Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Feb 2005

Transam 29 or Yelli Screamy

Both look awesome. Sorta of leaning towards the Transam 29 because I can get the nice build kit with it and the Yelli Screamy comes just as a frame.

Anyone have some time riding technical trails on the Transam 29?

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I don't think you can go wrong with either. Also check out the Banshee Paradox if you're looking for a full build kit.

Missouri sucks...
    Jun 2009
    Kona Honzo should be on your radar as well...

mtbr member
    16.7 vs 17.1" chainstays. Clearly the Yelli comes out ahead. They were definitely a trend setter in the All-Mountain category. I would go that route. Or a Honzo.

mtbr member
    Yelli Screamy.

The new black chrome is pure f*ck sex.
    Building a bike is really easy. If you can follow directions and watch a few how-to videos online you will have no problem building a bike.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    CARVER 420

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Yelli Screamy!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Transam 29 or Yelli Screamy-_20c5708-edit.jpg  

Transam 29 or Yelli Screamy-_20c5712-edit.jpg  

Transam 29 or Yelli Screamy-_20c5711-edit.jpg  

Transam 29 or Yelli Screamy-_20c5713-edit.jpg  

Transam 29 or Yelli Screamy-yelliair.jpg  

2014 Santa Cruz Tallboy LTc
    iDream Images

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JoshM View Post
    Yelli Screamy.

The new black chrome is pure f*ck sex.

Building a bike is really easy. If you can follow directions and watch a few how-to videos online you will have no problem building a bike.
    Sure is. But I think I would prefer durability of an anodized frame over the standard clearcoat.

And one of these days, I'll have to owe it to myself to try one of these Yellis after all.

mtbr member
    I don't have any experience with Transition, but I am a huge fan of Canfield. Not only do the guys put out a great product, they're customer service is second to none.
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

mtbr member
    Canfield Brothers for sure. But the real question is Yelli Screamy or Nimble 9?

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by gulljammer View Post
    Canfield Brothers for sure. But the real question is Yelli Screamy or Nimble 9?
    True. I looked at the Nimble 9 as well and do like the ride of steel. However the Yelli looks to be a bit more playful of a bike with the sloping top tube and seat tube at 20".

I've also built several bikes so thats not really the issue. It just seems that you get a little better value buying the bike as a kit compared to buying individual parts. At the end of the day I'll take the better frame though.

FYI...I'm 6'2 long legs and arms so I'm looking at XL's. I like to run short stem/wide bars too.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Seriously. Paradox. Almost identical geometry, built at the same facility, same company profile. This is coming from a Yelli owner, too. I love my Yelli but if you're looking for one as a full build get a quote on the Pdox.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Also depends on how long you like your bikes as the Transitions are short in the top tube.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Thanks for bringing that up about the transition as I do tend to like the TT to be longer running a short stem/wide bars.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Either one should be great but consider that the Transition steel frame should give you a smoother ride and the 142x12 rear end of the TA will stiffen things up with the big wheels.

mtbr member
    I like the Honzo for what you want. It has the shortest chainstays of the group at 16.5 and it looks like the longest TT as well. It retains good rear tire clearance as you can fit an Ardent 2.4 without issue. It has a 142x12mm rear, steel frame and the build kit is decent for the price. The frame seems to be about the same price or less than the other frames mentioned. I think you can get their frames in "long" or "regular" as well which might be enticing.

Might head over to this thread, the OP is 6'6" and seems to like some of the same characteristics as you do it a bike....
    My Kona Honzo, let me show you it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Look into the new diamondback mason

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    So I checked out the Honzo and I didn't like the standover. However, they LBS was having a closeout sale on them which made it extremely tempting.I'm pretty sure I would be an XL in that bike with a 50mm stem. The large felt a little cramped. The paradox actually comes in a little higher price wise than the Transam 29 and with a Manitou fork which I do not like.

I'm still looking the Yelli Screamy as the Geo of that frame looks fantastic on paper and would bring some of traits I like about 26" but with the bigger wheels.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    I posted a fairly lengthy two-ride review of my new YS here recently. I used a bolt-on 135mm Hadley hub in the rear and it's very, very stiff (I'm roughly 205 in gear). The YS does ride very much like a big-wheeled 26er.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    +1 for the Yelli, I've had mine for about 6-8 months. It has been excellent on all types of terrain.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Oh it it may work double duty as a commuter. Half road half trail on the way to my office.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DECIM8 View Post

Might head over to this thread, the OP is 6'6" and seems to like some of the same characteristics as you do it a bike....
    My Kona Honzo, let me show you it.
    I'm 6'4" btw.

And yes, Transition runs super short ETT. I have a TransAM 26er before and it was cramped.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    I'm having trouble figuring out the sizing on Transam29. On paper the geo seems slack enough and you get a good build kit with a steel frame which is nice. However the Toptube is 24.88 so I would be on an XL as I'm just a hair over 6'2 with longer legs and arms. Unfortnately no LBS's in the area have a Transam 29 to check out.

The Yelli top tube looks to be 25.2 which would work. Does the XL in the tend to run long as compared the the transitions which a few others have mentioned run small?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by eurospek View Post
    I'm 6'4" btw.
    I swear I saw you were 6'6". The least you could have done was grow to prove me correct.

Looks like the closest dealer to you is in San Antonio (info below). I assume you have hit them up? Might ask if you do order it what the restocking fee is if you don't like it. A couple hundred $ might be worth making sure it is the correct couple thousand $ purchase. Check out the policies at the few online stores that sell Transition as well.

Drop Zone Cycling
    11950 starcrest dr #208
    San Antonio, TX 78247 USA
    Phone: 210-403-2609
    Email: dropzonecycling@sbcglobal.net

Other than that you could take a road trip to their demo center in New Mexico or one of the others in Utah, Colorado or California. Might make for an epic vacation. You could call around to dealers in the surrounding states and see if anyone has an XL you could demo. Just thinking outside the box here.

eci
    I choose a transam 29. here are the info i took in to account.

Yelli nimble and honzo a FD is not an option if you want to run a real rear tire
    Honzo, nimble and trans am are all steel
    Steel is real
    Trans am has 142x12 drop outs
    All have good companies backing them
    Canfield returned my email question the fastest
    Kona and transition have local dealers. Canfield is direct
    Dealer build kit was a better deal then going canfield and buying parts random

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast