mtbr member
    Jul 2007

Tire / rim combination UST/ Tubeless with no tire sealant?

Hi folks,
    are there any tire / rim combinations available in the market, where you do not need to mess with any of the liquid tire sealant 8like from notubes.com, etc.), so basically "true UST"?

Or is this simply not possible/ available?

I am looking for a "install and forget" setup (besides the fact that I need to check on the air pressure and add some air after a couple of days/ weeks), but i don't want to mass around with any of the liquid tire sealant (liquid rubber, gum elastic, etc.) and the fact that you need to refill a bit every few weeks/ month.
    Another reason is to put in on my wife's bike and, well, it need to be easy in handling ;-)

So, input/ feedback and tire / rim combinations with as much as possible hassle are welcome ;-)

Thanks!

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by omega1848
    Hi folks,
    are there any tire / rim combinations available in the market, where you do not need to mess with any of the liquid tire sealant 8like from notubes.com, etc.), so basically "true UST"?

I am looking for a "install and forget" setup (besides the fact that I need to check on the air pressure and add some air after a couple of days/ weeks), but i don't want to mass around with any of the liquid tire sealant (liquid rubber, gum elastic, etc.) and the fact that you need to refill a bit every few weeks/ month.
    Another reason is to put in on my wife's bike and, well, it need to be easy in handling ;-)

So, input/ feedback and tire / rim combinations with as much as possible hassle are welcome ;-)

Thanks!
    I'm using NoTubes Flow rims with the yellow tape and valves, Maxxis LUST Ardent 2.25 and Maxxis LUST Crossmark tires with no sealant. Been running these since June with that set up. Tires should be for sale from Maxxis distributors starting next week or so. Related thread.

Crossmark UST

BB

Did I catch a niner?
    You don't actually need the sealant. It of course is very helpful if your tire is very pourous or there are a lot of flat inducing objects on your trails. The tire should air tight seal to the rim, my rear tire a Captain 2Bliss has no sealant in it and is on a flow.
    Mr. Krabs: Is it true, Squidward? Is it hilarious?
    https://www.dollarshaveclub.com/ref/...A0CC/s/tx/cx/1

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Anyone experiences with the NoTubes ZTR Flow 29?
    Possible to keep them air tight only with the Stans yellow tape and the right set of tires, without tire sealant...?

human dehumidifier
    Tubeless without sealant confuses me. If you run over a thorn and flat on the trail, you have to install a tube to get home, and then you either have to leave the tube in, patch the tire, or start using sealant. Seems to me if one is hell-bent on running tubeless, the sealant is a benefit because it seals the tire in case of a flat (usually anyway). Or, am I missing something?
    But if you close your eyes it becomes so easy to see

Its got what plants crave
    There are plenty of UST wheelsets (Easton Haven, Shimano, Crossmax, etc) but very few UST tires. There are several "tubeless ready" tires but you still need to run sealant in them.
    Ocala Mountain Bike Association - www.omba.org

mtbr member
    For a long time, while still on 26" bikes and using true UST tires and rims, I was reluctant to use sealant in my tires. However I got tired of having to check tire pressure on a daily basis. There is always a small bit of leakage between the rim and bead. I eventually decided to try a cup of sealant in my UST setup and found it solved the problem as well as provide protection against small punctures.

I believe my initial reluctance to use a sealant was due to a misconception that the sealant, being latex was sticky. I have only used Stans no-tubes. It is absolutely not sticky and is water based. It is very easily flushed away with plain water. It is also very easy to use. I usually mount the tire normally without the sealant and inflate it. I then pop a few inches of the tire off the rim, put a scoop of sealant in, replace the bead, inflate and done. If you use a valve stem with a removable valve, you can add the sealant through the stem without removing the tire.

When I changed to a 29" this January, I was going through the same quandary. I really wanted a UST rim but there aren't any. (There are a few wheel sets but more for racing.) There are a few UST tires but not many. There are however quite a few TLR (tubeless ready) tires. They have a thinner sidewall than a UST and most of them require a sealant to retain air. A TLR tire has the same locking bead as a UST tire.

I decided after much deliberation to get a set of Flow rims with No-tubes yellow tape and TLR tires. They inflate as easily as UST setups, with only a floor pump.

Ronnie.
    The trouble with having an open mind is that people will insist on trying to put things in it.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by omega1848
    Hi folks,

Thanks!
    Bonty TLR rims (Duster/Rhythm, Race Lite), Easton Haven, Shimano XT wheels, are UST compatible.

Some Bonty TLR tires do not need sealant. I use Mud X, 29-3 (rear) and FR3 dry. May be able to do the same with Geax TnT tires. Maxxis has new full UST models.

The Bonty rims and tires seat and inflate with a floor pump. The Duster/Rhythm rims are very easy to tires off and on.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by wv_bob
    Tubeless without sealant confuses me. If you run over a thorn and flat on the trail, you have to install a tube to get home, and then you either have to leave the tube in, patch the tire, or start using sealant. Seems to me if one is hell-bent on running tubeless, the sealant is a benefit because it seals the tire in case of a flat (usually anyway). Or, am I missing something?
    I'm with you on that and no, you're not missing something. In fact, with the Maxxis LUST prototypes I'm running on my Flows I mounted them up without sealant expecting to hit a thorn (like I do on all my non-tubeless tires that I have converted) that would give me a flat and I was then going to add sealant. That's what I said back in June when I mounted them up on my Flows. Well, here it is nearly November and I've maybe topped the air off 3 or 4 times since June (maybe not even that often).

Trust me - I've tried to get a flat. I'm bashing through serious thorn territory where I usually get flats on my other tires, but all to no avail. I have not been able to flat the Maxxis LUST tires. I'm guessing the weight penalty of tires that are 835 - 900g have enough rubber in the right areas to prevent me from taking a thorn. Until I do - I remain sealant free with these tires. Pretty actually...

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by wv_bob
    I have never had a dry UST/TLR tire go flat on the trail because of a thorn or similar puncture. I have had the tire go down several days later and found thorns in the casing. Leave the thorn in during the ride (as if you would even know it is there) and it holds pressure.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Its got what plants crave
    I've flatted a few UST tires. Several due to snake bites from big hits on rocks due to poor line choice. Only one due to thorns/glass, but it probably would have torn the piss out of a standard tiire with a thinner casing.
    Ocala Mountain Bike Association - www.omba.org

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Any other combinations you can recommend?