Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    19

    Transplant Fox F100X to Fox 32 F29?

    Hi.

    I want to build up a 29" hardtail for XC racing. Frame could be On-One Scandal or Niner EMD nine. I have not yet decided, but I want a lightweight alu hard tail.
    I have a 2005 26" Fox F100X Terralogic fork, and I wonder if it is possible to transplant the Terralogic cartridge to the Fox 32 F32 29"?

    LarsB

  2. #2
    And He was Not
    Reputation: Enoch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    1,591
    The legs are too long on the 29. There was someone who did, but he had to reduce the travel to 80mm to make it work. 100mm cartridge, Fork set to 80 mm travel.
    The Truth is out there. Here it isThe TRUTH

  3. #3
    IFSDlxSS IFTiFLWMtb GFAdv
    Reputation: Spidey-Lag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    241
    Quote Originally Posted by Enoch
    The legs are too long on the 29. There was someone who did, but he had to reduce the travel to 80mm to make it work. 100mm cartridge, Fork set to 80 mm travel.

    Yup. That would be me. I did a damper transplant on my F29 80mm using an '07 FX Terralogic damper.

    No I haven't tried it out yet because my frame hasn't arrived from the builder!!!! Any day now according to the dealer......

    The frame is spec'd for the Fox F29 80mm so I was able to fit an '07 FX damper in there. If you want to fit a terralogic damper into the 100mm F29 you would need to find a Float XTT damper or someone selling a Stratos ID cartridge.

    Here's the link:

    Damper Transplant on a Fox F29 Anyone?

    I'll post a review and pictures once I've built the bike and tried it out on the trail.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    19
    Thanks Spidey-Lag!
    Your info is just the same I got from the friendly and competent Norwegian Fox importer Cyklon.

    This is a big plus for Fox over Minute or Reba.


    LarsB

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    323
    I've thought about transplanting a fox talas damper into my manitou minute 120 fork. As long as the travel of the cartridge is >= the orig, the static length difference can be made up w/ a custom spacer. You "simply" need to make sure that the cartridge does not top out or bottom out when the fork reaches either travel limit.

    simplified example: if a 140mm travel talas damper cartridge is 300mm extended (I made up this number - I have NOT measured one) then it would be 300mm-140mm=160mm compressed. If the fork you're trying to put it in requires a 320mm extended length then you need to come up w/ a minimum 20mm extender (threads onto bottom of cartridge, then that extends though the bottom of the fork). The compressed length would then be 160mm+20mm = 180mm. If the orig fork was a 120mm travel, then the cartridge would only reach 320-120 = 200mm. Since the fork bottoms out before the cartridge does, all is good. You of course want to make sure the travel limits are controlled in the 'spring' leg too

    SMD

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ccornacc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    284
    Hey Spidey Lag or SMD,

    Interesting post! I have a F29 120 and was wondering if it were possible to transplant a TALAS RLC 100-140 cartridge into it. My thoughts were if to try and get a 3 position with 80-100-120 out of it. If not all three, is there a way to just get 100-120 adjustment.

    Let me know your thoughts and potential ideas on how to do this.

    Chris

  7. #7
    IFSDlxSS IFTiFLWMtb GFAdv
    Reputation: Spidey-Lag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    241
    Quote Originally Posted by ccornacc
    Hey Spidey Lag or SMD,

    Interesting post! I have a F29 120 and was wondering if it were possible to transplant a TALAS RLC 100-140 cartridge into it. My thoughts were if to try and get a 3 position with 80-100-120 out of it. If not all three, is there a way to just get 100-120 adjustment.

    Let me know your thoughts and potential ideas on how to do this.

    Chris
    Hi Chris,

    Unfortunately what you are trying to accomplish is not possible. Correct me if I'm wrong but if I understand correctly, you would like to turn your F29 120 into an adjustable travel F29?

    This would not be possible as far as being able to adjust the travel on the fly because all travel adiustability is on the left leg of the fork while the damping characteristics are controlled from the right leg. It is possible to transplant the cartridge from the right legs of fox forks but it is not possible to transfer the internals of the left leg.

    There is, however a way you can reduce the travel of your F29 120 by way of spacers. A reputable LBS who services fox shox products near you should be able to fit a spacer into the left leg of your fork to suit your liking.

    Good luck on your project. I hope this helps shed some light on what you're trying to do

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ccornacc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    284
    Thanks Spidey!

    Can you help me understand why the left leg internals could not be switched? It the Talas cartridge were the same length as the current air cartridge, why couldn't you just switch it out?

    I have never taken on apart, so i was wondering, knowing you have the experience.

    Chris

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    98
    Quote Originally Posted by ccornacc
    Thanks Spidey!

    Can you help me understand why the left leg internals could not be switched? It the Talas cartridge were the same length as the current air cartridge, why couldn't you just switch it out?

    I have never taken on apart, so i was wondering, knowing you have the experience.

    Chris
    Fox told me the threads are different so I never looked into it any further.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ia_ss157's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    594
    Spidey-Lag, Did you have to change oil level heights a little to compensate for the difference in damper lengths? I am very interested in this considering my new possible ride for '09. My new ride will already have the RLC damper in it which could be tuned to feel pretty similar, but definitely without being gone through by someone like PUSH, it just won't have that same feel stock. I've ridden a customers talas xtt that got push'd and it felt amazing. I'm not exactly sure what all he had done, but i do know they upgraded his right side damper unit per PUSH's recommedation. The travel will be set at 80mm which is what comes stock. Any further insight would be great seeing as you've already worked out the mad scientist specifics. Also I noticed in the other thread something mentioning difference in thread pitch on the top cap of the damper. I don't have my Fox tech cd to reference and check, even if it would have those specs listed or not. Did you notice anything odd when installing the damper? It sounds like some work to do, but notice that the damper unit is one piece which is suprising considering all the other manufacturers use seperate rebound/compression damping assemblies in their forks.


    Sorry for all the questions and thanks for all the answers. I'll have to contact Fox tomorrow and see if they have any of those Terralogic dampers laying around...

  11. #11
    Mtc
    Mtc is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Mtc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    497
    Man I have access to XXT fork and would love to do this conversion, keep us posted.

  12. #12
    IFSDlxSS IFTiFLWMtb GFAdv
    Reputation: Spidey-Lag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    241
    Quote Originally Posted by ia_ss157
    Spidey-Lag, Did you have to change oil level heights a little to compensate for the difference in damper lengths? I am very interested in this considering my new possible ride for '09. My new ride will already have the RLC damper in it which could be tuned to feel pretty similar, but definitely without being gone through by someone like PUSH, it just won't have that same feel stock. I've ridden a customers talas xtt that got push'd and it felt amazing. I'm not exactly sure what all he had done, but i do know they upgraded his right side damper unit per PUSH's recommedation. The travel will be set at 80mm which is what comes stock. Any further insight would be great seeing as you've already worked out the mad scientist specifics. Also I noticed in the other thread something mentioning difference in thread pitch on the top cap of the damper. I don't have my Fox tech cd to reference and check, even if it would have those specs listed or not. Did you notice anything odd when installing the damper? It sounds like some work to do, but notice that the damper unit is one piece which is suprising considering all the other manufacturers use seperate rebound/compression damping assemblies in their forks.


    Sorry for all the questions and thanks for all the answers. I'll have to contact Fox tomorrow and see if they have any of those Terralogic dampers laying around...
    I didn't change the oil amount because of damper length. In fact I added about 5ml of oil because the terralogic damper stores a little more oil inside the damper than the regular RLC damper. Although the exterior of the terralogic damper itself displaces a little more oil than the RLC damper, once you cycle the damper a few times, you will notice the oil level to be a little low, so I added about 5ml to increase the oil level a little.

    I'm not very familiar with the left side internals of Fox forks but I do know the left side on a Float RLC, RL, or R is very different from any of the Talas left side internals. I heard thread pitch difference on one board and I heard different size internals completely on a another. I haven't had a chance to take apart a talas left leg yet so I can't give my two cents. I do know one portion of the talas side does have preloaded section which requires special tools to access so I don't even want to mess with it.

    As far as the design of the damper, I think Fox has it right keeping the compression and rebound in one solid unit and no I didn't notice anything odd at all during installation. It was really very straight forward. Remove one and replace with the other.

    BTW, If you want to use an F29 in 100mm setting, replace the stock damper with an XTT damper from an 06 or 07 fork and have it Pushed after the transplant. You will just need to notify the guys at PUSH that the fork is an F29 with a Trail Tune Terralogic damper.

    Good luck with your transplant!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •