handlebar, raceface stem-20170601_185251_zpse7wlnwi3.jpg

Trek Marlin 6 with upgrades, rockshoks, maxxis, havoc handlebar, raceface stem-20170601_163730_zpsoai091kp.jpg

Trek Marlin 6 with upgrades, rockshoks, maxxis, havoc handlebar, raceface stem-20170601_185052_zpstxox5ekk.jpg

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Why all the flack from so many? Not like he's spending your money!

Nice bike man, and it's always fun modifying and customizing your bike the way you like.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Douwe View Post

Nice bike man, and it's always fun modifying and customizing your bike the way you like.
    Seriously...

For example my Marlin needed new brakes. I can spend $90 on PinkBike for a brand new set of SLXs and have good brakes now, or save my money for a year, ride with shitty brakes for a year, and have better brakes in a year when I upgrade bikes... Tough choice.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017

Thanks!!! i really like to modify this bike, tested a few days ago and again, feels amazing.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Quote Originally Posted by SCxXxMTB View Post
    Seriously...

For example my Marlin needed new brakes. I can spend $90 on PinkBike for a brand new set of SLXs and have good brakes now, or save my money for a year, ride with shitty brakes for a year, and have better brakes in a year when I upgrade bikes... Tough choice.
    It's not flack, we were only saying he would have been served by buying a better bike from the get go.

It's one thing to buy what you can afford and upgrade as you break parts, it another to buy low end and then turn around and spend $500 or more on it- that's a waste.

Great his money, but you forget other people will read this thread and hopefully they see the advice given in here.
    OG Ripley v2
    Carver 420 TI

RAKC Industries
    Jan 2017
    Same here, its his decision but financially it's a very poor one. It's a bottom of the line entry bike regardless of what he does.

I went down this road over a few years and still came to realize the bike I could have had by the time it was over.

Just hoping most people that see this don't think it's a good idea. OP has built a nice bike and ultimately the decision was his. Plus he caught a bit of 1 in a million luck being able to sell his takes off parts for more than $50 (about all they are worth).

I'm am orange fan and love the look of the bike, I've just made his mistake and trying to save those I can from repeating it.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

US partner for Ravemen:
    www.rakclighting.com

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    i do not agree 100%. At that time i just have $500 bucks, now i can spend more money, HERE where i live i spent less money that a Trek with that kind of parts installed, so for me is a win. Im not saying you are not correct or you are. Also is a learning process, yes took me money to learn but well at least i enjoyed. So for me is people can see they can upgrade parts on their "cheap" bikes, is a better investment buy a bike will all in? yes, so people who come and see the thread can see what option to choose.

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    I dig it man! To each their own. Haters gonna hate.

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Amazing build! You showed the potential in upgrading a lower-end bike. Some individuals may not choose this path but I'm sure you gained some valuable experience by putting in the wrench time.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by BikeKnight View Post
    Amazing build! You showed the potential in upgrading a lower-end bike. Some individuals may not choose this path but I'm sure you gained some valuable experience by putting in the wrench time.
    Thanks BikeKnight. You are correct, The experience gained on this build helped me to identify a lot of difference things on this MTB world, a lot more to learn, i will enjoy this bike for a few months before buying something else. The only part is not installed but will be on the bike is the 160mm ice rotor in the back.

I made a list of everything isntalled and how much i spent. At least if i go to any local store that carry more of the brands, i need about $300-400 more to get something similar with all the components i have now. Trade my stock parts of course helped.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Got some parts put on my Marlin this weekend... figured id share. Really the only thing I want now is some new wheels and a dropper.

mtbr member
    That looks really nice. Just bought the Marlin 5, and bought green grips, black and green pedals, and Maxxis tubeless tires. I just posted about upgrading it, and I know mine is entry level, but all I want to change are the derailers and fork. Then swap them out when I eventually sell it. Nice Bike, man.
    Apart from when it hurts, I mostly enjoy single track.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by MarshallMTB View Post
    That looks really nice. Just bought the Marlin 5, and bought green grips, black and green pedals, and Maxxis tubeless tires. I just posted about upgrading it, and I know mine is entry level, but all I want to change are the derailers and fork. Then swap them out when I eventually sell it. Nice Bike, man.
    Before you spend more money make sure you know what you're getting into. You mention a new fork and derailers and swapping it out when you sell the Marlin.

I doubt your next bike is going to be a 7 speed with a 1/8 inch fork, so it's money that doesn't transfer to the next bike.

Hence all the advice against spending money on low end bikes.
    OG Ripley v2
    Carver 420 TI

RAKC Industries
    Jan 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by MarshallMTB View Post
    Ill say the same, not much of that bike will swap out and dumping that much into a bottom level entry bike it wont be worth anything and likely the forks wont fit a new one. Wheels wont if you upgrade bikes and if you buy a nice bike chances are the parts will be better than what youd upgrade to right now.

Only plus side to this is learning. But there is cost of tools and such too. You cant just change the derailluers, means new chain and cassette at minimum, tools to do that and so on.

The thread here if he spent and made what he said is a 1 in a million occurrence.

US partner for Ravemen:
    www.rakclighting.com

mtbr member
    Ill say the same, not much of that bike will swap out and dumping that much into a bottom level entry bike it wont be worth anything and likely the forks wont fit a new one. Wheels wont if you upgrade bikes and if you buy a nice bike chances are the parts will be better than what youd upgrade to right now.

Only plus side to this is learning. But there is cost of tools and such too. You cant just change the derailluers, means new chain and cassette at minimum, tools to do that and so on.

The thread here if he spent and made what he said is a 1 in a million occurrence.

Haha - I actually agree now, too. Just gonna ride it and sell it after a year. Looking at bikes around $1,000/1,200 area for my next bike. After that I'll get a full suspension, but I want a decent hardtail that I can upgrade parts. A hardtail I will keep for a long time.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Well, for me this was a learning curve, yes i spent a lot of money on this bike. For what i see i ended with a lot of good parts which i transfered to my new frame (Santa Cruz Tallboy C). Almost all the parts were used on the new frame, just the front shock did not. I upgrade to Fox 32 4fit. So Brakes(XT), crankset(2x10 Deore, later 1x11 XT with 46T), seatpost, handlebar, stem, mavic wheels, maxxis tires are now on the new bike. Honestly for the money i spent i couldnt buy a bike with this parts on any local shop for lower or same price, I did compare all the trek bikes with XT group and it was huge money difference for what i spent on this upgrades, at least in my town.

But i agree, sometimes we can see some great deals out there to get a good bike with top of the line group.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    This is my setup now

Enviado desde mi SAMSUNG-SM-N910A mediante Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Job done well.