mtbr member

tire to replace Rampage?

Been a few years since I've had a new tire and need some new ones. Currently use a Panaracer Rampage 29x2.35 which I've liked. What's the latest best alternative? 5" full suspension on mostly Rocky Mountain dirt and rock if that helps. Can go a touch wider without rubbing.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Probably the Maxxis Ardent in 2.4. I have one in hand for when my Rampage wears out, it is close. Loved the Rampage as a front tire though, hard to beat and set-up great tubeless great, but I found a good deal on a Ardent, so I'll give it a go.

MTB B'dos
    If you're accustomed to the Rampage I wouldn't go looking at the Ardent, no transition knobs to speak of, could be the start of a very not nice learning curve, I stick to something similar like a Nobby Nic, Mtn King2, Purgatory or just stick with the Rampage. If you want more grip you could try the Hans Dampf.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My MTB vids

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    If you're accustomed to the Rampage I wouldn't go looking at the Ardent, no transition knobs to speak of
    Perhaps for the 2,25" Ardent - but definitely not for the 2,4". Of course if one is afraid to push his bike into the corners the Ardent is the wrong tire for him. But if you do so you will have much fun with this tire. Less transition knobs are not a bug but a feature!