mtbr member
    Jan 2006

Titanium Hardtail vs. aluminum (maybe carbon) dual suspension

My birthday is around the corner and it's a big one. The wife is asking me what I want and I want to upgrade my 29er. I've been riding a Motobecane SL Pro for three years and have enjoyed it. Bought it with the thought that I didn't want to spend too much money in case I don't like 29ers. Thinking about asking for a new frame and switch my gear over. I'm trying to decide between a ti hardtail or an aluminum dual suspension.

I ride mostly rooty singletrack in the mid atlantic. Every now and then I hit some pretty rocky sections, but nothing too technical. I like shorter travel bikes (100mm) and usual ride for 2-4 hours at a time. Looking to stay under $2k for a frame. Any thoughts suggestions? Thanks!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by oldfatslow View Post
    My birthday is around the corner and it's a big one. The wife is asking me what I want and I want to upgrade my 29er. I've been riding a Motobecane SL Pro for three years and have enjoyed it. Bought it with the thought that I didn't want to spend too much money in case I don't like 29ers. Thinking about asking for a new frame and switch my gear over. I'm trying to decide between a ti hardtail or an aluminum dual suspension.

I ride mostly rooty singletrack in the mid atlantic. Every now and then I hit some pretty rocky sections, but nothing too technical. I like shorter travel bikes (100mm) and usual ride for 2-4 hours at a time. Looking to stay under $2k for a frame. Any thoughts suggestions? Thanks!
    Either one would be a good choice. IMHO, it would depend on where you would do a majority of your riding. If mostly rooty singletrack, then I would lean towards the FS. But for versatility, I would go with the Ti hardtail. I like the Ti hardtail for when the trails are not ready to ride, I can hit the dirt/pave roads and still ride my mtb. And yet, it's still perfectly fine for most trail riding.

my 2
    Randy

neeeds donation$ for bike
    i have about the same kind of trails as you. Alot of hardtails around here. I say you to get a titanium hardtail. manufacture is another subject. I just ordered a ti ht this monday. cant wait to get it in.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Two options--
    BD frame+Reba for 1099.
    BikeIsland.com - Bicycle Parts, Accessories and Clothing at Affordable Prices with Free Shipping
    Lynskey MT29- frame for 1099.
    MT 29 - Hardtail 29ers - Bikes & Frames - Mountain - Lynskey Performance | Titanium Bicycles
    With the extra- Roval Control 29 carbon wheelset Dt star ratchet hub(20% off from lbs) 960.
    Specialized Bicycle Components
    Last edited by eb1888; 04-18-2013 at 01:05 PM.

MTB B'dos
    Really it's all down to you and what you personally prefer, if right now you have fun and enjoy riding a HT, then chances are you'll have just that bit more enjoyment with a nice Ti HT. If however you can't go over 2 or 3 hours because the Ht beats you up too much and you feel knackered if you do, then an FS might be just the answer. Me personally, if it were a "special" birthday, I'd go for the Ti HT, but I'd be looking for something along the lines of the newer, short stayed, slacker angled frames, ALA Yelli Screamy, Paradox, Honzo etc. The link eb1888 provided to for Lynskey is nice, but in this day and age there's no way I'm going to buy a frame that can't take a tapered fork, just limits your options so much and it's one of the biggest improvements IMHO to front end stiffness and steering precision to come along. If I went Lynskey I'd go for the Ridgeline SL or VF, but there's other makers out there, so do your due diligence and look around.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Titus Ti hard tail frame $700.oo
    Titus Titanium Fileline Evo 29er Frame
    Titus Frames

mtbr member
    If I were looking for a "next level" bike, I would be choosing between a carbon FS (or perhaps even a carbon HT, almost did that) or the Ti HT. It really comes down to what you really want. The HT is lighter, better power delivery, and can do most of what the FS can do pretty well. A FS will be faster DH and beat you up a little less. I just got done building a nice HT so maybe I'm leaning that way today. But before that my FSR 29er was my favorite. So I'd say get both.
    Have you ridden any decent 29 FS bikes? That might make or break the deal.
    Always funny how much thought we put into choosing our blingy new toy.

MTB B'dos
    Damn man, that just ain't fair, now I'm trying to figure out what I can sell to afford one of these From the description this is my ideal HT, in Ti which I've always wanted, only thing I haven't found confirmation on yet is max tyre width in the rear with mud clearance.
    Quote Originally Posted by threebikes View Post
    Titus Ti hard tail frame $700.oo
    Titus Titanium Fileline Evo 29er Frame
    Titus Frames
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Thanks for all of the feedback. My buddy has a top of the line fs carbon trek, but it is a size bigger than what I would get and that may give it slightly different handling characteristics. I'm leaning more towards a ti hard tail and I agree with getting one with a tapered head tube. If I go ti, one of the selling points is the longevity of ti and it would be a bike I would hope to be riding for a long time. I want to make sure it is upgradeable in the future and the tapered ht is important. Are there any other features I should make sure the frame has?

mtbr member
    There's a Black Sheep Ti Highlight frame and goodies in the MTBR classifieds.
    Great riding bikes!!
    If you're lucky enough to be in the mountains,
    you're lucky enough.

I like bikes
    If I were to buy a hard tail again, it would be ti. I think you can't go wrong. Please post up a pic of what you get.