mtbr member
    May 2018

Transporting large 29'er in the back of a SUV (CR-V)

I'm about to get my first FS mountain bike - a Stumpjumper 29 alloy 2019. While looking at the geo charts, I realized it's a full 20 cm longer than my road bike. I'm worried it won't fit laying flat (front wheel off) at the back of my 2016 CR-V.

How do you transport your big bike? Is this any cause for concern?

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Hitch mount. You can get a seasucker rack, or if you only carry 1 bike, something like a one up that can easily be stored in the back of your SUV when not in use.

mtbr member
    My XXL Hightower LT fits in my wife's Rogue with the front wheel off just fine. Just lay it on its side diagonally across the cargo area. That said, we use a hitch mounted rack whenever possible.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I still like fork mount roof rack, it's hard to change after so many years! If your crv has a factory roof rack, it might be easy/cheap to attach a fork mount to the existing rack, I've bolted those cheap Performance fork mounts on our Santa Fe, and on my old accord wagon. Thru-axle mounts are cheap on ebay, I use an adapter for the Maxle on my RS-1 to the quick release mount. Add $5 for stainless nuts/bolts from the hardware store.

- There are some awesome looking hitch mount racks out nowadays, make sure to lock it to you rig if you get one of those, I've read that those get stolen too.
    carry clippers! cut something off the trail every time you ride.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Lower dropper post, remove front wheel, put in car. It should fit fine.
    Jason
    Disclaimer: www.paramountsports.net

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by JAGI410 View Post
    Lower dropper post, remove front wheel, put in car. It should fit fine.
    This. I have a current model year Ford Focus hatch and all of my 29ers fit in the back. Longest of which has a wheelbase of over 1200mm. Obviously the rear seats need to be down. The CRV is a larger vehicle than the Focus so you should be fine. The handlebar should slide in the gap between the front and rear seats.
    I no longer like to party. But I like the idea of it.

mtbr member
    I could fit my Jones Plus in the back of a Civic. You should be fine.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I managed to fit a Longest and an Extra Longest Geometron in a Ford Focus (only needed to take the front wheels off the bikes) when I was living in Germany last year. You should be fine.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ToiletSiphon View Post
    I'm about to get my first FS mountain bike - a Stumpjumper 29 alloy 2019. While looking at the geo charts, I realized it's a full 20 cm longer than my road bike. I'm worried it won't fit laying flat (front wheel off) at the back of my 2016 CR-V.

How do you transport your big bike? Is this any cause for concern?

Guerrilla Gravity Smash [medium] with a ~48" wheelbase on a 2010/11 CRV. Yakima tray rack. Works fine. It does stick out one side of the car a little more than the other so I leave some extra room on that side when in tight spaces.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by morphosity View Post
    I managed to fit a Longest and an Extra Longest Geometron in a Ford Focus (only needed to take the front wheels off the bikes) when I was living in Germany last year. You should be fine.
    I fit a MOJO G16 Longer into my Subie Impreza wagon with the wheel off

mtbr member
    There's actually a forum called "Car and Bike Rack" with a; "Does your mtb fit/travel in your car?" Plus hundreds of related threads worth a look, some car model specific ones as well
    ROS9+ SS
    ROS9 SS
    GT Peace 9R SS

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I have a 2016 Honda HRV (Shorter than the CRV) and I put the left rear seat down flat and lean the bike against the other seat with the front wheel off for the MTB. For the road all I do is turn the bars sideways and keep the front wheel on. Works like a charm, your bike is inside the car out of the weather and is secure and safe.

mtbr member
    ask your lbs to see if you can put it in your CRV, to see how it fits

id get a hitch though. hitch racks are nice

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Invest in a hitch receiver/rack combo, or roof rails/mount combo. It's worth it. I have a vehicle similar to yours, a Mazda CX-5, and have rails with Rocky Mountain Brass Knuckles carrier. NOTE: Only do this if you are 6 ft + tall. I'm 6 ft on the nose and its a full stretch to hoist the bike up there and rotate the swing arm to lock it in place. Another inch higher and I'd be in trouble.