mtbr member
    Oct 2010

Tire Size/Combinations?

Just curious what most of you are running for tires as far as sizing/tread. I've got a JET 9 build in work and tires are about the only thing left to decide on. I was thinking of going 1.95 rear, 2.2 front .... any opinions on that? Does the 2.2 really provide that much better traction (on off-cambers or turns), or would 1.95 front & rear be ideal for weight savings?

Also for any of you riding typical Midwest trails, what have you found to be the best tire/tread? I do very little wet/muddy riding with the vast majority of my rides involving hard-pack trails with plenty of off-camber, rocks/roots, and tight switchbacks. I'm hoping to find something that provides good traction and is reasonably durable without weighing too much?

I've got Specialized Armadillos on my hardtail, and while they are bullet proof, they are way to heavy and very stiff!

Thanks for any feedback!

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    LBS is a fan of Schwalbe, Hutchinson, and Bontrager tires ... any opinions on any of those?

mtbr member
    I have 1.9 and 2.1 Karmas on my hardtail for most any riding and for winter snow I swap out to 2.1 krests in the back and 2.3 wolverine up front.

For my RIP I have 2.25 ardent up front and 2.0 Hutch pyth in back. Loving the hutch in the back.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by mlk3454
    I have 1.9 and 2.1 Karmas on my hardtail for most any riding and for winter snow I swap out to 2.1 krests in the back and 2.3 wolverine up front.

For my RIP I have 2.25 ardent up front and 2.0 Hutch pyth in back. Loving the hutch in the back.
    Are you running tubeless on both?

Hike it or Bike it!
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by kfb66
    Also for any of you riding typical Midwest trails, what have you found to be the best tire/tread? I do very little wet/muddy riding with the vast majority of my rides involving hard-pack trails with plenty of off-camber, rocks/roots, and tight switchbacks. I'm hoping to find something that provides good traction and is reasonably durable without weighing too much?
    A few hundred threads on this forum worth searching if you have the time.

mtbr member
    I am not running tubeless in the karmas but am on the others. When I made the switch to tubeless not too long ago I didn't do well with the karmas but I chalk that up to lack of experience and not having UST rims for them to mount on to.

mtbr member
    As far as I'm concerned, I'll always ride the largest tires I can fit into my frame, taking frame and mud clearance into account. Weight is only part of the equation. Contrary to the popular conception, wider tires have less rolling resistance than the same but narrower tire.

Ronnie.
    The trouble with having an open mind is that people will insist on trying to put things in it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I appreciate the feedback. Below are a few tires the LBS recommends:

Bontrager 29.3 ... 2.25 F, 2.0 R
    http://bontrager.com/model/07943

Hutchinson Python ... 2.1 F/R
    http://www.hutchinsontires.com/en/ca...ivers=5&pid=94

Schwalbe Albert ... 2.1 F/R
    http://smtp.schwalbetires.com/bike_t...d_tires/albert