Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Trance X0 29 vs TallboyC 120mm

I know the Tx is new, so probably not that many owners on here, but thought I'd see, if I could get lucky.

I've been riding an Ax 26er with a 650b front, Talas fork set to 115mm. I'm 5'11, 210 lbs, and ride mostly rough trail, with tight turns and lots of log overs.... for some background.

I'm mostly interested in turning, flickable, fun-factor comparison. I think both suspensions are good enough for me, and HA, CS, and WB seem pretty comparable.

I've ridden the Tx2 (extensive parking lot testing, heh), and it was very agile. It seemed to manual, and bunny hop very well. Back end seemed pretty flickable. Cornering seemed a tad slow, for my likes, but I'd probably get used to it, it's not that slow. Weight would be decent at 28 lbs. for the XO. The problem, I don't fit it perfectly, decent but not perfect. (I've changed stems, sizes, seats, etc) I just keep wanting to slide a little bit farther back on the seat, on the M. The Large is just too large, and is out of the running.

I doubt I'll be able to find a TB 120 to test out. The shop doesn't stock them on the floor, and I've only ridden a buddy's TB LTc... which I think is somewhat overkill for around here. Do you think the LTc's ride characteristics can be directly compared to a TB with a 120mm fork? The sizing seems a perfect fit though, on his L.

Anyway, any thoughts would be appreciated... Thanks.
    Last edited by d365; 10-04-2012 at 06:44 AM.

mtbr member
    Awesome.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011

Trance vs Tallboy

I haven't tried the Trance but your last question was about the TB compared to the TBLTc. I have ridden a TBc for over 2 years and liked the bike very much. I am now riding a TBLTc and there are subtle diff. First the head angle is slacker on the LTc and the bike is slower steering , not sluggish just less quick than the TBc. Second the wheelbase is slightly longer which adds to the stability of the LTc. You can move around on the LTc like a moto bike and the bike ridden over rougher trails easier and can jump easier. The bike weights are almost identical . In faster corners they are similar but in slow slalom back to back turns and in hairpin turns the TBc is quicker. Weaving thru tight tree sections the TBc would be quicker. The acceleration of the TBc is just a tad quicker. In climbing up rock sections with short steeps and ledges I think the LTc is better mainly because you can attack the section faster with the 34/140 fork. The BB is higher on the LTc so it has fewer peddle strikes so again in very rocky trails the LTc is easier to ride. Where I ride the LTc is easier to ride especilly on the downhill sections, the climbs are almost a draw, with quick steering going to the TBc.

mtbr member
    Thanks fruitafrank. Did you have a 120mm fork on your TBc?

mtbr member
    Mar 2011

Trance vs Tallboyc

Yes my TBc had the Fox 32/120 fork which IMO is necessary for that bike. The steering is still plenty sharp and it helps a bit with the BB height. Frank

mtbr member
    Oct 2012

Tbc

I have a TBc and came off a giant trance advanced 26. I'm absolutely in love with my TB, it's more stable, faster, and wanders less than my old Trance on steep climbs. I've got a fox talas up front (120 -90mm) and will absolutely agree that a 120 is a must on the TB, however most come stock with them. I would say this bike descends better than my old Trance, handling through tight technical areas are a breeze and cornering is absolutely amazing. It's an extremely comfortable bike and acceleration has not been an issue at all. My first day on my tallboy i was hucking off stuff and jumping it with ease. The tallboy is very flickable. I test rode the Trance 29er and I did not get the wow factor that I got from the tallboy. I thought it felt a little to big and because I'm coming off carbon it's hard to go back to aluminum.

I'm 5'10" with a 32 inseam and chose a medium TB. I think it's a perfect fit, some may argue I could have gone large but I'm happy I went medium.

One last thing, I live in Utah with some pretty technical trails. Coming from a 5 inch to a 4 inch rear TB I could tell no difference as far as suspension goes. The TBc can handle a lot and unless you're doing some pretty rad stuff I think the TBlt is a little over kill.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Trance X0 29 vs TallboyC 120mm-image.jpg  

Carbon & Ti rule
    I would go with the Trance X29 out of thoses bikes.

I had a Tallboy Carbon for 3 months before I got rid of it, I got sick of the pedal strikes, pedal feed back, mid travel wallow & the Flex (note the trance X29 has a little more flex), It wasn't half the bike of the Rip9 I had before i got the Tallboy C

I'm now on a Jet9 RDO & it is everything & more than I hoped the Tallboy would be & just wasn't.

I have also ordered a Rip9 RDO that I'm looking forward to trying & for the type of ridding you are looking to do the Rip9 RDO might be a good fit for you when they come out in March.

The Niner pedals much better IMO than the VPP on the Tallboy carbon

My 2 c

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    The best question to ask on these forums is... Why should I buy the bike you're riding. Everyone's opinion Ieans towards the brand they ride..

The tallboy has received an amazing amount of positive reviews from many reliable sources all which indicate it competes as one of the best if not the best in its class, and for good reason it's a solid bike.

I've never ridden a jet 9 but I'm sure it's a great bike too, but to say there is flex, pedal strike, and feedback on a tallboy to convince someone to buy your bike is flat out silly.

Carbon & Ti rule
    Quote Originally Posted by Utah29er View Post
    The best question to ask on these forums is... Why should I buy the bike you're riding. Everyone's opinion Ieans towards the brand they ride..

The tallboy has received an amazing amount of positive reviews from many reliable sources all which indicate it competes as one of the best if not the best in its class, and for good reason it's a solid bike.

I've never ridden a jet 9 but I'm sure it's a great bike too, but to say there is flex, pedal strike, and feedback on a tallboy to convince someone to buy your bike is flat out silly.
    Well then look up all the people on this forum that have sold there Tallboys for those very reasons.

There are quite a few Tallboy owers that now ride Jet9 RDO's & like me think is is a big upgrade.

Besides I did own a Tallboy ( Brought it because of all the good reviews ) & would have stuck with it if it was a better bike but It just didn't stack up IMO

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Call bikers edge in Kaysville Utah.. Giant dealer and Santa Cruz dealer. He gets his choice of bikes and rides a Tallboy. That should tell you something.

Carbon & Ti rule
    Call bikers edge in Kaysville Utah.. Giant dealer and Santa Cruz dealer. He gets his choice of bikes and rides a Tallboy. That should tell you something.
    No I have friends that own bike shops & they ride the bikes they can make the most money on & then tell customers, This is what I ride.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Hey Muzz, do you have a Trance X29er or have you ridden one or did you really not like the Tallboy?

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk 2

Carbon & Ti rule
    Quote Originally Posted by VERT1 View Post
    Hey Muzz, do you have a Trance X29er or have you ridden one or did you really not like the Tallboy?

I have ridden the Trance X29er but not owned one.

I really didn't like the Tallboy,

I had a Jet9 Alloy & a Rip9 Alloy at the same time & was often torn between what bike to take away.

I liked the Rip9 much more for fun than the Jet9, But the jet9 was lighter so would often take the Jet9 when I would be doing alot of climbing.

I read the reviews about the Tallboy & brought one, However coming form such a good bike anyway I just couldn't find the love

mtbr member
    I'd say go back and try the trance again with a seat post that has more offset. If you generally like the bike, give it every chance. There's nothing worse than dropping a bundle on a bike you haven't ridden because of some niggling fit problem with one you have ridden only to find it out you don't like the one you bought as much as the one you didn't buy.

Single Speed Junkie
    Reviews are just reviews. Someone may prefer one design over another which is fine.

Years ago I bought a Titus switchblade based off glowing reviews to replace a Ventana ElFuego. The Titus just never felt right to me even after going through changing out parts and adjusting the bikes fit. Ended up selling the frame and getting another Ventana which I rode for a number of years prior to trying 29ers. Now the 26" Ventana feels small and looking for a 29er FS replacement.

I've ridden the Tallboy TBc and LTc and both seem like good bikes. With new 29er FS bikes on the horizon I'm not in any hurry to drop coin on a replacement bike till I've ridden a few different bikes. Currently waiting for the shop to get the new Giant Trance in as well seeing how it handles. If you find a bike that fits you and your riding style then that is the bike I'd go with.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    You need to try to demo the bikes for yourself.

Unlike muzzanic I'm not going to tell you one is better than the other, but hey I don't have all those green dots

There are plenty of people that love Specialized FSR, I was unimpressed. Does that make it a bad bike- no, just not for me.

I don't find that I agree with anything muzzanic says about the Tallboy, but hey thats why there are so many to choose from.

Only you can decide which is best for you.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

mtbr member
    Mar 2011

Trance vs Tallboyc

I agree with TwoTone that you should try the bikes before deciding. I have many friends who have switched from other bikes to a TBc and are very happy they changed. Some of the riders are on the heavy side and don't notice any unusual flex. I have one TB riding friend who does. The newer model has a stiffer rear triangle. In any case I switched from a Pivot 429 to a TBc because for me the handling was much better, but I don't try to convince riders that a Pivot isn't good.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Muzz...this is not is response to YOU not liking the Tallboy because no bike is going to be a perfect fit for everybody but your comments about "all the people" that have moved away from the Tallboy is misleading at the minimum. I ride in mostly in SoCal but have also hit Park City, Sedona, Gooseberry and Fruita this past year and there are Tallboy carbons everywhere...they appear to outnumber the Niner competition 10-1 from what I can tell.

As Utah29er said, this may be the most highly reviewed bike ever and without a doubt on this website, I've read where more people have said "the best bike I've ever had" more than any other bike by far. Now the LT comes out and I've seen at least 5-7 in the last week (2) weeks at our local trails. That's saying alot for a $5000+ bike. I can't imagine how many I'll see at the Hurricane Fat Tire Festival this week.

...and I'm not a Niner hater, the Air9 is my back-up/spare/loaner bike though I admit I never personally ride it unless teh Tallboy is unavailable. I'm going to demo the Tallboy LT carbon at Hurricane. That may be my next bike if it climbs anywhere close to the regulat TB.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Muzz is allowed his own opinion just like anyone here, dont hate the guy just because he doesnt like Tallboy's. Everyone does rave about them but not all bikes are perfect for everyone. i just asked him for his opinion on the bike which is what he gave

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by VERT1 View Post
    Muzz is allowed his own opinion just like anyone here, dont hate the guy just because he doesnt like Tallboy's. Everyone does rave about them but not all bikes are perfect for everyone. i just asked him for his opinion on the bike which is what he gave

Vert, the issue is Muzz is being a brand whore. He's cheering for a team and not giving accurate info.. I've owned a Giant trance, giant trance advanced, yeti ast5c, yeti sb66c, Santa Cruz Blur carbon, and now a Tallboy carbon. All of those bikes are amazing and I can honestly say the tallboy is hands down the best bike of the bunch.

Mtbr, mountain bike action, bicycle magazine, mountain flyer, competitive cyclist, pink bike, all reviewed the tallboy as saying it was the best bike they have ridden. The list above is just a hand full of reviews. Many others rave about this bike..

Finally, After watching Muzz's videos it's clear the guy should not be reviewing bikes. The trails and his skills are pretty weak. He obviously is talking out of his ass. I'm not going to rip on the niner, I'm sure it's a bad ass bike but like I said Muzz is spouting off jibberish to over hype the niner.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Also, if you're referring to my response, I specifically pointed out that I was not commenting on HIM personally but on some of the stuff he posts. I don't care if he likes the Tallboy. I know tons of people love Yeti's but their geometry just doesn't feel right for my riding style.

Back to the Rip9 specifically though. If that's what you're after, feel free to check on Pinkbike where there is a plethora of Rip9's and other Niners for sale in the "29er frames for sale" section. I wonder why that is? In the 1st 5 pages of that section, there is a total of (1) Tallboy frame for sale and it already sold. Imagine that...

mtbr member
    I didn't mean for this to turn into a "thing". I think both bikes are probably very capable, and would be proud to own either. The shop I use only carries SC, Giant, and Felt.

I mostly wanted a comparisons on flickableness, turning, and manual/bunnyhop. Coming from a 26er, these traits are what's important to me... the fun-factor. It's why I don't care for the Anthem 29. I thought the M TX 29 felt pretty flickable, and easy to manual, but the fit just isn't quite perfect. I went and rode the M (100mm stem) and L (70 mm stem this time) again this weekend... still not a perfect fit. I am dead in between sizes.

One good thing, he said he's ordered a L TBau with a 100mm fork for a customer, and in a couple of weeks, I'll get to at least check the fit of a L.

Thanks for the responses. I wish I could do a real demo of the M TxO and a L TBc 120.

ready to ride
    Quote Originally Posted by d365 View Post
    I mostly wanted a comparisons on flickableness, turning, and manual/bunnyhop. Coming from a 26er, these traits are what's important to me... the fun-factor. It's why I don't care for the Anthem 29. I thought the M TX 29 felt pretty flickable, and easy to manual, but the fit just isn't quite perfect. I went and rode the M (100mm stem) and L (70 mm stem this time) again this weekend... still not a perfect fit. I am dead in between sizes.

One good thing, he said he's ordered a L TBau with a 100mm fork for a customer, and in a couple of weeks, I'll get to at least check the fit of a L.

Thanks for the responses. I wish I could do a real demo of the M TxO and a L TBc 120.
    It might just be my skills level but I find manuals very difficult on my TB, then again I think I would have a hard time on any 29er. I think generally speaking you are going to loose some of all of those traits going to a 29er.

Turning, not as nimble as a 26 but I feel the TB is very responsive, more so on my previous 29er which was a Gary Fishers based on the G2 geometry which is supposedly very responsive. There are a few trails in my area that have some rocky hairpin switchbacks. I have some issues with cornering on those and sometime think a 26" would be better. All in all a non issue for me and it is more often my skill rather than the bike.

I will say I am very comfortable catching air on the TB. I'm not doing anything massive but I have a lot more confidence riding this bike than I have in others. So that goes a long ways in a lot of my riding situations.

I really don't know why SC is selling the TB with a 100mm fork. Sure it rides just fine, once I converted my fork to 120mm the bike really came alive. If you end up going with the TB definitely go with the 120mm fork. Fewer pedal strikes, and to me it was like putting the bike in attack mode.

I will say I had some issues with pedal strikes when I first got the bike. This was my first FS bike so I don't know how much of it was me or the bike. Once I converted the fork to 120 and got my rear shock adjusted I rarely get them now. Probably some of it is getting used to pedaling a FS bike too. When I do get one, its usually me just making a very bad pedal timing mistake. Its not like I am constantly having to think about my pedal stroke either.

In regards to size I'm 5'10" and was pretty much in between as well. I'm about the same height and build as the LBS owner so it was pretty easy for him to size the bike for me. he put me on a medium with a 110mm stem. That size felt perfect for me. Oddly though I was also looking at the Superlight 29er and the large felt better even though it has similar geometry. Even with the longer stem, I still think the bike is very responsive in turning.

All that said I love my TB for 90% of the riding I do. There are a few time though I wouldn't mind having a long travel FS AM bike, and if I were going to go that route it would more than likely be a 26er. Maybe something like the Heckler or Nomad.

I should be out riding
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by fruitafrank View Post
    I agree with TwoTone that you should try the bikes before deciding. I have many friends who have switched from other bikes to a TBc and are very happy they changed. Some of the riders are on the heavy side and don't notice any unusual flex. I have one TB riding friend who does. The newer model has a stiffer rear triangle. In any case I switched from a Pivot 429 to a TBc because for me the handling was much better, but I don't try to convince riders that a Pivot isn't good.
    I'm curious, what about the TBc handling do you find better than the 429? Both are my short list for next bike... Just rented a TBc, and really liked it. Didn't notice any flex, did notice suspension that was more slightly active than I'd consider ideal for climbing, and the bb was a touch low. Great handling in general though, I immediately felt comfortable.

Sorry for thread drift...

Carbon & Ti rule
    Just 2 days ago you were telling people that you yourself were an idiot, Now 2 days later you are an expert.

2 Days Ago

Utah29er

mtbr member

Rep:
    user gallery

I'm an idiot for waiting so long

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

First off, let me start out by saying that I've been riding for 10 yrs now and came from a motocross background. I was the die hard 26er that told any salesman to shut his mouth once a 29er was mentioned until a couple of weeks ago when a salesman convinced me to throw a leg over a tallboy and I've been in love ever since.

The lack of flick ability, hard to maneuver through tight turns, and hard to get going rumors that I heard where not noticeable at all and the benefits of the 29er far out weighed any slightly negatives. Again though, I could not point out any negatives and I've been riding tight switchbacks, steep technical long climbs and technical downhill. The bike was so damn fast, stable, and most importantly comfortable. Climbing from a cardio stand point does not seem easier nor harder but it does seem as though u make it to the top faster and once on level terrain i do not feel as worn out. the Tallboy rolls so fast and does not bog down as fast as a 26er. just seems to roll longer. I'm a believer now! I'm not sure if it was the Santa Cruz Tallboy or 29ers in general but I'm not going back to 26..
    Vert, the issue is Muzz is being a brand whore. He's cheering for a team and not giving accurate info.. I've owned a Giant trance, giant trance advanced, yeti ast5c, yeti sb66c, Santa Cruz Blur carbon, and now a Tallboy carbon. All of those bikes are amazing and I can honestly say the tallboy is hands down the best bike of the bunch.

Mtbr, mountain bike action, bicycle magazine, mountain flyer, competitive cyclist, pink bike, all reviewed the tallboy as saying it was the best bike they have ridden. The list above is just a hand full of reviews. Many others rave about this bike..

Finally, After watching Muzz's videos it's clear the guy should not be reviewing bikes. The trails and his skills are pretty weak. He obviously is talking out of his ass. I'm not going to rip on the niner, I'm sure it's a bad ass bike but like I said Muzz is spouting off jibberish to over hype the niner.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast