mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Trail/AM 29er with rack mounts

Hi guys,
    Looking to replace my frame (Gen1 Solaris) to more slack geo, 142 rear space and rack mounts (occasional commuting and bike packing duties). Preferably chromo but not a must.
    By now found only the Surly Karate Monkey.
    Any other ideas? Thanks!

WillWorkForTrail
    What kind of geo are you looking for? You're going to be hard pressed to find much long/low/slack stuff with rack mounts. I run a 120mm fork with lockout on my Soma Juice. That makes it more slack than my Giant Anthem 29er, but that's not saying much - I think I'm at 69 degrees. I'm also not certain the newest generation of juice has 142, but I think they have some dropout options, since it uses sliders.

This place needs an enema
    Quote Originally Posted by eyalien View Post
    Any other ideas? Thanks!

Use soft bags and then you can ride any frame you want.

mtbr member
    Salsa timberjack takes alternator plates with rack mounts and can be spaced at 142. Its an aluminum hardtail
    2008 BMC Fourstroke 19-559 ISO (RIP in peace)
    2017 BMC Speedfox 25-622 ISO
    2017 Salsa Timberjack 40-584 ISO

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Not looking for for radical geo, just more trail oriented. 142 is a must since I want to be able to swap wheels with my FS (Following) depending on the terrain and ride type

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Part of the intended use is carrying rack mounted child seat so it has to be proper rack with rack mounts..

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post
    Use soft bags and then you can ride any frame you want.
    Quote Originally Posted by the_joe View Post
    Salsa timberjack takes alternator plates with rack mounts and can be spaced at 142. Its an aluminum hardtail
    Will it take other racks as well? I already own some very good racks so prefer not to buy special rack per frame

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    The new Niner Sir9 has a ton of options for bolting on racks, but it's 148.
    Santa Cruz Tallboy 2
    Cannondale CAAD12
    Niner RLT9
    Salsa Fargo 29+
    Niner SIR9 27.5+
    Surly Krampus

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Thanks, but 142 is a must since I want to be able to swap wheels with my FS (Following) depending on the terrain and ride type

mtbr member
    Jul 2015

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by eyalien View Post
    Will it take other racks as well? I already own some very good racks so prefer not to buy special rack per frame
    I think it will take other racks. You would probably have to buy different alternator plates that have the rack mount threaded holes on them as i think the stock ones dont have the rack mounts
    2008 BMC Fourstroke 19-559 ISO (RIP in peace)
    2017 BMC Speedfox 25-622 ISO
    2017 Salsa Timberjack 40-584 ISO

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    One other option for your rack mount (let's say you find a bike you like with 142 spacing but no rack mounts) is to use the unique thru-axle by Roberts Axle Project. They are available in various widths and thread pitch.

I used one of these on a Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, and it worked well.

The threaded thru-axle has a hollow opening to accept a 9mm quick-release. So you still have a threaded thru axle, but your lower rack mount utilizes the quick release which runs thru the threaded axle.

I'm making it sound too complicated...lol

Then, your upper rack mount can be done utilizing P-Clamps to the seat stays, or a seat-post clamp that has threaded holes in the back of it for rack mounts. Salsa is one manufacturer of these; I think they have them available in two or three different seat-post sizes.
    2018 Specialized Diverge Expert

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by NDTransplant View Post
    One other option for your rack mount (let's say you find a bike you like with 142 spacing but no rack mounts) is to use the unique thru-axle by Roberts Axle Project. They are available in various widths and thread pitch.

I used one of these on a Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, and it worked well.

The threaded thru-axle has a hollow opening to accept a 9mm quick-release. So you still have a threaded thru axle, but your lower rack mount utilizes the quick release which runs thru the threaded axle.

I'm making it sound too complicated...lol

Then, your upper rack mount can be done utilizing P-Clamps to the seat stays, or a seat-post clamp that has threaded holes in the back of it for rack mounts. Salsa is one manufacturer of these; I think they have them available in two or three different seat-post sizes.
    Wow, do you mean I could attache the lower rack bolt using a QR that will pass through the hole in the 142 axle?! wouldn't the rack be too low over the wheel that way?
    I tried Tubus QR solution and it did not fit my rack (require lower rack attachment of 2 bolts). It was also a bitch to change a tire / swap wheels with it.
    Can you send a link?
    By the way the upper attachment is no brainer as you metioned

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Yep, that's correct.

Whether your rack would be too low would depend on the height of your rack 'struts', or legs... But you could hold your current rack over your bike to see how this might look.

OldManMountain racks also has Roberts Axle stuff available. But you do not necessarily need to use an OMM rack.

I'll see if I have a photo or two.

https://robertaxleproject.com

mtbr member
    Feb 2012

OK so in this photo, this is an axle for an older Stumpjumper FSR, which at that time had a 12x142 axle.

Here you see the custom axle has a slotted head...the lever from the quick release fits in that slot, and that is your 'lever' to tighten the thru-axle in the bike.

And here it is put together- well, minus the bike and an actual rack- lol.
    Your wheel is still held in by a threaded thru axle, which is hollow, to accommodate a QR skewer, which holds your lower rack mount.

I used this to carry two panniers on my Stumpjumper, which I suppose was almost sacrilege, haha, but it worked extremely well.

I used a Roberts Axle in a 15mm configuration when I mounted an OMM rack on a Fox suspension fork on my El Mariachi for a trip.

It's important to observe the thru axle you have...what I mean is, the axle for the Stumpjumper has a beveled head to it, but on some bikes, (or on my Fox fork, for example) the axle has a flat/non-beveled head...but I'm sure Roberts can get the right one, regardless of length, thread-pitch, or non-drive side style of axle.

Now....I have an unused Topeak Explorer Disc laying around, and I dare say the underside of the rack would almost be rubbing on the rear tire utilizing an axle-mount arrangement such as this...so the overall height of your rack would be important. But you've already mentioned that concern, so I'll stop jabbering!!!!

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    The new red Surly Krampus? Run it with 29 or 29+. Many braze ons and comes with a matching fork.

mtbr member
    P-clamps. Everywhere.
    Thorn in your Sidewall
    Vassago Jabberwocky