mtbr member
    Apr 2013

toes hitting front tires on turns - normal?

Just got a new 20" 29er bike - up from a 26er. Surprised to see only ~2" from horizontal crank end to front tire (Airborne 20" Gobiln). My SPD cleats are all the way forward on the bottom of my size 12 shoes, but i'm still rubbing my toe on the tire when turning. This is my first 29er...is this normal?

Obviously i can put my outside foot back when turning, but if i want to keep pedaling through the turn, i'm SOL it seems. I have 30 days to return the bike...Thanks!

mtbr member
    That is called "Toe Overlap" -- it is common on some bikes and depends on the size and geometry; it is very prevalent on track bikes because of the compact geometry and straight angled forks for example. On 29ers, I think it is a byproduct of some design's efforts to give them more nimble handling by shortening the wheelbase using a steep hta and low rake front end design, which tucks the front wheel underneath you.

Sheldon Brown explains toe overlap: Sheldon Brown's Bicycle Glossary Ta--To

Toe Clip Overlap
    On many bicycles, especially those with smaller frames and full-sized wheels, it is possible for the front fender or tire to bump into the rider's toe or to the toe clip. Some people worry a lot about this, but it is rarely a significant problem in practice.

The only time it can happen is when the handlebars are turned quite far to the side, as only happens at very low speeds.

Many, many people ride bicycles with fairly severe overlap with no practical problems, sometimes having to make a slight adjustment to their pedaling habits at very slow speeds.

On smaller-size bikes with full-sized wheels, it is usually impossible to eliminate overlap without causing adverse fit/handling issues
    There are some other forum threads about this very issue: https://www.google.com/#output=searc...w=1280&bih=858

My only suggestion is to keep riding it and decide if it is a problem for you and your style closer to the end of your trial. I've had it in the past with various bikes and never found it to be much of a problem in practice. I don't think there is a solution if a bike has toe overlap except wearing really small shoes and shorter cranks. Also I might be talking out of my ass, but do you have the proper travel fork for your frame design? I feel like if you throw a 100 fork in a bike made for a 140 it'll affect how far out the wheel is.
    Last edited by Satanic Pizza; 04-29-2013 at 11:44 AM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    My fork was on backwards!!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cjeffcampbell View Post
    my fork was on backwards!!!
    lol!!

mtbr member
    Jun 2012

This might not be a solution for everybody, but I experienced a little toe overlap on my bike only when making very tight turns. I wear a size 12 shoe. Recently I switched from riding flats to riding clipped in and It totally eliminated the overlap issue.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Haha, that was going to be my first question

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Hilarious!

You realize, now, according to the unwritten rules of MTBR, you have to confine yourself to the beginners corner for at least a month? ;-)

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    ouch...but i did figure it out on my own when it was installed by the factory incorrectly (not me!). Got to be worth some cred for a noob

mtbr member
    May 2012

What kind of shop do you go to that is putting forks on backwards?

neeeds donation$ for bike
    Rotating it to the correct direction is the assemblers job. enjoy your new bike. also, be careful about which way the direction of the saddle is.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by singletrack-sam View Post
    What kind of shop do you go to that is putting forks on backwards?
    It was mail order so I'm wondering how they got it on backwards?

I have a feeling someone wasn't paying attention when they took it out of the box.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I talked to the Airborne guy (who was very helpful) and said they purposely put the stem on backwards for shipping reasons...and I wasn't the first to make this mistake. That said, there were no directions in the box...and it's not an expert bike ($1200) and I never claimed to be an expert...hmmm, maybe they could avoid this in the future, Ikea style

We're turned around and riding fine now...thanks!

FKA Malibu412
    LOLz. Yep, it's to make it more compact for shipping. Gutsy move going mail order bike when you previously did not recognize a backward fork.
    "I love the bike. It's my meditation. I think I'm bike-sexual." -Robin Williams

transmitter~receiver
    That said, there were no directions in the box...and it's not an expert bike ($1200) and I never claimed to be an expert...hmmm, maybe they could avoid this in the future, Ikea style
    You can't write instructions for everything, and if they tried to write bike assembly instructions for someone who can't recognize that the fork is backward, it would be > 2" thick of newsprint and they still wouldn't get it all.
    Not a dig, but maybe you should have someone knowledgeable look over the bike.
    Quote Originally Posted by pvd
    Time to stop believing the hype and start doing some science.
    29er Tire Weight Database

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Yep, headed to the shop for final touches before I push it. Airborne gives a 30-day guarantee, so worth the hassle/risk to me to get a better rig for the money. If companies can do it right, it could be a game changer for the industry in 3-5 years. Sucks for the local guy on the surface, but smart ones could adapt and play a roll in drop shipping...to put people's forks on the right way, for example.

FKA Malibu412
    If companies can do it right, it could be a game changer for the industry in 3-5 years. Sucks for the local guy on the surface, but smart ones could adapt and play a roll in drop shipping...to put people's forks on the right way, for example.
    Already happening. Has been for years.
    "I love the bike. It's my meditation. I think I'm bike-sexual." -Robin Williams

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Hey Jeff,atleast you never tried to hide it.Honesty is always the best approach.
    Got a good laugh non the less.

Enjoy your new ride

SSolo
    Apr 2008
    That was going to be my first suggestion lol. Glad you got it figured.
    Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life son...

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    They do that to get it to fit in the box, less materials, less cost with shipping. I can't think of any brand that ships bikes ready to go out of the box, they all require assembly by a mechanic. Good for you for hiring someone to do it right, shops are usually happy to build bikes but expect to spend $40-60, money well spent. A build usually includes... True wheels, torque everything to spec, dial in brakes/shifting, grease interfaces, adjust hubs, etc.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Yep, headed to the shop for final touches before I push it. Airborne gives a 30-day guarantee, so worth the hassle/risk to me to get a better rig for the money. If companies can do it right, it could be a game changer for the industry in 3-5 years. Sucks for the local guy on the surface, but smart ones could adapt and play a roll in drop shipping...to put people's forks on the right way, for example.
    That's what it means to buy a bike from a bike shop. Funny how that ended up coming full circle. Buying a bike from the shop has way more benefits than just getting a bike properly built.

You get; a properly fit bike, a working bike built by a professional, tips, tricks, and service advice, a warranty representative, the opportunity to try multiple bikes, easily return said purchase if needed etc..

All people who buy from the internet see is the bottom line. Cheaper price. Well you usually get what you pay for. For some, it worth it because they don't need the services that buying local provides. Then again, keep in mind that many people on this web site are bike shop employees and order stuff online and take it back to their shop to be assembled. Bikes need to be built out of the box. They aren't big toys in a big box ready to go.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    lol!!lol!!