mtbr member
    Mar 2012

Trek Cobia Wheel Issue

So I weigh 223(down 4 pounds in 1.5 weeks since it got nice, shooting for 205) and tend to carry some stuff(camelbak, camera, etc) so I've got some weight on me.

Riding a 2012 Trek Cobia. Stock wheels. Earlier today I bunny hopped over a tree trunk, planted the back tire into a ditch on the other side, think I banged the rim off a rock, it made a terrible snap noise.

Inspected frame, derailluers quickly, all seemed okay and rode on.

Get to pavement and my buddy tells me my wheel's not straight. Inspect and determine I broke a spoke on the drive side at the nipple, wheel is bent so it is still ride able, doesn't rub with 29x2.3" but is clearly bent at bit.

Is it worth it to get a truing stand and do this myself? I'm mechanically inclined, but don't have a truing stand. I've always trued my tires by eye using the V brakes.

Should I just get the LBS to replace the spoke, or am I likely to break more? Should I replace all the spokes with stronger ones to handle my burly ass? Is this going to be a problem, and do I need stronger wheels? Kinda strapped for cash as I just bought my gf a new bike, got a 2012 klr 650 etc etc.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Just replace the spoke. IF you continue to break spokes, consider other options, like stronger wheels. Replacing a spoke is easy if you're comfortable removing and re-installing the cassette, rotor, tire/tube/rim-strip. You can use the bike as a truing stand; just rubber band a pencil to each seat-stay (to use as calipers) and start truing (after replacing the spoke, of course.)
    Or just pay your LBS the $15 to have them do it.

SSolo
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by mhickey79 View Post
    Just replace the spoke. IF you continue to break spokes, consider other options, like stronger wheels. Replacing a spoke is easy if you're comfortable removing and re-installing the cassette, rotor, tire/tube/rim-strip. You can use the bike as a truing stand; just rubber band a pencil to each seat-stay (to use as calipers) and start truing (after replacing the spoke, of course.)
    Or just pay your LBS the $15 to have them do it.
    Yes and make sure to check all spoke tensions after truing to make it last.
    Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life son...

mtbr member
    Mar 2012

Re: Trek Cobia Wheel Issue

If your bike is still covered under warranty take it to your lbs to get the spokes replaced under warranty. I broke three spokes on two different occasions on my 12 cobia and they ended up warranting my rear wheel and upgraded me to the rhythm comp wheel. I am also a big guy. Haven't had any issues with the new wheels

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    You would have to break multiple spokes to begin pursuing a warranty replacement. One broken spoke does not make a defective wheel, especially given the circumstances under which it broke.

Have the spoke fixed at the shop where you bought the bike. Make sure to keep a record of it. If you break more, have them fix the additional broken spokes as well. It's much easier for the shop to work with Trek to get a replacement wheel if they have a record of the issue. If you start fixing them on your own, the shop will have a harder time.

Get the spoke fixed and start saving for a stronger wheelset.

Quote Originally Posted by Byf619 View Post
    If your bike is still covered under warranty take it to your lbs to get the spokes replaced under warranty. I broke three spokes on two different occasions on my 12 cobia and they ended up warranting my rear wheel and upgraded me to the rhythm comp wheel. I am also a big guy. Haven't had any issues with the new wheels

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by dwnhlldav; 05-12-2013 at 06:07 PM.
    Disclaimer: I no longer fix bikes for a living.
    National Ski Patroller to feed my winter habit.

mtbr member
    if you're comfortable replacing the spoke, just get the right spoke and do it yourself. you will need to remove the cassette and maybe the rotor to do it. if you don't have a truing stand, it's a good investment, but you can also put a pair of zip ties on your seatstays and use them as guides to straightening your wheel.

if you start breaking a lot of spokes, look into a burlier wheel. you can't really get stronger spokes. you design a stronger wheel by putting more spokes in it or by putting a burlier rim on. double-butted spokes are probably stronger because they take impacts better, as I understand. look into getting a Stan's Arch EX or Flow wheel.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I also have had problems with the spokes on my 12' Cobia. The last one broke and got wedged in the brake caliper locking up the rear wheel while climbing a hill. What wheels do you recommend for a replacement? clearly stronger will most likely mean heavier.