mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Travel Adjust Fork on a 4.5" Rear Suspension 29er??

I was told today that it isn't important to have a travel adjustable fork like a Talas F29 isn't that important. I am looking at getting a Niner Rip 9, and was thinking of either getting the Talas 32 or 34. Any advice?

mtbr member
    Correct. It is not important at all. I have a 140mm fork on mine and it climbs great. I really think that travel adjustable forks are better suited for bikes that are slack. The RIP9 is fairly steep depending upon the fork you use. I ride with the Marzocchi micro 44 Ti (the same one on chainlove for $350.00) and have nothing but praise about it.

mnt bike laws of physics
    Quote Originally Posted by BullSCit View Post
    I was told today that it isn't important to have a travel adjustable fork like a Talas F29 isn't that important. I am looking at getting a Niner Rip 9, and was thinking of either getting the Talas 32 or 34. Any advice?
    I think it matters a great deal depending on the bike's HA, the way you have the bike setup and whether or not you will be climbing steep sections of trail esp. with switchbacks.

If you are going with the 120, I would say no. With the 140, if you are climbing stuff in which the front end wonders it could be a bear if you couldn't drop the front end a little.

My friend has a Tallboy and he uses his 120mm TALAS, but he and I are racer types and we climb very steep stuff. Also, the Tallboy has 100mm of travel. Mine with the 120mm without travel adjust is not doable on switchbacks he can make.

Carbon & Ti rule
    On bikes like the Tallboy the travel adjust is almost a must if you were wanting to run a 120mm fork, the bike is not great on step switch backs.

Were as the Rip9 with a 140mm or the Jet9 RDO with 120mm for me have no trouble on the switch backs that my Tallboy could not get around with the 120mm fork

You can get the Niners almost to the stall point on the climb & then put the power on & get to the switch back but on my Tallboy if you tried that it would unweight the front wheel sag on the rear suspension & stop you dead in your tracks.

Just my 2c

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Here are detailed design analyses of the RDO, JET9, RIP9, and WFO.

Here is an analysis of the Tallboy done by the same designer using the same techniques.

It can be easily seen that there is nothing in these designs that supports the claims muzzanic likes to make regarding the inferiority of the Tallboy to his preferred brand. The Tallboy has consistently better anti-squat performance compared to Niner designs and shows nothing in either the leverage curve or force curve that suggests that it would wallow through its travel. Considering that no one else here makes these claims, much less makes them at every opportunity, it would be best to view muzzanic for the fanboy that he is. He has nothing objective to say.

Carbon & Ti rule
    Quote Originally Posted by craigsj View Post
    Here are detailed design analyses of the RDO, JET9, RIP9, and WFO.

Here is an analysis of the Tallboy done by the same designer using the same techniques.

It can be easily seen that there is nothing in these designs that supports the claims muzzanic likes to make regarding the inferiority of the Tallboy to his preferred brand. The Tallboy has consistently better anti-squat performance compared to Niner designs and shows nothing in either the leverage curve or force curve that suggests that it would wallow through its travel. Considering that no one else here makes these claims, much less makes them at every opportunity, it would be best to view muzzanic for the fanboy that he is. He has nothing objective to say.
    Oh I'm sorry that I hurt your feelings, Atleast I have owned & ridden the bikes I talk about.

If you spent as much time riding your bike as you do trying to to put people down maybe your info would be more helpful to people that ride bikes & not just for the people that buy them so they have got something to talk about.

There are plenty of people on this forum that have sold there Tallboys because they didn't like them, I am not the only one.

Besides just becase I didn't like riding my Tallboy doesn't mean that you can't enjoy looking at yours on the scales

If I recall right you had your rear shock Pushed to make it better because how it came wasn't good enough.

I don't care that you like your Tallboy & you shouldn't care that I didn't like mine, It would be as boring as hell if we all liked & rode the same bike.

As for you calling me a Niner FANBOY well go ahead I like there bikes & I have been looked after by them & I have talked people into buying them, but a true fanboy is someone that rides a bike that is not the best for what they ride but just likes the brand then that is not me.

The Niner Jet9 RDO is the best bike that I can get my hands on for the riding I like to do & that is why I have it & when there is something better that I can get my hands on The RDO will go & I will get the new bike & it will be based on how it rides not on what name is on it.

The RDO was never & is not my dream bike but it is the best alrounder bike that I have riddin so Thats why I'm keeping it for now.

That fact that you get so upset that I don't like the tallboy makes me very happy because it shows me that we see things different & IMO that is good, I think you get hung up in to much about what you read & what you think you can prove on paper, I only care how it rides with me on it..

Furthermore I don't care if people don't like the bikes I ride because that doesn't change anything for me, However reading the good & bad things about any bike helps people with what they want to choose so I post my opinion & mine alone.
    You should try it, Tell people what you have found out on the trail, Not on this web site or that web site or in this study or that study but how it felt.
    Last edited by muzzanic; 09-17-2011 at 09:54 PM.