Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Tomac Flint 29

Trail Junkie

Tomac Flint 29

I was searching out options that were capable of running SS or geared, and came across this frame.

Does anyone have any experience (outside of the 3 reviews) with the frame and maybe what it compares to and such?

The frame is rated at about 3.5lb AN6 (assuming that 6061 T6 Aluminum) and can be converted from SS to geared with the Bushnell EBB installed. I have no experience with SS, but it seems that the EBB when working properly and not making noise works better than sliders. Either way at $498.00, its a pretty sweet frame!
    Last edited by dubdryver; 01-26-2011 at 03:03 PM.
    Santa Cruz Tallboy c
    Lynskey Pro29 SS
    Cervelo S2
    Spech Tricross Exp
    Raleigh Rx1.0

Fut. Bikes:
    Misfit diSSent
    Soma ES

mtbr member
    I was interested in this frame too due to the price. I asked around for months and couldn't find anyone that's actually ridden or seen one. There are a few magazine reviews online.

Did I catch a niner?
    My go to LBS the owner rides this bike and has nothing but praises for it, he rides it exclusively SS (he won SSWC 2000) and races it this way. I have not asked him specifically about the Bushnell BB though.

Me personally I am not a aluminum fan much prefer steel but to each his own.
    Mr. Krabs: Is it true, Squidward? Is it hilarious?
    https://www.dollarshaveclub.com/ref/...A0CC/s/tx/cx/1

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pink57
    My go to LBS the owner rides this bike and has nothing but praises for it, he rides it exclusively SS (he won SSWC 2000) and races it this way. I have not asked him specifically about the Bushnell BB though.

Me personally I am not a aluminum fan much prefer steel but to each his own.
    Hollywood?

I am going back and forth between the Flint and the Spearfish.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Hi,

I`m riding a flint since a cuple of months. The EBB works great. On my 26er I used a ENO, but the EBB is much easier to adjust.

I really like this bike. The performance is great. The frame is light and stable.

regards

Ampel

mtbr member
    That's a nice looking bike.

Trail Junkie
    Awesome! I ended up pulling the trigger on the frame. Hopefully it will ship out at the end of Feb/ beginning of March. I called up Tomac and they said that it doesn't come with a hanger/spacer for the singlespeed setup, and I can either cut it off or run it as is. Thought that was kind of wierd or not thought through, but I'll probably just cut it and buy a spare!

I really like your setup, and chances are, mine will be similar color-wise (white and black w/ red accents). Do you have a weight on that setup?
    Santa Cruz Tallboy c
    Lynskey Pro29 SS
    Cervelo S2
    Spech Tricross Exp
    Raleigh Rx1.0

Fut. Bikes:
    Misfit diSSent
    Soma ES

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I've been riding/racing one since last April. Love it.

Did I catch a niner?

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by skilikeme
    Hollywood?

I am going back and forth between the Flint and the Spearfish.
    Yeah I work across the street from his shop so I always go there, great guy to work with and very up front about service.

The Flint and Spearfish are a pretty big change between each other. I see you are in Savage, I am in AV I live about a mile from Leb

I don't know if he races that bike anymore he did at the time I asked him.
    Mr. Krabs: Is it true, Squidward? Is it hilarious?
    https://www.dollarshaveclub.com/ref/...A0CC/s/tx/cx/1

mtbr member
    Oct 2009

Here's mine

since this pic I have switched to a 2.4 Schwalbe Racing Ralph front and a 2.25 RR rear.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    sweet looking rig

meatier showers
    Quote Originally Posted by RogerRacer
    sweet looking rig
    Damn it is. I'm tempted to replace my current HT with one of these. Where's the deal?

--sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

Quote Originally Posted by riverrat
    Jaybo... quit *****ing and move to Texas

Trail Junkie
    Cambrai has them for $495 (frame), but they are on backorder. Joel at Tomac told me end of Feb. they are getting a new shipment in, hope I am on a shortlist to receive one....

Here is a pic in it's nakedness!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tomac Flint 29-tomac_flint_29er_frame.jpg  

Santa Cruz Tallboy c
    Lynskey Pro29 SS
    Cervelo S2
    Spech Tricross Exp
    Raleigh Rx1.0

Fut. Bikes:
    Misfit diSSent
    Soma ES

meatier showers
    Quote Originally Posted by dubdryver
    Cambrai has them for $495 (frame), but they are on backorder. Joel at Tomac told me end of Feb. they are getting a new shipment in, hope I am on a shortlist to receive one....

Here is a pic in it's nakedness!
    Nice, thanks.

--sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

Quote Originally Posted by riverrat
    Jaybo... quit *****ing and move to Texas

Just Wanna Ride!
    Feb 2004
    Sweet looking bike - and John Tomac rocks! Just having his name on the bike has got to make you faster!

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Joel Smith is a great guy to work with too. You won't be disappointed with Customer Service from him.

tl1
    Bicyclist

Why did you perforate a...

Awesome! I ended up pulling the trigger on the frame.
    ...brand new bicycle frame with gunfire?

Seriously can we stop using firearm terminology to describe bicycle purchases? It's getting really sad after the shooting of avid bicyclist Gabrielle Giffords in Arizona. Even in the case of firearm crazy Tomac brand.

http://tucsonvelo.com/news/giffords-...-shooting/5455
    Last edited by tl1; 01-30-2011 at 08:52 PM.

Team Awesome
    Quote Originally Posted by tl1
    ...brand new bicycle frame with gunfire?

Seriously can we stop using firearm terminology to describe bicycle purchases? It's getting really sad after the shooting of avid bicyclist Gabrielle Giffords in Arizona. Even in the case of firearm crazy Tomac brand.

http://tucsonvelo.com/news/giffords-...-shooting/5455
    I can't wait to pull the trigger on a new bike frame. Then I'm going to take it out and slay some trails.

Then I might pop a cap in some dirt jumps.

Maybe after I'm done with the figurative language, I'll enjoy my "right to keep and bear arms."

Troll.

tl1
    Bicyclist

Yes well...

Quote Originally Posted by playpunk
    I can't wait to pull the trigger on a new bike frame. Then I'm going to take it out and slay some trails.

Then I might pop a cap in some dirt jumps.

Maybe after I'm done with the figurative language, I'll enjoy my "right to keep and bear arms."

Troll.

...I felt quite macho after my first few beers too. Enjoy.

Trail Junkie
    I didn't really like the vibe that I was feeling while talking to Joel. It felt like the questions I was asking were a waste of his time, but he did answer them.

Don't get me wrong, I am still purchasing the frame...

One thing that I felt they cut corners on was the derailleur hanger. For the single speed, you use the same hanger as basically a spacer to mount the QR. It does not come with a spare, and he told me when I asked if it came with something specific to the SS setup that I use the same hanger and have a choice to leave it hang or cut it off. I really thing something that simple could have been considered for the SS setup already done.

I am not worried about it because I am completely capable of machining it off, but I will have to buy a new hanger for the one I destroyed (in the event I want to run it geared for bike packing). That was really my only complaint.

I was also considering the Yeti Big Top because it came SS/Geared, and had a carbon rear and tapered headtube. When I talked to Competitive Cycles, they said it didn't come with the SS setup, and I have to buy it from Yeti (seems kind of dumb)...he said it would probably be $30-40. I called up Yeti to find out specifically, and they said it was $150+shipping, and was done by a tensioner system which I was wanting EBB as a preference. They guy didn't even seem phased one bit when I gasped at the $150 SS dropouts to go along with the $1,100 frame cost..oh by the way, the Flint 29 is still lighter by over 1/2lb.

I have no doubt about the validity of the Big Top and the benefits of carbon and the other bells and whistles that make it a very comprehensive frame, but for the pricepoint...I would have had to be a really hardcore Yeti fan to buy into that.
    Santa Cruz Tallboy c
    Lynskey Pro29 SS
    Cervelo S2
    Spech Tricross Exp
    Raleigh Rx1.0

Fut. Bikes:
    Misfit diSSent
    Soma ES

get down!
    IMO the Soul Cycles frame seems like a better deal (or similar) and comes with all the mentioned accouterments
    Last edited by appleSSeed; 01-31-2011 at 11:39 PM.
    Rudy Projects look ridiculous

visit my blog, BEATS, BIKES & LIFE

Trail Junkie
    The Dillinger does look like a sweet bike. There are definitely aspects that I like on that bike more than the Tomac such as the junction from the BB to the chainstays...very custom! It appears that there is quite a few different colors available, or brushed for the same price of the Tomac. I am going to give them a call and discuss the particulars. I however do not like the EBB design with the bosses on the bottom of the BB to hold the EBB in place. I feel that is a dated design. The frame is also more than a half of a pound heavier. Which isn't really the main thing, but I am working towards building the bike to be under 20lb. and .7lb is a good amount.
    Santa Cruz Tallboy c
    Lynskey Pro29 SS
    Cervelo S2
    Spech Tricross Exp
    Raleigh Rx1.0

Fut. Bikes:
    Misfit diSSent
    Soma ES

mtbr member
    I was also considering the Yeti Big Top because it came SS/Geared, and had a carbon rear and tapered headtube. When I talked to Competitive Cycles, they said it didn't come with the SS setup, and I have to buy it from Yeti (seems kind of dumb)...he said it would probably be $30-40. I called up Yeti to find out specifically, and they said it was $150+shipping, and was done by a tensioner system which I was wanting EBB as a preference. They guy didn't even seem phased one bit when I gasped at the $150 SS dropouts to go along with the $1,100 frame cost..oh by the way, the Flint 29 is still lighter by over 1/2lb.
    I have a Yeti Big top frame, and I'd be willing to bet that it's almost a pound heavier than the Tomac. It's ALOT beefier than my Niner AIR 9. I can't believe the single speed rear chip is $150? I just bought the 12x142mm rear chip for $40

Trail Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by zenboy99
    I have a Yeti Big top frame, and I'd be willing to bet that it's almost a pound heavier than the Tomac. It's ALOT beefier than my Niner AIR 9. I can't believe the single speed rear chip is $150? I just bought the 12x142mm rear chip for $40
    Yes, I couldn't believe it either! I was really going to opt for that frame, but then add an extra $150 for dropouts, sliders that inevitably slip and the initial heft altogether was just too much!
    $1250+shipping and not even full carbon is a little bit steep...
    Santa Cruz Tallboy c
    Lynskey Pro29 SS
    Cervelo S2
    Spech Tricross Exp
    Raleigh Rx1.0

Fut. Bikes:
    Misfit diSSent
    Soma ES

mtbr member
    It is really pricey, I'm wondering how good they'll sell. I only bought mine because I got it for 5% over cost through my LBS sponsorship. I also broke 3 Niner's so I wanted something stronger. I wasn't sure about the Tomac Flint because I couldn't find any info online and we didn't have a dealer locally.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast