Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jun 2011

Tomac Diplomat 29er info ?

Hello,

I'm interested by this bike but its' difficult to find review on this !

And i'm surprise to not see the diplomat in the last tomac's brochure,

Actually i hesitate between a tomac 29 and santacruz tallboy alu

Someone can say to me some info ? or better choice

Thx

Team Velveeta™

New for 2011

Quote Originally Posted by lifetime View Post
    Hello,

I'm interested by this bike but its' difficult to find review on this !

And i'm surprise to not see the diplomat in the last tomac's brochure,

Actually i hesitate between a tomac 29 and santacruz tallboy alu

Someone can say to me some info ? or better choice

Thx
    The Diplomat is not in the 2010 brochure because it is a new for 2011 model. I have number 23:

I have not ridden the Tallboy, so I can't comment on that, but I'm diggin' my Diplomat. I've had it for only about two months, but I adapted to it right away and it feels as natural now as if I'd been riding it for a year.

The Diplomat is the 5th bigwheel full-suspension bike I've owned. I have a very soft place in my heart for my second bigwheel full-suspension bike, a Lenz Leviathan 4.0. But this bike is already at least in second place, and may wind up being my favorite of the bunch.

The idea behind the Diplomat is that it's extending a welcome to riders of 26" to come over to the dark side. Basically, it rides very much like an all-mountain 26" bike but with the stability of the 29. Very responsive and maneuverable. Climbs very well, descends like a champ with a nice balance between nimble and stable.

What else?
    Last edited by TomP; 06-22-2011 at 04:23 PM. Reason: add comment
    Tom Purvis - Salida, CO - http://teamvelveeta.tom-purvis.com

"I like my wimmen like I like my beer--cold and bitter!"

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Thx you help me for my decision

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    NIce looking bike Tom. How much did ti run, if you don't mind me asking, and where are the dealers in the States?
    2011 Quiring 29er Steel Hardtail
    2009 Gt Peace 9'R SS
    2009 Surly Cross Check
    1997 GT Zaskar
    1985 Raleigh Elkhorn SS

tiny rider
    I saw a frame hanging at Redstone Cyclery (http://www.redstonecyclery.com/) in Lyons, CO. Dave should be able to help you through a build if you are interested and is someone worth supporting.
    Last edited by cartographer; 06-23-2011 at 09:29 AM.

Team Velveeta™

Price and Dealer

Quote Originally Posted by Zaskar24 View Post
    NIce looking bike Tom. How much did ti run, if you don't mind me asking, and where are the dealers in the States?
    MSRP for the frame is ~$1300, comes with Fox RP23 and FSA Headset (tapered head tube).

Absolute Bikes in Salida, CO is the dealer I worked with. I was starting with a donor bike, so I had wheels, drivetrain, etc. Hard to say exactly what my outlay was all told.

For dealers close to where ever you are, I found this on the tomac.com website:

To find a US Dealer near you please contact:

Tomac Mountain Bikes
    2932 S. 26th Street
    Lincoln, NE 68502
    Ph: 402-261-3988

Good luck!

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I've been on my diplomat for a month or so now too. I agree with TomP, riding it was so natural...no adjustments needed. While not the lightest of bikes, my medium sits about 27 1/2 lbs with my Stan's Crests on there. (but that's not really the bike those wheels are intended for)

I did a 24 hour race this past weekend and did 1/2 the laps on my HT Flint, then switched to the Diplo when I needed more love'n.

While it somewhat depends on the type of trails you'll be riding, I'd have a hard time NOT recommending the Diplomat. If you're looking for an XC race bike, its not. If you're looking to be hucking off 6 foot drops, its not. For most of the stuff inbetween, it is.

"edit" sorry, I forgot to add a pic for ya!

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Thank you for the info guys. That is a pretty good price for a 120mm travel 29er. Going to have to add it to my list of ones that I am looking at.
    2011 Quiring 29er Steel Hardtail
    2009 Gt Peace 9'R SS
    2009 Surly Cross Check
    1997 GT Zaskar
    1985 Raleigh Elkhorn SS

R.I.P. DogFriend

"True Story"

Saw a guy emerge from one of our local trails this evening. This particular trail has been good in the past, but is currently overgrown. We exchange pleasantries and he asks which trails are currently good, and not so overgrown. We invite him to ride along. As we were riding and chatting, he said he used to ride here some years ago, he says his name is Joel and his dad has a motorcycle dealership and used to race motorcycles in the desert.

We finally ask what his dad's name is. . . . . . "Malcolm".

Of course, being old dirt bikers, we melt down like schoolgirls.

Very nice, gracious guy and a heck of a good rider.

Good looking bike he was on too

ride
    Zaskar24, I'd definitely add that to a list of bikes to consider. I did something a week ago that I wouldn't ever recommend anyone do but... As Cartographer said, I had a Diplomat on the wall earlier - it's not on the wall any longer.

I built it on Friday, had a shakedown ride for an hour or so on Sunday, then raced the Firecracker 50 in Breckenridge with it on Monday the 4th. Truth be told, in retrospect, I still wouldn't have picked another bike. It was super natural feeling from the get go. Rides a lot lighter than it's weight. I won't use the tired analogy of "quick like a 26er" but it did feel very lightfooted and quick. I'm loving it so far.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tomac Diplomat 29er info ?-img_20110703_180004.jpg  

Redstone Cyclery
    turner*intense*transition*REEB*Rocky Mt
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

MTB B'dos
    OK guys, seriously, not trying to be silly, but it's a single pivot suspensions design unless I'm not seeing good, so how does it compare to something like a DW link Pivot or Turner, Maestro AnthemX. I've riden single pivots and they just don't have great climbing ability to me like the multi-link bikes and braking normally suffers as well. Frame price is very, very low compared to most other 29er FS bikes out there, only thing cheaper is the Voodoo Canzo.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

Team Velveeta™

lighter than its weight

Quote Originally Posted by ignazjr View Post
    ... It was super natural feeling from the get go. Rides a lot lighter than it's weight. I won't use the tired analogy of "quick like a 26er" but it did feel very lightfooted and quick. I'm loving it so far.
    I agree with that "Rides a lot lighter than it's weight" comment. It's really not very light (mine especially with big tires, tubes and sealant) but it just feels responsive. Also the 26er thing: I haven't ridden a 26" bike for more than 5 minutes in several years.

Lynx: Yeah, it's a single pivot. That's one of those potentially religious discussions. Some people think single pivots are backward and primitive, others think they are nice and simple and work just great. Different strokes.

I'd like to spend some time with a DW Link, CVA, VPP, but I haven't wound up with one. Of the 5 full-suspension 29ers I've owned, the one with the 4-bar was the only one I wound up really not liking. Mostly it was because of geometry, but I also found it too mushy in the back.

Arybody got they own kind a criteria for liking bikes.

ride
    I'm with Tom. I've had a bunch o bikes, single pivot, DW, and VPP. It's all about the entire package, not just the linkage. I think this Diplomat is pretty great all the way around. I use the Propedal on roads and what not but that's about it. It's a great climber.
    Redstone Cyclery
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

MTB B'dos
    Would you say what bike it was? FSR narrows it down quite abit and truly, I've never found SpecialEDs FSR bikes to pedal so fantastic without using all sorts of settings on the shock. Also feel the same about SC VPP, at least the ones I've riden, didn't pedal well at all, had to use PP2 al the time.

Quote Originally Posted by TomP View Post
    I agree with that "Rides a lot lighter than it's weight" comment. It's really not very light (mine especially with big tires, tubes and sealant) but it just feels responsive. Also the 26er thing: I haven't ridden a 26" bike for more than 5 minutes in several years.

Lynx: Yeah, it's a single pivot. That's one of those potentially religious discussions. Some people think single pivots are backward and primitive, others think they are nice and simple and work just great. Different strokes.

I'd like to spend some time with a DW Link, CVA, VPP, but I haven't wound up with one. Of the 5 full-suspension 29ers I've owned, the one with the 4-bar was the only one I wound up really not liking. Mostly it was because of geometry, but I also found it too mushy in the back.

Arybody got they own kind a criteria for liking bikes.
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

Team Velveeta™

2011 Stump29

Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    Would you say what bike it was? FSR narrows it down quite abit and truly, I've never found SpecialEDs FSR bikes to pedal so fantastic without using all sorts of settings on the shock. Also feel the same about SC VPP, at least the ones I've riden, didn't pedal well at all, had to use PP2 al the time.
    Yes I would, but I'll need to clarify:

It was a 2011 Stumpy29 Comp, which is the one with no brain and Fox Triad.

Now the clarity: I do not think I'm experienced enough at all to be passing judgement on multi-link bikes. I'm much more of an endurance X/C rider than a gravity freak. I like to ride fast, and I think I'm a fairly good bike handler. I have a bunch of fun and scare the crap out of myself on most any bike I ride fast. My attitude about single pivots is, they are plenty fun enough for me, I have a gas cornering on them, the ones I've had climbed well... it ain't broke so I ain't fixin' it.

The modern StumpJumper29s are great at what they do. I think they are very heavily slanted toward the freeride end of the mtb spectrum. They are really slack, really long, really low, and optimized for technical stuff at speed. Compared to the bikes I have liked more, they are too far optimized in that direction. Climbing on mine felt like driving a 1972 Plymouth Fury III on a narrow and twisty mountain road.

In retrospect, if I was going to go with Specialized I should have gotten the Epic because it suits my kind of riding more. I might have liked that bike and kept that bike. But I got all jazzed up about having 130mm of travel in the back. I honestly don't think I rode the Stump downhill any faster than I rode my Canzo29 or am currently riding my Diplomat. But uphill I'm sure it was slower.

I have never liked the brain. I think it solves a problem that does not exist (though perhaps it does on the Stump!). It's for people who aren't really sure they want a full-suspension bike. Full-suspension bikes should work well without being locked out. Smart damping like propedal should be adequate.

I think the Triad was a poor shock, at least for me. I couldn't have known without trying one for a while. It's got three settings: free, fully locked (which I think defeats the purpose of a full-suspension bike), and one level of propedal, which I found to be the wrong level of propedal.

So, I can't tell you that you're wrong about multi-link bikes. I don't have the experience. I also can't pound on the table and say single pivots are the best. All I can say is that the single pivots I've spent miles on have been great. And I had lots more fun on any one of them than I did on the one multi-link bike I've owned.

ignazjr says "It's all about the entire package, not just the linkage", and I agree. To the extent that I know diddly doodly about it.
    Last edited by TomP; 07-12-2011 at 03:13 PM. Reason: foto

Keep on Rockin...
    Single pivots seem to come in two basic flavors: High forward (Bullit, Heckler), and low.

I find the high forwards feel harsh when pedaling through rough stuff. Low single pivots (and "faux-bars" - Lenz, Kona) pedal nicely through the rough but seem to bob more.

If I'm hauling around all the monkey motion I want it as active as possible. Personally I really liked the Santa Cruz's VPP when I had a Blur way back when.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Typically German Bike mag review results table. They rate Diplomat climbing ability so so. But it rates well overall.[ need your Google translater]
    I've seen linkage design plots for 2010 Tomac bikes and brake squat is typically pretty high like other high single pivot designs. it looks like they have done a reasonable job off masking other single pivot faults by clever shock and linkage design.
    Attached Files Attached Files

MTB B'dos
    Ah, well that explains it for me then, appreciate it To me what that says is you bought the wrong geo bike for your style of riding, definitely sounds like an Epic would suit you better. Although I am a multi-link liker, you just cannot ignore the price of the Diplomet compared to other frames selling at retail and not on special clearance. My problem is I can't get to test anything down here, only if and when I travel and then that's normally only to on location, so still hard to get a variety to demo. Still next time I'm away I'd like to get to see and test one of these and a few other bikes.

Friends have had Trek EXs, both the original and next year models with asymetrical stays and I found that neither pedalled as well as my Giant Trance did, which only had a FloatR and as I said, wasn't impressed bby how the Blur pedalled without PP on. Maybe for me good pedalling is important because we have so much road and smooth cane track between the real little gems of trails we have here that it's important, also our road climbs (also part of every ride) are quite steep in comparison as the islands too small to use switchbacks and I hate a wollowy feeeling bike

Yes I would, but I'll need to clarify:

It was a 2011 Stumpy29 Comp, which is the one with no brain and Fox Triad............................................. ..........So, I can't tell you that you're wrong about multi-link bikes. I don't have the experience. I also can't pound on the table and say single pivots are the best. All I can say is that the single pivots I've spent miles on have been great. And I had lots more fun on any one of them than I did on the one multi-link bike I've owned.

ignazjr says "It's all about the entire package, not just the linkage", and I agree. To the extent that I know diddly doodly about it.
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by gvs_nz View Post
    Typically German Bike mag review results table. They rate Diplomat climbing ability so so. But it rates well overall.[ need your Google translater]
    I've seen linkage design plots for 2010 Tomac bikes and brake squat is typically pretty high like other high single pivot designs. it looks like they have done a reasonable job off masking other single pivot faults by clever shock and linkage design.
    How do I get Google translator to translate this?

mtbr member
    Another review of this bike? Anyone build one up? I'm thinking of considering it...

mtbr member
    Sep 2011

Number 23?

The Diplomat is not in the 2010 brochure because it is a new for 2011 model. I have number 23:

I have not ridden the Tallboy, so I can't comment on that, but I'm my Diplomat. I've had it for only about two months, but I adapted to it right away and it feels as natural now as if I'd been riding it for a year.

The Diplomat is the 5th bigwheel full-suspension bike I've owned. I have a very soft place in my heart for my second bigwheel full-suspension bike, a Lenz Leviathan 4.0. But this bike is already at least in second place, and may wind up being my favorite of the bunch.

The idea behind the Diplomat is that it's extending a welcome to riders of 26" to come over to the dark side. Basically, it rides very much like an all-mountain 26" bike but with the stability of the 29. Very responsive and maneuverable. Climbs very well, descends like a champ with a nice balance between nimble and stable.

What else?
    Hi guys,

I am from the netherlands and the bikeshop is building a diplomat for me right now. I hope it is ready on saturday.
    I noticed you say ya have number 23. Where do you see this? Is that number on the frame??

By the way. Are there more people now who had the chance try this bike??

regards.

tiny rider
    By the way, I see that Dave from Redstone is selling off his demo Diplomat (size Large):

redstone underground: 2011 Tomac Diplomat 29er Large for sale

Not affiliated and what not...

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I am confused now!! I see two types of rearstays (rearfork???) on the internet. I am not good at tecnical english so i try to explane.
    The rearstay is screwed on to the rearshock. Joel,s white bike in another topic on here has a welded rearstay with a bracket srewed on top to make it stiffer. Other types like the picture above in this topic are screwed togheter and do not have the bracket to make it stiffer!!! Can anyone follow what i mean and maybe rectify this in proper english? Wich one is the latest version and why did they change this should be the question i guess. They are building me the screwed togheter version right now. If they sell me the old version i am scr*wed to i guess

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Anything new for 2012? i haven't seen any press releases. Pic on Tomac site
    looks like 1.5" head tube. Same shock? Possibly larger diameter down tube?

ride
    My dealer info indicates the Diplomat is unchanged. Pretty sure that pic on the website of the 2012 frame is a file photo of a pre production bike with the 1 1 /8 head tube and the old Maverick style seatpost clamp.
    Redstone Cyclery
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast