mtbr member
    Nov 2012

Trek 29er Fit Issues

I'm just under 5'6" and recently rode a 15.5" X-Caliber. (I typically ride a small (15-16") mountain bike and currently ride a 15" Fantom 29er). The Trek felt immediately too small with the stock 75mm stem. I traded to a 100mm stem and the bike still felt small; primarily regarding the reach. That could have something to do with the G2 geo that brings your hands in a bit. I also had to flip the stem and slam it onto the headtube to get close the position I have on my Fantom. I liked the quick and stable handling of the bike, but I just couldn't get comfortable as I felt too cramped. Keep in mind however that I'm primarily a road rider and prefer more of a stretched out ride. Has anyone else had this issue with Trek's G2 geometry or am I just an oddball?

mtbr member
    I have found that I am comfortable one size up on a G2 29er.

Every other brand I typically ride a "M" (17"-ish) frame. When I go to a G2 bike I size up to a "L" (19") to feel comfortable.

If you're an oddball then I am one too.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I'm going to replace the stock 12mm offset seatpost with one that has 25mm of offset to see if that helps. I REALLY want to like this bike because it handles great.

going downhill silly fast
    Same here. I am same size and bought the 15.5.
    I assumed the cramped feeling would work itself out after a couple of rides.
    I certainly had great mobility but I noticed it was hard to hold a line.
    Moving the seat higher certainly helped but. Not enough.

I went back to my LBS and rode a 17.5 and then my 15.5 back and forth for about 20 minutes. It was clear I was more comfortable on the 17.5 and still felt well positioned over the bars for downhill and jumps.

Long story short (so to speak) my LBS was good enough to trade back and order a 17.5 Mamba. It will be here tomorrow

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Trek commonly uses bars with a generous sweep. Some bars have as much as 17 degrees of sweep. This will definitely shorten up the bikes cockpit. Check the bars sweep, swapping to a less agressive sweep will stretch you out a bit more.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pktrekguy View Post
    Trek commonly uses bars with a generous sweep. Some bars have as much as 17 degrees of sweep. This will definitely shorten up the bikes cockpit. Check the bars sweep, swapping to a less agressive sweep will stretch you out a bit more.
    winner, winner! The bars on my '11 X-Cal had a 12 degree backsweep. Try switching out the bars
    Misfit diSSent 1x10
    Jet 9 AL...under construction

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Using a 25mm offset seatpost helped....much better fit. However, compared to my Motobecane Fantom 29, the X-Caliber beat me up pretty bad (using the same tires and psi). Could be the shorter wheelbase? Anyone else find the Trek harsh?

going downhill silly fast
    Update: took the 17.5 out on the trails today and felt much better ride. Able to hold a line and found I did not over correct / under steer nearly as much. Definitely a slighter bigger bike and not nearly enough clearance on the top tube when standing but over all a really good fit, lots of fun and very confident ride.

It was very cool of my LBS to swap out a bike I had ridden on trails for 2 weeks.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I am 5'6" and I own a 2010 Gary Fisher Paragon (made by Trek). The frame fits me well. I actually run a short (60 mm) stem with some wide bars. Standover is good. The problem I have is with heel clearance. I have rubbed the paint off of both seat stays; when I am riding, I don't notice, but the heel of my shoes hit the seat stays while pedaling. I have ridden other 29'ers (Niner, Cannondale, Specialized, Scott) in a small size and not had that problem. The medium just felt too big for me (I demo'd a medium x-caliber on local trails). I guess the moral is try to demo a bike before you buy.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mark43 View Post
    I am 5'6" and I own a 2010 Gary Fisher Paragon (made by Trek). The frame fits me well. I actually run a short (60 mm) stem with some wide bars. Standover is good. The problem I have is with heel clearance. I have rubbed the paint off of both seat stays; when I am riding, I don't notice, but the heel of my shoes hit the seat stays while pedaling. I have ridden other 29'ers (Niner, Cannondale, Specialized, Scott) in a small size and not had that problem. The medium just felt too big for me (I demo'd a medium x-caliber on local trails). I guess the moral is try to demo a bike before you buy.
    Are you riding flat pedals or clip ins? If riding with cleats maybe you can adjust them so your heels don't hit the stays.
    Misfit diSSent 1x10
    Jet 9 AL...under construction