mtbr member
    Mar 2014

Trek Fuel EX 9 2008 worth $1250?

Hi all,
    I have the opportunity to buy a 2008 Trek Fuel EX 9. It has been upgraded with a Crankbrothers Cobalt XC Twin Pair spoke wheelset as well as an Avid Juicy Carbon lever and brakes. I have negotiated the seller down to $1250 and just was wondering if this is worth it or if i should hold out for something different.

its between this or $1000 for a 2009 ellsworth truth.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by itsbs2 View Post
    Hi all,
    I have the opportunity to buy a 2008 Trek Fuel EX 9. It has been upgraded with a Crankbrothers Cobalt XC Twin Pair spoke wheelset as well as an Avid Juicy Carbon lever and brakes. I have negotiated the seller down to $1250 and just was wondering if this is worth it or if i should hold out for something different.

its between this or $1000 for a 2009 ellsworth truth.

Thanks!
    Yes, even though it's an old model I believe that $1250 is a fair price if the condition is good of course.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    According to Bikepedia it msrp for $3400, see link below. It is 6 years old and this was probably before hydroformed and tapered was standard for frames. It might also be before pre-ABP trek suspension. Trek suspension prior to ABP was mediocre at best.

A grand might be worth it, but to me it still seems high. If it were me I'd pass completely and look for a used 26" Full suspension with a better suspension design. Or save your money and go 29er hard tail, e.g., salsa el mariachi...

mtbr member
    Mar 2009

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I found a trek catalogue from 2008 and the fuel ex 9 has abp suspension...I son't recall when trek started using abp, but initially they only offered it on the top line and with their many different model numbers it was a bit confusing....

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
    If the bike is in really good condition, it is definitely worth it.
    Big Wheels Keep On Rolling

Forth Eorlingas!

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Thank you all for the replies. I have decided, however, that I need to do more research and then go from there. Ill be spending some time in the beginners forums...

Long Live the Gorn!
    Good man...I think CJB summed it up well. I would not pay 1K+ for any 6yr old bike / frame.
    I would look for a used 29er hardtail that is more current. That's a great place to start for a beginner.

mtbr member
    Being an owner of an '08 Fuel EX9, and the owner of a '14 EX8 29er, the EX9, although older, is EVERY BIT as good, if not BETTER in some ways than my new bike.

I find the '08 TALAS fork and the RP23 rear shock, with the 2.4:1 linkage ratio to be superior in a lot of ways to the Float CTD suspension on my '14.

I also like the frame on the '08 more than the '14. (I know we're not talking about a 2014 Fuel, but it is all I have to compare it to) The '08 IS indeed ABP, and I believe was the first year for the production ABP. The frame is hydroformed, as the toptube, downtube, and the swingarm tubing has beautiful curvature to it, where my '14 is straight tubing with a curved piece welded on at the frame. Welds are beautiful on the '08, compared to my '14. The new bike has heavy, chunky welds.

I do wish the '08 had a thru-axle. I like that. Can't say I notice any performance benefits yet (haven't been able to really push the '14 due to weather), but I like the functionality of the thru-axle in the front more.

I firmly believe mine is worth more than you got that guy to, but mine also has only minor paint scuffs and chips. I cannot find one solid chip in the paint on my downtube above the bottom bracket.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I had a 08 EX9 and it was a great bike. The only reason I sold it was to get a 09
    carbon EX9.9. The EX9 in 08 was the top of the line aluminum EX bike Trek made.
    If its in great shape and it fits you good it is probably not a bad deal. However if
    its not in great shape I would offer less or pass. Also as DethWshBkr said it does
    have hydroformed tubes and ABP.

mtbr member
    Noticed this is in the 29"section of the forum, worth clarifying that the 08 EX is NOT 29" it's 26"

Sorry if i'm teaching chickens to lay eggs, but i thought it wise for the op to be 100% sure.
    1994 Fully Rigid Diamond Back Axis TT
    2009 Trek Fuel Ex 7