mtbr member

Torn between 2 bikes..

Hey Everyone,

I have decided to make the leap from boxstore mountain bikes. I have read a lot on these forums and I was convinced that the bike I was looking for was the 'Specialized Carve Comp 29'.. So.. I went to my LBS and told him this. He almost laughed and said "Sure, I can order you one but there is a reason I don't keep em in stock".. Then he made me try the "Giant XTC Composite 3'..

The composite felt so.. fragile.. I know that it's stronger/lighter/awesomer but it felt strange.

Anyway, long story short I'm looking for convincing on either bike. Pros and Cons from anybody who wants to give their input.

Thanks in advance!

mtbr member
    See if there's another store close enough that does stock the Carve. Or if this store will order the Carve no obligation to you, have him do it. Most stores I know of will. That way you can try both.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Ride other bikes too. You will start to find what feels good to you. Giant and Spec both have similar steep geo so try Scott and Trek for slack. Like a Trek Stache 8.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Sounds like he's trying to sell you a more expensive bike. Nothing wrong with the Carve. Alot of people like 'em.
    Livin' the dream.

Team Sanchez
    I ride a Giant xtc composite 1 and a specialized epic. So I have some experience with similar bikes. I like both companies but looking at the specs of these 2 bikes I would go with the XTC 100%. Carbon is a big difference maker in a hard tail and the specialized carve is aluminum. Also the Giant features a 15mil thru axle where the speci is qr (no beuno). Go with the Giant.
    Let's get down to the Neetty Greetty.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Though "carbon is a difference maker" it's also a good difference in a price tag. I do like it and all of my bikes are carbon. I've had some beer can bikes that rode nice, too.

Ollie- what's your budget look like?
    Livin' the dream.

mtbr member
    May 2012

Torn between 2 bikes..

The Giant comp frames are really awesome

mtbr member
    My original budget was around 1200$ to 1600$.. But today I made the mistake of going back to the shop and trying some full suspension bikes... Im now looking at the Giant Trance X 29er 1.. Which now doubles my original budget.

mtbr member
    Definitely see if you can demo the fully offroad before making your decision. Try to do some climbs with it and see if you don't mind the rear suspension compressing under you while you're powering uphill..