Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    mtbr member

New question here. Trek full suspension 29ers- when available? no 96ers&650Bers

Hello
    I am curious why trek has not yet introduced 29ers. They have technology from Fisher and even relabelling GF to Trek would increase sales and draw more attention to 29ers. What do you think?
    Last edited by Davidcopperfield; 11-28-2007 at 06:11 PM.

Schipperkes are cool.
    It's Trek...................
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee
    Better suited to non-aggressive 125# gals named Russell.

i also unicycle
    Jan 2007
    they already have 29ers, they've just got fisher stickers on them. same people. i doubt they care.
    mtbr says you should know: i work in a bike shop.
    bikes & beers (on my blog) http://idontrideenough.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    I think they got it covered well, selling their GF line as 29ers and keeping the Trek name with the 69er, know this year the new Fuel 69er, and hardtail 69er in addition to last years 69er SS. I think this new Fuel is gonna be a pretty good setup for lots of folks for racing. Next year i bet they offer their new rear axel pivot design in a 69er.

just ride
    I doubt that putting the trek name on them would increase sales.

Fisher relies heavily on the fact that they were the first big name in the 29er game, and the freaky dude they got their namesake from is somehow mixed up with all those that claim to have invented the concept.

As many have expressed on this board, there are people who give Fisher the business because they were the first to dive off the deep end. There is something to be said about that, and I think Trek sees that the money is in keeping that Fisher name synonymous with 29ers.
    MTBR Disclaimer: I work for Salsa Cycles
    Ride: www.chequamegon100.com

Captain Underpants
    I think . . . . . [SIZE="7"]KA-BLAM![/SIZE]

That was the sound of my head exploding.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chequamagon
    There is something to be said about that, and I think Trek sees that the money is in keeping that Fisher name synonymous with 29ers.
    You missed the point. As GF and trek manufacture 26ers separately, then why only GF produces 29ers? Why not implement Trek's 29er version of their 26ers?- that is what I am wondering about. The more the better. If not why not label all trek bikes with GF sticker?

For instance GF introduced Hi-Fi 29ers and Trek can introduce Top Fuel & Fuel EX 29ers. Trek could invest into geeting some Fox talas 36mm manufactured and it would not diminish a GF role in any way.

just ride
    Quote Originally Posted by Davidcopperfield
    You missed the point. As GF and trek manufacture 26ers separately, then why only GF produces 29ers? Why not implement Trek's 29er version of their 26ers?- that is what I am wondering about. The more the better. If not why not label all trek bikes with GF sticker?

For instance GF introduced Hi-Fi 29ers and Trek can introduce Top Fuel & Fuel EX 29ers. Trek could invest into geeting some Fox talas 36mm manufactured and it would not diminish a GF role in any way.
    You missed the point. Its not about cool bikes. Its about money. All large bike corporations are this way, Big T, Big S, Big G. Not to mention, Trek and Fisher do not manufacture seperately. Its all the same crap, and the stickers are applied to particular models to align with marketing schemes. All industries are this way, it is called perceived value marketing.

Oh, and you missed the other point. You are a freak show and your ideas are about as grounded in reality as a Mars spacewalk.
    MTBR Disclaimer: I work for Salsa Cycles
    Ride: www.chequamegon100.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Hello
    I am curious why trek has not yet introduced 29ers. They have technology from Fisher and even relabelling GF to Trek would increase sales and draw more attention to 29ers. What do you think?
    Trek and Fisher are part of the same big American bike company. A lot of dealers carry both brands, and it would increase inventory a bunch to double up so to speak. Also, Fisher does fine with mtbs in general, but 29ers in particular, so Trek tends to leave that market to them, while pretty much keeping the high end road bike market for themselves (and Le Mond, I guess).

I guess the short answer is BRAND IDENTITY.

Whatever the case, I have my fingers crossed that the new Fuel rear sus finds its way onto a Fisher 29er next year. That is one sweet setup!
    The drive towards achievement and success is the motive power of civilization.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chequamagon
    Oh, and you missed the other point. You are a freak show and your ideas are about as grounded in reality as a Mars spacewalk.
    I laughed out loud at the computer... AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !

mtbr member

New question here.

Quote Originally Posted by kosmo
    Also, Fisher does fine with mtbs in general, but 29ers in particular, so Trek tends to leave that market to them, while pretty much keeping the high end road bike market for themselves (and Le Mond, I guess).

I guess the short answer is BRAND IDENTITY.
    I did not deny that way of conception, yet trek manufacture mtb 26ers and I ask why 26ers only and not 29ers? If they introduced 69er/96er then why not 99/29ers?
    If it is the same company and it is banal.

Self-defeatist
    I did not deny that way of conception,
    Hee hee, It's good to be open to new things. *snicker*

Trek will not produce 29ERS unless it is economically feasible. If you really understand that point, don't look at it with the "More choice is better," outlook. No large bike company can afford that outlook.

Instead, why don't you suggest that GF go all 29ers and trek all 26ers. Might happen.
    I'm covered in beer.

No longer 26
    Quote Originally Posted by CLONG
    :

Instead, why don't you suggest that GF go all 29ers and trek all 26ers. Might happen.
    My DC style somewhat related question is not so much when will GF go all 29 but when will they stop offering 2 models of the same bike in all sizes. Why not go all out with only 29s on at least the largest 2 sizes, both wheel sizes for the middle size and 26 for the smallest 2 sizes. Or even 29 for biggest 3 and 26 for smallest. ie Superfly XS and SM in 26, Med in 26 and 29, Lg and XL in 29.

I know, I know, small riders can benefit from a 29er as well but it may or may not make sizing sense to the typical consumer. I think it would be easier to sell the concept of bigger wheels on the bigger bike size etc. Especially since GF hisself is a taller rider.

G (secret admirer of DC's posts cause they can lead to something fun)
    You can't depend on honest answers from dependant hands...

I just passed you

Cheq. is the man!

I want whatever bike Cheq. is riding because he's smarter than me for sure and seems to have his finger on the pulse of the entire cycling industry. Been to the "evil black tower of death" for a factory visit recently? It's amazing that so much under-engineered, poorly executed and manufactured product can come out of small town Wisconsin.

Chrismas time is the season of love, remember?!

...Oh yeah, from my Trek contact, Fisher is it for 29ers/Trek for 69ers with no plans to change.
    Ride a decent line, won't ya!

willtsmith_nwi
    Quote Originally Posted by G-Live
    My DC style somewhat related question is not so much when will GF go all 29 but when will they stop offering 2 models of the same bike in all sizes. Why not go all out with only 29s on at least the largest 2 sizes, both wheel sizes for the middle size and 26 for the smallest 2 sizes. Or even 29 for biggest 3 and 26 for smallest. ie Superfly XS and SM in 26, Med in 26 and 29, Lg and XL in 29.
    Trek does short top tubes. Fisher and Lemond does the longer top tubes. Long top tubes are a natural fit for 29ers and Fisher started with em' so why change it.

I think Trek has a good marketing plan. They'll push 69ers to those who fall into the gearing trap and Fisher will keep selling full 29ers.

Now, here is the other issue. The 29er hardtail is effectively filling the old market segment for the race hardtail. It's filling a pricepoint niche and the bike companies don't seem eager to sell $400 29ers stocked with junk components even though they can. Fisher needs a whole bike lineup, not just high end stuff. So I would expect to see the 26ers stay in the lineup until some enterprising company starts making $500 geared 29er hardtails and forces everyone else to do so.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    It's filling a pricepoint niche and the bike companies don't seem eager to sell $400 29ers stocked with junk components even though they can. Fisher needs a whole bike lineup, not just high end stuff. So I would expect to see the 26ers stay in the lineup until some enterprising company starts making $500 geared 29er hardtails and forces everyone else to do so.[/QUOTE]

I've spoken with the Fisher product manager about cheaper 29er bikes. They will not be doing them in the near future. At this point in time the lesser expensive 29er forks and wheel sets are so heavy that they don't feel that people would have much fun riding them. They would actually have more fun with riding the inferior wheel size because the weight would be so much lighter.
    "Nothing unreal exists".

mtbr member
    Will Trek lag so much behind? Why don't they just add a bigger rear wheel to the Fuel 69er? An option of 99er won't blight sales.

mtbr member
    Maybe somebody at Trek got over enthusiastic (we have seen it here one or twice ) and decided that a 29er wheel is like 2 inches of suspension.
    My rides:
    Lynskey Ti Pro29 SL singlespeed
    KHS Team 29
    S-Works Roubaix SL3 Dura Ace
    Pake French 75 track

willtsmith_nwi
    Holy Zombie Thread Batman!!!!

mtbr member
    May 2005
    The real question, is when are we going to see ABP suspension on GF 29ers?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Oliver
    The real question, is when are we going to see ABP suspension on GF 29ers?
    That's what we argue really about not a "Trek" label. If GF did trek's top fuel and call whatever he wants, it is fine with me. I'm good.

mtbr member
    So is Trek even considering joining 29er market? Not 69ers or under GF label but their own Top Fuel 29er?

mtbr member
    A reply I've gotten.
    Our 2010 models will be debuting
    sometime in mid to late August. We have not heard of plans for a 29er
    on the Trek end, but stranger things have happened.

a real Fuel Ex 29er, no sh!t!

mtbr member
    Okay gals and guys who wants a carbon Fuex Ex 29er with new 2011 Fox 120mm talas 15mm on board?

That would be a bad ass !

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I assure you there are prototype Trek 29ers out there. I have a pro friend who will remain nameless that has seen them. Unfortunately, he is a roadie and can't remember if it's a hardtail or fuel.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast