Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Toughest tire ?

mtbr member
    Aug 2005

Toughest tire ?

What's the best choice for avoiding flats in rocky terrain. Weight is not an issue.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    ExiWolf's are worth considering for rocky riding.

The steel beaded variety are fairly cheap and weigh, 800 grams?

Poorly Disguised Poser

agree

Quote Originally Posted by Chaffer
    ExiWolf's are worth considering for rocky riding.

The steel beaded variety are fairly cheap and weigh, 800 grams?
    Yes these tires are quite tough. I think the 800 gram estimate might be a bit low, but I dont really care about weight when it comes to tires....fixing a flat on a very light tire is NOT faster than riding a very heavy tire when you are out on fun rides.

I ran over a locust thorn the other day and I swear it went through (had to stop and pull it out)....never did flat...I am sold on these tires...they do hold a lot of mud and get even heavier, but I will put up with that considering the toughness of these things. I feel like I am driving a monster truck with these babies.

as you can tell, I am not one to change tires a lot...I like to find a nearly bullet proof tire that works in many/most conditions well and ride them hard/to death.

If you are a weight weenie, or frequently ride mud, Exi's are probalby not going to be your favorite.

ken
    My ego is bigger and better looking than yours.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    ...and use thick tubes.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    ...and use thick tubes.
    Thanks. I was hoping you would chime in. Who makes the thickest tubes ?

And He was Not
    Just curious if anyone out there has really checked to see who has the thickest sidewalls. I did some measuring with a Mic. and found some interesting stuff. So far the Bonti's are definately the thinnest, but after measuring the Exi's,Specialized,Irc Mythos, Kenda Klaws,and Maxxis Ignitors, I'm finding the IRC to have some of the thickest sidewalls.

You need to measure in several spots around the circumferance of the tire sidewall because it does seem to vary a little, and try to stay in the center of the sidewall. The Exi sidewalls did not prove to be any thicker on average than the Ignitors. The actual tread area seems thicker on the Exi's, but I need to find a different mic. to measure this to be sure.
    The Truth is out there. Here it isThe TRUTH

Nat
    Solo contendre
    Quote Originally Posted by Enoch
    Just curious if anyone out there has really checked to see who has the thickest sidewalls. I did some measuring with a Mic. and found some interesting stuff. So far the Bonti's are definately the thinnest, but after measuring the Exi's,Specialized,Irc Mythos, Kenda Klaws,and Maxxis Ignitors, I'm finding the IRC to have some of the thickest sidewalls.

You need to measure in several spots around the circumferance of the tire sidewall because it does seem to vary a little, and try to stay in the center of the sidewall. The Exi sidewalls did not prove to be any thicker on average than the Ignitors. The actual tread area seems thicker on the Exi's, but I need to find a different mic. to measure this to be sure.
    I think I'd just add 10psi to my tire of choice and call it good.

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch

The Exi sidewall is not all that thick. Pretty close to the Maxxis and Bonty tires.

But it is better protected. Both the tread base rubber (slightly) and the edge tread knobs extend further down the sidewall.

(click for larger pics)
    Bontrager Jones XR front 2.25

You can see the tread base rubber does not quite reach the widest point of the casing. The edge blocks extend only part way down and there are large gaps.

Maxxis Ignitor 2.10

Note the base rubber. Side blocks offer little casing protection.

ExiWolf 2.3

The base rubber and tread extends to the widest point of the casing where it can deflect rocks and better protect against cuts. Much of the addition weight of the Exi is because of this "extra" rubber.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    mtbtires.com

Quote Originally Posted by 1-track-mind
    Thanks. I was hoping you would chime in. Who makes the thickest tubes ?
    You can use a 26x2.1/2.5 standard or "thick" tube.
    Avoid Chinese made tubes, they tend to tear easily at puncture sites
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    I just went by a bike shop here and saw some Bontrager self sealing 29" tubes. So these tubes would be best for a thorny ride. I am sure they are heavier than your average tube, but it beats trying to squirt some sealant into a Presta valve.

Poorly Disguised Poser

I tried those once

Quote Originally Posted by Quasi
    I just went by a bike shop here and saw some Bontrager self sealing 29" tubes. So these tubes would be best for a thorny ride. I am sure they are heavier than your average tube, but it beats trying to squirt some sealant into a Presta valve.
    not in a 29er, but just the same....My results were, shall we say, very poor. They did not seal at all (pin sized thorn), made a mess in my tire, goves, pack, etc. and cost more.

This was a year ago...I hope this product has improved, or at very least others have better results than I did.

Oddly enough, I am a fan of sealant in tubless tires (i.e. Stans-type system)...that does seem to work for me. Go figure

Ken
    My ego is bigger and better looking than yours.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by unit
    not in a 29er, but just the same....My results were, shall we say, very poor. They did not seal at all (pin sized thorn), made a mess in my tire, goves, pack, etc. and cost more.

This was a year ago...I hope this product has improved, or at very least others have better results than I did.

Oddly enough, I am a fan of sealant in tubless tires (i.e. Stans-type system)...that does seem to work for me. Go figure

Ken
    Any system utilizing sealant will make a mess if it fails. If the Bontrager sealant tubes don't work, they will make a mess. But if Stan's doesn't work, it will make a mess too. I can see faulting a sealant system for not working, but IMHO, the resulting mess just comes with the territory.

Reviewer/Tester

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by 1-track-mind
    What's the best choice for avoiding flats in rocky terrain. Weight is not an issue.
    Exi's are tough. Mine take heaps of hits from rocks, and I have not had any failures from an Exi yet.

