Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Mar 2013

Which TREK 29er to buy ?

Hi,
    I was just trying to figure out which TREK 29er to purchase-
    I am 6'3" 280Lbs and have not had a bike over $500. My budget would be around $1500+/- I will primarily ride some local trails but nothing too extreme YET and open road along PCH in Malibu, CA. Was looking at the '13 MAMBA series or X-Caliber, RIG....... is the '12 similar to the '13 for less $$$ ? I do want to get "some" quality components so thats why Mamba or above was in my sight.
    Even though I'm 280lbs now i will be slimming down to a goal of 220-230 so i want a bike that will withstand the weight now. This will be my first 29er and i have been looking for one in a long time, mostly online.
    I am thinking a 21" frame should do it but will go to the LBS to try some out and any of your input is appreciated in making my decision.

Thanx,
    MARTIN

mtbr member
    I work at a Trek dealer so I think I can help you. The bad thing about the trek 29er line up is that they don't have a bike in your price range, they have the Mamba below it at $1019.99 and the Superfly AL above it $1979.99. So basically you have two options you could save up for the Superfly or you could purchase the Mamba and upgrade some components. If you go with the Mamba option you should (just my recomendation) upgrade the wheelset with the $500 you have left over, this will feel like the best improvement for your ride and bike weight. Since you did say that you are a heavier guy I would recomend something like the Stans Flow EX wheelset or the Azonic Outlaws. I hope this helps with you purchase, with Trek's lifetime warrenty you can't really go wrong.

mtbr member
    Trek also has the Cobia for $1200. itís a great bike I recently purchased one and I do the same type of riding as you. Yes the mamba has the same frame but the components on the cobia are superior IMO. I would say talk to your dealer and test ride them. But I can tell you for me the Cobia was the right choice

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    When you say-Nothing in the price range......X-Cal $1699, RIG $1499, Cobia $1299 Stache 7 $1759........ but true, like you said components are key and could upgrade the MAMBA but then again maybe a X-Cal or Stache 7 would be a better option than..... ! I wouldnt go as high as $2K yet so probably nix the Superfly AL
    Thanx for your input crazybeach

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Personally I don't think any of those are a "bad" way to go. Like crazybeach said if you go with the Mamba you could use the extra $ for a few upgrades. If you could afford the extra $200 I think the X-Cal would be an awesome choice. The Reba fork alone would be worth the extra money. I know you mentioned the Rig, it is single speed, so if you simplicity that is the way to go. I love my SS but there isn't really any long climbs here in KC. The Cobia is probably your middle of the road bike. The frame is the same on all of them just different components. The store I work at has sold a couple of these bikes to former KC Chiefs players and they have stood up fine. Good luck in your search!

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by b52martin View Post
    When you say-Nothing in the price range......X-Cal $1699, RIG $1499, Cobia $1299 Stache 7 $1759........ but true, like you said components are key and could upgrade the MAMBA but then again maybe a X-Cal or Stache 7 would be a better option than..... ! I wouldnt go as high as $2K yet so probably nix the Superfly AL
    Thanx for your input crazybeach
    The Stache is going to have a little different feel than the others. Shorter rear chainstay, Longer fork travel. I haven't road that one much yet but like what I see. Like I said before, I don't think there is really a bad choice here just whichever one fits your needs at the time.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Just brought a Stache 7.

Frame looks amazing.Seems to Ride really well.

Its slacker than a X-cal,forks have 20mm more travel.142mm rear,Tapered semi integrated headset and Dropper post cable routing(std and stealth)
    Ordered mine and ordered TLR tyres and the tubeless valves and rim strips.

My 1st 29er and havent owned a Hardtail in 7 years.

I hate that name.
    crazybeach above doesn't know his products, but he's right about upgrading the wheelset. Stock wheels aren't designed for big boys. The closest is going to be the Dusters on the Stache. The choice will come down to components since with the exception of the Stache, all of the bikes you're looking at use the same frame. Actually, if your budget can deal with the Stache 7, I'd recommend that. The handling is a very nice relaxed trailbike feel, like a hardtail version of a Rumblefish. (I have both) Also, the tapered steerer and thru axle on the front is definitely a benefit for a larger rider, and none of Xcal frame bikes have those features.
    Worked at Trek/Fisher dealer 2008-2013. Only a little biased.

mtbr member
    I too vote Stash. I fidn it a lot more fun to ride than the normal "XC" geometry type 29ers.
    2013 Stumpy Evo
    2014 Fatboy

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    The 2012 X-Cal has the best fork-dual air Reba. It is very tuneable. The 2013 Reba in the X-Cal is a solo air.
    No thanks.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    FYI-The Stache has identical chain stay lengths as the Trek XC 29er line. Nearly all the geo is the same between frames. The exception being head angle.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    At 6' 8" tall and 260lb I have just bought a Trek Superfly Al 23".
    This is my first full suspension bike and it is vastly differant than the other bikes that I own. The stem at 100mm was a bit short and I now have a 120mm one to fit to it. The shop here in Wagga is doing a swap with the stem which is great. Still need to fit the tubless rim strips, new stem, and the computer which were thrown in with the deal(as were the shimano spd peddles).

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    So my LBS has a:
    `12 RIG (Gary Fisher) 21'' and 23'' frames $1299
    `12 X-Cal 23'' frame $1299
    eb1888 mentioned that 2012 Xcal has the best fork ? Is this better option than the `13 Stache 7 ?
    I am new to the technical terms so forgive me for not being informed

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    The Rig is single speed. Your weight may stress the seal system of many air forks. Enduro makes an upgrade kit for the Reba to better answer that stress from higher air pressures necessary to set sag.
    The Manitou Tower Pro is a good fork choice talked about by Clydesdale riders.
    Manitou Tower Pro Fork for Clydesdales - Techical
    More related info is in the Clydes section.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I went to a LBS today-it is a small shop that sells TREK, Specialized and others...... the owner spoke with me and suggested a Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 29er $700 as a starting point....... he did mention that Specialized frames are stronger and components on their bikes compared to TREK are better for the $$$ ! Hardrock is a big seller as he mentioned with Shimano derailleurs, Hydraulic brakes for under $700. So now i am more confused but will make a decision within the next few days.....going back Tuesday to try a 21'' Hardrock they will have it built so i can try it. I am checking out Specialized website right now and see if there is anything else i might like....... Oh and LIFETIME TUNE UPS are included with every purchased bike.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    If you want to ride mainly smooth stuff and not really venture into MTB, then the cheaper bike will be a great way to get into riding. As you get into riding over obstacles the parts/suspension will be quite stressed due to your height and weight. The cheaper parts won't survive long with continued abuse, and most often rebuild kits for cheap forks don't exist.
    If you plan on tackling trails then spend a bit more so that the bike becomes upgrade-worthy.
    Rimmer - "There's an old human saying - if you talk garbage, expect pain"

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Thanx AlexRandall for the reply, trails are definitely going to be in my riding
    Now that i looked at the Specialized website i might go with a Rockhopper Comp 29 or Rockhopper Pro 29 which will put me at my $1500 range....... will start a new thread for Specialized and gather more info.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by b52martin View Post
    I went to a LBS today-it is a small shop that sells TREK, Specialized and others...... the owner spoke with me and suggested a Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 29er $700 as a starting point....... he did mention that Specialized frames are stronger and components on their bikes compared to TREK are better for the $$$ ! Hardrock is a big seller as he mentioned with Shimano derailleurs, Hydraulic brakes for under $700. So now i am more confused but will make a decision within the next few days.....going back Tuesday to try a 21'' Hardrock they will have it built so i can try it. I am checking out Specialized website right now and see if there is anything else i might like....... Oh and LIFETIME TUNE UPS are included with every purchased bike.
    While Specialized frames may be stronger than TREK frames, I would go with the bike that fits you/feels the best in your budget. You could get a bike that is a great deal or the "popular" choice, but you won't be thinking about saving a few hundred dollars when you're riding down a trail.

Also, are you anywhere near a Trek Bicycle Superstore? The one in my area has '12 X-Cals going for $1099 right now.

mtbr member
    I think the X-Cal is an awesome bike for the price. it is well worth the extra $$ over the Cobia for a nicer fork at least. I am not thrilled with Avid hydro brakes, so if they consistently suck, ask your LBS to get Avid to warranty them and get some Shimano brakes or Avid BB7s. The wheels on the X-cal are a lot nicer too.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    X-Cal 2013 has much better wheels,Can be very easily converted to tubeless.
    Sure the X-Cal is 10speed aswell.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by mack_turtle View Post
    I am not thrilled with Avid hydro brakes, so if they consistently suck, ask your LBS to get Avid to warranty them and get some Shimano brakes or Avid BB7s.
    Or ask if your LBS would swap them out for something else? Can't hurt to ask.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Stash or rumblefish

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    You won't regret going with the 13 MAMBA, very solid and comfortable ride..

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    If you go with the Trek, the G2 geometry may limit your upgrade options for the fork, so make sure the whatever Trek you buy has a fork that will work for you.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by beer_coffee_water View Post
    FYI-The Stache has identical chain stay lengths as the Trek XC 29er line. Nearly all the geo is the same between frames. The exception being head angle.
    THIS!

If you do a 120mm fork on the Marlin/Mamba/Cobia, etc frame, you end up with nearly identical BB, HTA, etc geo as the Stache.

Many people have changed to non G2 forks and been pleased with the result, I don't think Ive read one negative review. Don't be fooled into thinking a possible fork upgrade must be G2.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast