mtbr member
    Sep 2018

Trek Fuel EX 8 vs Intense Carbine Foundation Build

Trying to decide on my first bike and I have it between two bikes (in title).
    Wondering if anyone has thoughts between:
    Trek Fuel Ex 8
    vs
    Intense Carbine Foundation Build

I live in FL so the terrain is flat but I plan to make trips to TN and GA.
    The Intense has extra travel and is also 11 speed vs the Trek 12.
    I've read the Fuel EX is more of a versatile bike too. They also seem to have better customer service.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dseg42 View Post
    Trek Fuel Ex 8
    vs

I've read the Fuel EX is more of a versatile bike too. They also seem to have better customer service.
    Fuel. My reasons
    Better warranty.
    Better suspension in my opinion
    Better drivetrain. I have 2 bikes with Eagle. Never use the 50T, but the grear spread is nice and that 10T is fun when you get up to speed and can hold it lol
    Fuel can be ran 27.5+ and 29er. The intense can't
    Fuel is fit your area of riding if you have more flats. 160mm bikes SUCK on flat pedaling

Intense is also starting to go to customer direct. Few LBS's have stopped stocking them due to this. They can order them still.
    Too Many .

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by dseg42 View Post
    Trek Fuel Ex 8
    vs

I am in no way an expert,but wouldn't the Primer be a better comparison to the Fuel EX?Or maybe the Sniper Trail?

As far as the bikes you mentioned the Carbine has a carbon fibre frame but has lower specced drive train...the Fuel EX8 has an aluminum frame but a better drive train and will cost you several hundred dollars more with tax.I would think with the savings you could upgrade the Carbine to at least GX if not XO,or maybe a mixture of the two.Have you considered the Sniper?You can get the Sniper Trail NM(about .5 pounds heavier and $500 less than the SL version) frame for $2000 on their site and for the near $4000 you'd spend on the Fuel EX you could build a very nice bike I think.

Also,have you considered buying used?The Fuel EX is a nice bike and there are some really nice deals on newer models that are in great shape on ebay.I don't know your size so I just posted different sized frames.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2017-TREK-F...YAAOSw7fBbqSMX

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2017-Trek-F...YAAOSwiJhbs32G

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Trek-Fuel-E...QAAOSwLNpbjUcr

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Trek-Fuel-E...AAAOSwuMNbVLM6

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2017-Trek-F...8AAOSwtFxbnHJx

Again the Fuel EX is a very nice bike,almost bought one myself but instead bought an Intense Sniper SL Trail frame that I will build up using SRAM 11 speed components I already have,because to be honest I really don't need another grannie gear.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Like the others said...The two bikes you listed are fairly different...130 xc-ish trail bike vs 160mm enduro bike. If most of your terrain is flat...the Carbine is a lot of bike to haul around.

I just got a Fuel EX and so far am very happy with it. With the reActiv shock, it can still stay pretty efficient when pedaling, but definitely can be ridden pretty hard downhill. I currently have a 140mm fork on the front, but have ridden it with 130mm front as well. I live in PA where we have a bit more elevation than Florida, but a lot more rocks. I have had a number of Trek full suspension bikes and have been very happy with all of them.