I use heavy Hutchinson 26" green tubes. This setup is very strong. if you want to make it even better, squirt some stans into the tube.

Just be careful of shiggy's cat.

R.
    It is inevitable ...

Cold. Blue. Steel.
    I currently count on an Exi up front and it has not dissapointed in any way, shape or form. The one downside would be the heavier weight comparable to other tires available in the 29er market right now. That said, I love the performance and I really trust this tire, therefore I feel it's been worth the weight so far...
    I just raced for over 10 hours and around 75 miles (about 10,000 feet of climbing) in Pisgah Nat'l Forest yesterday and had zero issues. Ran the Exi up front with a super-light Salsa 26" (1.9 x 2.2) tube. 22 psi and man did that tire handle everything thrown it's way. My rigid bike didn't feel so rigid. Nano in the rear, about 29 psi with the same 26" tube.
    I think the extra weight was worth the comfort and handling it gave me in return. And it barely looks any worse for the wear.

OGG
    Spinning and Grinning...

And He was Not

Good job!

Nice Pics Shiggy. They really show the tread caps and how far they wrap around the tire.
    The Truth is out there. Here it isThe TRUTH

Oh my aching Exi!

I love my Exi's but sadly this can still happen.

I only had this brand new kevlar bead Exi for maybe 3 or 4 rides when disaster struck last weekend. I suspect a sharp rock. The tire went down instantly. I backtracked looking for the evil culprit thinking it had to be glass, metal, scalpel, something man made! But only found sharp rocks. That's a Clif bar wrapper holding the tube in.

I'm replacing the wounded Exi with an Exi. I rode an Exi rear the entire season last year without a single flat or problem. In fact it's still on my old wheelset, a little balder than it used to be but it's old!

Ed E
    Attached Images Attached Images

College
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by edemtbs
    That's a Clif bar wrapper holding the tube in.
    Ed E
    I shall remember this trick the next time i tear a whole through the tire. Good stuff
    College boy

mtbr member
    Just got back from 7 days of riding in CO/UT. I took my Ignitor/Fastrack combo off and replaced with a pair of Exis (steel bead) for the trip.

They did a fantastic job in the dry and rocky. More traction than my skills and fitness could employ. One puncture flat that would have killed any tube. No snakebites even though I ran 30psi or so at 260# over uber rocky ledgy shite.

To me, Exis suck here in the Upper Midwest but shine in other regions.
    Professional Amateur. Disagree? Submit your grievances here.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by edemtbs
    I love my Exi's but sadly this can still happen.

I only had this brand new kevlar bead Exi for maybe 3 or 4 rides when disaster struck last weekend. I suspect a sharp rock.
    Ed E
    Why does this always seem to happen within a couple of weeks of installing a brand new tire?

Cold. Blue. Steel.
    Quote Originally Posted by Quasi
    Why does this always seem to happen within a couple of weeks of installing a brand new tire?
    The same reason it rains right after you wash your bike!
    Spinning and Grinning...

Dr Gadget is IN

Ramble

Back in the old days, all you had to do was run "thornproof" tubes with slime in them. Practically bombproof, but heavy and draggy. The last one that died ontrail took an entire mesquite branch to do it - 4 3" spikes with attached branch. It took me 1/2 hour of pushing other old thorns out of the tire before I could put in my spare (light) tube and continue back to civilization.

Then I converted to NoTubes - and went thru several tires as they were destroyed by rock gashes/etc. I finally settled on the WTB MotoRaptor - 26x2.4. They have been excellent tires for a 26er and with the addition of DIY sealant containing latex and slime have achieved the run times of the thornproofs.

When I got the 29er bug, I went with what worked: MotoRaptor. 29x2.1 (narrow) is all that is available still, but so far they have all the durability I need. A recent thread about them gives mixed results on ride performance, but all agree they are durable.

I note that I weigh 205, so a durable rear tire is req'd and put thru hell. I am trying lighter front tires now - Spec Fast Track 29x2.0 is holding up for 75 miles or so now.
    This isn't a "you're doing it wrong" topic.

WSS/OSS: Open Source Sealant

Schipperkes are cool.

IRC Notos

They have been the toughest, longest wearing tires around for us here in the Salida "razor sharp rocky" area. If you like to 2 wheel drift, these are the tires.
    Bontrager did and might still do make 29" Thorn Resistant tubes; they are heavy.

Scoty
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee
    Better suited to non-aggressive 125# gals named Russell.

Quote Originally Posted by banks
    They have been the toughest, longest wearing tires around for us here in the Salida "razor sharp rocky" area. If you like to 2 wheel drift, these are the tires.
    Bontrager did and might still do make 29" Thorn Resistant tubes; they are heavy.

Scoty
    And that's exactly where my poor Exi got sliced and diced - Salida. So listen to Scoty if you want tough tires! I have yet to try the IRC Notos.

Ed E

POG
    Pudgy Old Guy
    May 2004

Unfortunately, I like the IRC Notos...

Quote Originally Posted by banks

Scoty
    as well so they have stopped making them and I understand it is illegal to possess them in most states.

I actually decided to use exiwolfs at Syllamo since it was supposed to rain and I thought the Notos would slip and slide a bit too much on the rocks.

highly visible
    Quote Originally Posted by POG
    as well so they have stopped making them
    Looks like Nashbar bought up the remaining Notos still in the supply chain. Get yours here: http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?c...eid=&pagename=

Quote Originally Posted by POG
    and I understand it is illegal to possess them in most states.
    ??!?!??
    "People like GloyBoy are deaf. They are partisan, intellectually lazy & usually very angry." -Jaybo

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast