mtbr member
    Jul 2014

Torn between Sniper and SB100 - help me!

A little context, I live in SoCal and have a Tracer SL. I ride a lot of steeps and gnar and love my bike. However lately, I'm doing a less gnar more singletrack and I feel like I have just too much bike. My rides are typically climbing fire roads and going down illegal singletrack in Santa Monica, Laguna or Mt Wilson. I'd probably keep my tracer for days in Simi.

I'm looking to build up a trail bike that climbs easier but can still handle laguna steeps. I'm torn between another Intense, sniper trail or the SB100. Has anyone ridden both? Can anyone help me distinguish the pros/cons of each? I wish I had a connection to get the Yeti frame closer to the sniper. It's hard based on charts if 1 weighs more than the other. Seems like a complete bike with similar components comes out to about 25 lb for each. The sniper has more aggressive geo, which I think I will appreciate at speed and on the steeps..

Thanks in advance for any input!
    Last edited by PrimoLA; 3 Days Ago at 02:31 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I hear that the Sniper has a flexy rear end which would be a deal breaker for me. I am on a Yeti 4.5 and was on an Intense Spider 29 right before it. The Yeti suspension is far better. I think the SB100 will be a better and more stable bike with a stiffer frame. I'd get the Yeti...no contest.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyer View Post
    I hear that...I am on a Yeti 4.5... I'd get the Yeti...no contest.
    Have you ridden either the sniper or the sb100???
    Riding: '91 Carbon Epic Stumpjumper w/1" Slicks and a Rack on the Back

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I have a SB4.5 and the Sniper XC. Yeti is probably stiffer, but the suspension on the Sniper is really good, and the Sniper climbs like a rocket. I ride Laguna all the time. The geo on the Sniper makes it really fun and stable descending, but itís still only 100mm at the end of the day. Very easy to cover miles on the Sniper. I havenít ridden the SB100, but I love the Sniper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    I'm looking at the same bikes, plus the RM Element. similar specs/geo. Fezzari Signal Peak is another one to look at, just waiting on more reviews for a lot of these.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Are you considering the Sniper XC or the Sniper Trail? Perhaps not as important of a distinction if you plan to build it up from the frame but the trail builds are more comparable to the SB100.

If I got a new bike right now it'd definitely be between the Sniper Trail and the SB100. Unfortunately I haven't been able to demo the Sniper but have demo'd the SB100 and was really impressed with it. I ride a Salsa Horsethief now and am looking for something that climbs better but can still handle CO singletrack. Based on my demo the SB100 fit that bill perfectly, climbed great and surprisingly I didn't feel I gave up anything on the descents.

Unfortunately for me, I don't have any connections or hookups to get the Yeti at discount and buying the build I'd want as a complete bike is just a non-starter for me right now based on price. I can afford it, but I can't justify spending 8 grand when my current bike is perfectly fine, albeit a bit slower on the climbs.

Intense is a lot more attractive to me based on price, which is thanks in part to their direct sales model. The downside of that direct model is that I can't go to an LBS and demo one anywhere around me, and it looks like there are no Intense demo's anywhere near me for the rest of the year either. I don't think I can bring myself to pull the trigger on a bike without ever riding it so despite having new bike fever I think I'm just going to stick with the Salsa.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016

SB100 vs. Sniper

Did you pick which one? SB100 or Sniper.

Quote Originally Posted by tgarson View Post
    Are you considering the Sniper XC or the Sniper Trail? Perhaps not as important of a distinction if you plan to build it up from the frame but the trail builds are more comparable to the SB100.

If I got a new bike right now it'd definitely be between the Sniper Trail and the SB100. Unfortunately I haven't been able to demo the Sniper but have demo'd the SB100 and was really impressed with it. I ride a Salsa Horsethief now and am looking for something that climbs better but can still handle CO singletrack. Based on my demo the SB100 fit that bill perfectly, climbed great and surprisingly I didn't feel I gave up anything on the descents.

Unfortunately for me, I don't have any connections or hookups to get the Yeti at discount and buying the build I'd want as a complete bike is just a non-starter for me right now based on price. I can afford it, but I can't justify spending 8 grand when my current bike is perfectly fine, albeit a bit slower on the climbs.

Intense is a lot more attractive to me based on price, which is thanks in part to their direct sales model. The downside of that direct model is that I can't go to an LBS and demo one anywhere around me, and it looks like there are no Intense demo's anywhere near me for the rest of the year either. I don't think I can bring myself to pull the trigger on a bike without ever riding it so despite having new bike fever I think I'm just going to stick with the Salsa.