mtbr member
    Mar 2017

Time for a new bike?

I'm stuck here.
    In 2015 I bought a 2014 felt nine 80, which I've ridden and upgraded quite a bit. Got a raidon air fork on it, zee crankset with a race face NW ring (running a ghetto 1x8), wider race face bar, race face 2-bolt clamp seat post, lower angled bar stem, shimano hydraulic brakes and did the tubeless conversion on the OEM rims.

I've stopped changing out parts and thought that I'd eventually just change frames, but I'm not sure if that'll be worth it considering my bike has a straight headtube and if I get a newer frame it would probably have a tapered one which would imply getting a new fork.

If my budget was between $1000 and $1300 what would you recommend? Or should I just continue to improve my bike by getting a 1x11 drivetrain with a clutch rd? Is having a straight headtube that disadvantaging?

Thank you in advance.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    It's a disadvantage from the point of not being able to use any new fork designs. Or it's an advantage in saving money because you can't buy new forks.

Riding rigid
    Mar 2007
    A tapered head tube or a straight 44 head tube can still use your old fork. You might need a new headset that has a reducer lower race. Cane creek headsets have a lower race option that has its outer diameter for taper HT but inner diameter to fit you 1 1/8 steerer tube

WillWorkForTrail
    Tough question because you've been doing work to it, so it's not all horrible, but it could certainly use some help. The reality is, you get a nice wheelset and a 1x11 and you can end up with $800-$1000 in just that. Then you'll still have a wheelset that's two generations behind the "current standard" in the industry, so ultimately, if, as someone pointed out, you bought a new, better frame with a tapered head tube, even though you can use the straight steer for in that frame, you'd probably have to do something with wheels anyhow. By the same token, if you spend $1400 on a new bike (Giant Fathom 29 is what came to mind here) you're still not getting a boost hub or different fork. What kind of riding do you do? Are you racing the bike, or just trail riding and goofing around? Maybe there's something out there in your price range that uses new technologies and comes with components better than what you have. Otherwise, my advice would be find something you really DO like, sort out how much it's going to cost you, and ride what you have until spending the money for what you want is realistic.

MTB B'dos
    Don't spend any more money on that bike, ride it as is or buy new. If you want something trail, then some nice bikes in your price range include the Diamondback Mason/Mason Trail or Sync'R , Raleigh Tokul3, Kona Honzo or Big Honzo, Trek Stache5, Salsa Timberjack GX1 or NX1.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

mtbr member
    I'd get something with current standards. That way you'll be good to go for at least 4-6 months until the new bike become obsolete.
    Kona Big Unit SS
    Kona Private Jake SSCX
    DiamondBack Release 3

mtbr member
    Seriously though...I'd convert the old bike to a single speed for fun and look at something current. I'd not throw anymore money at the old bike otherwise. Like LyNx suggested...there's a handful of decent bikes to be had for the price range you've given.
    Kona Big Unit SS
    Kona Private Jake SSCX
    DiamondBack Release 3

mtbr member
    id save up some more money (ride what you have until then) an get this with 29" wheels. things awesome. i just demoed it in Santa Cruz, sucker just LOVES to go fast. its built super nice too. you can find cheaper bikes, but damn its nice. im saving up to get one

https://www.santacruzbicycles.com/en-US/chameleon

heres a good vid review

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjaMLm8qes0

meatier showers
    OP. def kick Cotharyus and LyNx some +rep for their helpful contributions to your thread.
    I've got nothin' to add to those guys' wisdom.
    =sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.