mtbr member
    May 2013

Trek Mamba vs. Specialized Rockhopper 29 or the airborne guardian?

Guys,

please help me choose between these three? From these three which one would you feel most confident recommending to a best friend? The mamba, I can get for $900 from my lbs.

Thanks so much for helping out an undecided fellow rider.

Mamba - Trek Bicycle

Specialized Bicycle Components

Airborne Bicycles. Guardian
    Last edited by WarG; 05-18-2013 at 09:11 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Have you ridden the Trek or Spec?

Do you have experience with bikes?

The Airbornes are nice but that fork on the that particular model is even worse than the XC32 on the Mamba.

The Goblin would be more like the Cobia with nicer components and an Air fork.

Depends on what type I terrain and attributes you are looking for but the Mamba has a good 1.5 degree slacker HTA over the Airborne. Don't recall the Specialized.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by _Alberto_ View Post
    Have you ridden the Trek or Spec?

Do you have experience with bikes?

The Airbornes are nice but that fork on the that particular model is even worse than the XC32 on the Mamba.
    No experienced at all, tried the mamba and rockhopper around the block. The mamba felt better.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    The Suntour fork on the Spec is designed for bike paths and easy trails. The XC32 on the Mamba can handle all trail difficulty levels. It is less flexy than the 28mm stanchion XC28 on the Guardian. Spec uses twitchy geo on their hard tails, the Mamba has slacker geo.

mtbr member
    I got my son a RH comp and I have road it around, it is not bad for the price. At your skill level you will not notice fork flex or this fork vs that fork. Ride what you feel fits you better. For $900-$1100 they all are pretty close. Better fork, lesser shifters or wheels, lesser fork better derailers, ect. Once you get some experience on a bike then you can upgrade or sell and invest in another bike. RH comp frame is not a bad place to start. However, the other two are very close. Just looked at the Mamba, that bike seems to have the best cmpts and price. Airborn is not bad but much lower shock. RH is the lower model, for a few more $$ or if your LBS will drop 10-15% off the RH comp it would be a better starting point. RH comp had the tapered head tube which stiffens up your ride a bit. Having a Tapered head tube is nice. While the Airborne is the best choice for the price. I would put it in 3rd place on your list with the Trek in 1st.

Mark
    Last edited by millertm; 05-19-2013 at 04:24 AM.
    2012 XXL Carve Expert

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by eb1888 View Post
    . It is less flexy than the 28mm stanchion XC28 on the Guardian. Spec uses twitchy geo on their hard tails, the Mamba has slacker geo.
    thanks Eb,

sorry but because of my limited knowledge I don't know what these means.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by millertm View Post
    I got my son a RH comp and I have road it around, it is not bad for the price. At your skill level you will not notice fork flex or this fork vs that fork. Ride what you feel fits you better. For $900-$1100 they all are pretty close. Better fork, lesser shifters or wheels, lesser fork better derailers, ect. Once you get some experience on a bike then you can upgrade or sell and invest in another bike. RH comp frame is not a bad place to start. However, the other two are very close. Just looked at the Mamba, that bike seems to have the best cmpts and price. Airborn is not bad but much lower shock. RH is the lower model, for a few more $$ or if your LBS will drop 10-15% off the RH comp it would be a better starting point. RH comp had the tapered head tube which stiffens up your ride a bit. Having a Tapered head tube is nice.

Mark
    Hi Markz,

I really want to stay under 1k including taxes. People here seem to love the guardian, the one thing that is keeping from committing to the guardian is the lack of the in person interactin to resolve any potential issues that may arise and the frame quality which nobody seems to address on this forum. At my weight of ~165 the fork would be ok, I'm told.

Wished I could just go for any of them and deal with it, but I'm known to not make easy decisions difficult.

Hope to decide on one this weekend.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Unlike bikedirect you can call Airborne and talk to them about fit, assembly and tuning. They have good customer service.

Stanchions are the tubes making up the upper half of the fork.
    Geo refers to the measurements of the frame including segment lengths and angles of head tube and seat tube.

mtbr member
    Good luck with the shopping. I understand about the money, believe me. If you need to wait a month or so to save up it might be worth it in the long run. If not, look at craiglist or used bikes. You can get a 1 or 2 year old bike for $1k easy that is much better. About the Geo, I do admit that the spec is a bit twitchy on the road but corners great in the dirt. I love the hip steering that I get on my Carve and the RH's geo is very close to my bike. With your weight any of these bikes will work well. Keep us posted on you choice.

Mark
    2012 XXL Carve Expert

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by WarG View Post
    thanks Eb,

sorry but because of my limited knowledge I don't know what these means.
    I'll translate the Chinese again.

What that means is that the suspension forks on the Mamba have 32mm stanchions on the XC32 fork which makes them stronger and therefore less flexible than the 28mm stanchions on the XC28 forks on the Guardian. I doubt that you'd notice the difference as a beginner and at your weight. By twitchy geo on the Specialized Rockhopper versus slacker geometry Eb1888 is referring to the fact that the Rockhopper headtube angle is a steeper 71 degrees versus the slacker 69.5 degree headtube angle of the Trek. The slacker headtube angle makes the handling more relaxed and better for a trail bike and for descending.

If you have concerns about buying online then if I were you I'd get the Trek Mamba. You said you liked it better than the Rockhopper and it has a good entry level fork. No need to worry about upgrading the fork on the Mamba. It's a nice bike. Just get it and ride.