Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Top 7 Full Suspension 29ers in carbon...In no particular order. Thoughts???

1. Cannondale Scalpel Ultimate with Hollowgram 2x10 crankset Envy Wheels, $10,000. The comes with a lefty fork and with shock the frame weight is 4.18 lbs or 1900 grams (probably the lightest 29er full suspension), claimed shortest chain stay in the market at just under 17.5 but the Tallboy is pretty close to this too. Complaints, bad cable routing design. Excellent looking paint scheme outstanding looking frame design. Suspension is said to be stiff, uphill pedaling efficiency. Comes with Envy XC wheelset and DT 240 hubs. Head tube angle is 71.2 with 100mm lefty fork. Prices can be found around $10,000. Duties include XC, single track and trail duties.

2. Santa Cruz Tallboy XTR Kit 2X10 with Envy wheelset, $9,500. Probably the next shortest chain stay and next lightest frame weight at 5 lbs. Two color schemes to choose and well thought out cable routing that rides say does not take away from bikes lines or paint scheme. Said to be a do it all bike with 120mm fork, climbing, descending, now with 12X142 rear axle, increased stiffness. A company that focus only on mountain bikes and nothing else. Chain stay is 17.5 inches with a head tube angle of 71 (120mm fork gives 70.5). VPP2 suspension patented counter-rotating link design, Allows flexibility to design and manipulate shock rates for a huge diversity of uses, from razor sharp XC performance to bomber tough and ultra plush 10-inch travel downhill duty. Said to do it all very well and balanced from XC, ST, trail duty, and a bit of all mountain.

3. Niner Jet 9 RDO full XTR with Reynolds carbon wheelset $9,000. Pedaling platform is said to be the best here with the patented CVA suspension, it is said to be efficient in every chain ring. You won’t find this design on other bikes. Super stiff with now 12X142 rear axle. Some either love it or hate it, but design and paint scheme is well thought out with cable routing internally. Coming from a company that does only 29ers and mountain bikes only. Chain stay length is 17.91 inches with head tube angle of 70.5 (with a 120mm fork). This bike is said to also be a do it all and do it very well especially with an added 120mm fork, from XC, ST, to trail duties, some have even claim all mountain on this.

4. Specialized Epic with full XX groupset and Roval Carbon wheels, $10,000. Brain technology, some love it or hate it but when its on it is said to give some of the best pedaling platform around especially in steep technical climbs. Servicing the brain is said to be expensive and reliability on it is some good and some bad. Revolutionary SBC technology, manufactured by Fox, automatically sets the proper sag and air pressure in your rear shock. Roval Control SL 29 wheelsets (S-Works model) and Roval Control Carbon 29 wheelset (Marathon model). Chainstay is 17.64 inches, head tube angle is 70.5.

5. Giant Anthem X Advanced full XX with Giant P-XCR Composite 29er 0 Wheel system $9,000. Maestro suspension, said to be one of the best all around technologies. This bike is fast and climbs well. 71.3 degree head tube angle with a chain stay of 18.2. Bike mag.com said “Maestro is the marketing handle for Giant’s short, dual-link suspension design. If I had to describe Maestro, I’d characterize it as a lot like VPP or DW Link, but with a bit less pedaling efficiency and, generally speaking, better small bump compliance under pedaling loads than either of those competing systems. Or to put it simply: smooth but a bit squishier whilst pedaling than some other virtual pivot point-ese bikes.” Frame weight 4.85 lbs for a medium frame so a large is probably around 5lbs. It is said to climb and track impressively well.

6. Trek Superfly pro SL. Complaints have been frame cracks in the carbon but outstanding warranty from Trek takes care of its customers. This one of the mores slacker head tube angles out of the group here with a 100mm fork. Head tube angle is 70 degrees with a chain stay of 17.80 inches. This bike said to handle really well and is very very fast. The Active Braking Pivot does a great job of preventing unwanted pedal bob while hammering up the climb and the geometry of the bike keeps the front end planted down while tracking straight. Frame weight of 5lbs.
    Thoughts on these bikes and their duties? Do you use strictly for XC, ST, trail or all mountain rides? These listed are the best of the best.

7. Intense Spider comp 29, full XT with 140mm Fox fork $6,000. Intriguing part is the travel is adjustable from 4.5 to 5inches, VPP suspension, 12x142 axle. CLEAN internal cable routing, looks slick. Head tube is the most slackest from this whole bunch at 68.5 degrees with a 120mm fork or 67.5 with a 140mm fork (incredible) and a chain stay length of 17.5 inches. The bike comes available with a 140mm fork and can fit 120mm fork if so desired. Frame weight is at 5 and 1/2 lbs. IT is a bit heavier than the all ones listed above.

Who is left out of the category?

A new all mountain category will have to be done to compare the new all mountain 29er full suspension Carbon only bikes like the Tallboy LTc 135mm VPP suspension head to head with soon to come Niner Rip 9 RDO carbon 125mm CVA suspension and Specialized S-Works Stumpjumper FSR 130mm travel. Not too many companies getting into this with carbon but I suspect this will change as the other companies see the customers wanting these in carbon based on the sales from SC, Spec, and I’m sure Niner will sell a whole lot.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Top 7 Full Suspension 29ers in carbon...In no particular order.  Thoughts???-2013-cannondale-scalpel-29er-carbon-ultimate.jpg  

Top 7 Full Suspension 29ers in carbon...In no particular order.  Thoughts???-santa-cruz-tallboy-carbon-red-bike-a1.jpg  

Top 7 Full Suspension 29ers in carbon...In no particular order.  Thoughts???-20120503-niner-jet9-rdo-9584-featured.jpeg  

Top 7 Full Suspension 29ers in carbon...In no particular order.  Thoughts???-epic-black-1-.jpg  

Top 7 Full Suspension 29ers in carbon...In no particular order.  Thoughts???-epic-2.jpg  

Top 7 Full Suspension 29ers in carbon...In no particular order.  Thoughts???-xx-advanced.jpg  

Top 7 Full Suspension 29ers in carbon...In no particular order.  Thoughts???-anthem-x.jpg  

Top 7 Full Suspension 29ers in carbon...In no particular order.  Thoughts???-superfly.jpg  

Top 7 Full Suspension 29ers in carbon...In no particular order.  Thoughts???-2012-spider-29-comp-hi-res-102.jpg  

Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    ONe more SPider comp photo...

By the way, this is not exhaustive, nor is it accurate, it is relative so that is why I ask for your thoughts. I know there are some that are left out. One that just came to mind is the Pivot 429 carbon, but it is our change to say what we like or don't like about these bikes in comparison to others we have spent time on.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Top 7 Full Suspension 29ers in carbon...In no particular order.  Thoughts???-spider-comp-29.jpg  

Last edited by Rev. 14; 11-28-2012 at 08:16 AM.

bt
    mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    spider looks baaad ass

MSH
    mtbr member
    The ones that stands out as missing to me are two of the new frames on my short-list for next year. Both carbon 100mm travel.

Pivot 429 Carbon ---> Bike Detail | Pivot Cycles - Mountain Bikes for XC, Trail, Downhill

Rocky Mountain Element 999 RSL (advertised 4.38 lbs frame weight for Medium) ---> Models | Rocky Mountain 2013 Element 29 RSL

Edit---> didn't notice that you mentioned the 429C in your subsequent post

banned
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Rev. 14 View Post
    ONe more SPider comp photo...

By the way, this is not exhaustive, nor is it accurate, it is relative so that is why I ask for your thoughts. I know there are some that are left out. One that just came to mind is the Pivot 429 carbon, but it is our change to say what we like or don't like about these bikes in comparison to others we have spent time on.
    Love the look of this bike

mtbr member

Scott Spark

Last edited by Billy Davis; 11-28-2012 at 03:51 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Yes, forgot the Scott spark. Read a head to head comparison between it and the Cannondale Scalpel in a mag a few months back.

Mtn View, CA
    Ibis Mojo?
    Atomic batteries to power...turbines to speed...

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    This, for less than some of them! :
    2007 Cdale Caffeine 29er Lefty.
    "Your not going to shove you're proper grammer down are throats!!"

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by gddyap View Post
    Ibis Mojo?
    Is not the Mojo a 26er though? I think the Ripley would fall in this category well but I don't think it is out yet. Unless I'm wrong.

I really think the Scalpel looks really incredible, but I'm too sure about durability, I do know they still have a lifetime warranty. The suspension is something I need to try to compare. IMO, I think the Jet 9 RDO and Scalpel look the best, from what I've read the RDO has the superior suspension though. You'd be hard pressed to have to do anything to the scalpel, that thing is so light.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Sheesh, this type of comparison has been on my mind recently.

I want a bike that can be pedaled easily like my spearfish, but doesn't become limited on rough downhills which is when I pull out the 130mm stumpjumper out for (contradiction right?).

There is such a selection of bike now that I believe it is possible to get exactly that...but in what flavor?!

I'm demoing the spider Dec 8 so that will be one good step towards finding my ideal ride.

Don't be too surprised if Yeti releases their carbon SB-95 sooner than later too.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by jduffett View Post
    Carbon front and aluminum rear? Can chain stays be too short on a FS 29er? Pricing?

mtbr member
    Holy pixels, Batman!! What's with the ginormous pictures???? Makes the thread unreadable without way too much scrolling back and forth.
    www.teamnavycycling.org
    10 Pivot Mach 429
    09 Felt Nine Race
    03 Litespeed Tuscany

get down!
    looks fine on my screen

are you on a monitor with a black background and green letters by chance?

Rudy Projects look ridiculous

visit my blog, BEATS, BIKES & LIFE

official eMpTyBRain
    Mentioned, but not pictured. So here it is.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Top 7 Full Suspension 29ers in carbon...In no particular order.  Thoughts???-429c2.gif  

...and proud member of the anti-sock puppet desolation

mtbr member
    Isn't it funny how they all look pretty much the same except for that orange thing that would rip them all a new a hole! Just kidding but it is really hard to accept that a bicycle could be more expensive than that ktm rocket!
    “An adventure is misery and discomfort, relived in the safety of reminiscence.” Marco Polo

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by GSJ1973 View Post
    Carbon front and aluminum rear? Can chain stays be too short on a FS 29er? Pricing?
    Yes.
    The chain stays are one of the main things that attracts me to it, based on my experience on a couple of other 29ers. I'll find how well that works out in the spring...
    Carbon frameset is $2100 CAD MSRP - $300 upcharge over the Canadian-built aluminum frame. The RX Carbon is $4300 CAD MSRP, but I'm not sure about the SL. Pricing used to be on the website, but it seems to be gone now...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by appleSSeed View Post
    looks fine on my screen

are you on a monitor with a black background and green letters by chance?
    No, but strangely, it's now normal size. Maybe the browser wasn't fitting to the window the first time I looked or something. I haven't changed any settings.
    www.teamnavycycling.org
    10 Pivot Mach 429
    09 Felt Nine Race
    03 Litespeed Tuscany

J79
    mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Any thoughts on the GT Zaskar 100 9R

Liked the looks of the bike, haven´t tried it. My Local GT LBS couldn´t get a demo bike.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    That Cube comes really decked out, even has a Next SL crankset. Couldn't find prices.

Your Best Friend
    I started this thread awhile ago:

FS Carbon 29er Race Bikes

No ride reviews but I think it is a pretty comprehensive list.

CS2
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbadwulff View Post
    This, for less than some of them! :
    A lot more fun too.
    1982, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1986, 1992 Stumpjumpers. 1995 Waterford 1200, 1999 Waterford RSE, plus a garage full of steel frames.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Silentfoe, I'm hoping some will give some riding reviews, but nothing has happened yet.

As I listed them I did forget about the Pivot 429, the list I have compiled is about the top ones, the best of the best, suspensions, builds, looks, and ride-ability. Lets give some comparisons to whomever owns a couple of these or has owned them. I know some of you own a couple of these or a few of them...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast