Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Moots. It seems a Ti handlebar is hard to make. My LBS took care of the whole thing.

I was more bummed about the 20+ miles of single track that I bailed on than anything else.

Rider and Wrench
    I have an old set of White Bros Ti risers, which are pretty neat, not too flexy but do offer a bit more damping than aluminum for sure.. but they are pretty darn heavy kinda overkill really. I also tried a set of 2nd hand Seven bars for my steel rigid bike to see if it might be a nice addition to the steel and squishy tires... ~15 deg bend 27" wide- 22.2 mm with a shim- they were so ridiculously flexy it was actually frightening. One of the reasons I like my rigid bike is how precise the steering feels, I was not looking for super flexy or suspension just a bit of damping. I went back to Carbon Easton's and now the Flat 685 Easton's They work great and were ~$99

The only thing I learned is IF I ever do decide to get bars or a frame made of ti... it will be custom, made for my size and ride style.
    I Just wish I could ride more!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bdombrow
    The only handle bar I have ever broken has been a Ti handlebar. I switched to carbon. On the plus side, the Ti bar had a uniform outside diameter and allowed me to slide it over to ride home.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bdombrowski/911076243/
    The only handle bar I have ever broken has been a carbon handlebar. I switched to titanium. On the plus side, the carbon bar had a uniform inside diameter and allowed me to put a stick inside to ride home (slowly).

I just don't trust carbon stuff on mountain bikes. I don't know about the rest of you, but I crash every couple of rides, and would have to replace carbon parts way too often.

Mark

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by netanimic
    This is the best:
    Damit they are hard enough to get without telling the whole world!

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by jfkbike2
    Damit they are hard enough to get without telling the whole world!

Indeed! Now it will take forever to get a second one.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Any new thoughts on Ti bars, and who is making good ones/

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I think if I was going to full rigid like the black sheep/jones route I would consider it. But if you have a squishy fork or full squishy bike I would take the light weight of carbon or the low cost of alum. That's not to say they aren't good.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Canyon93108 View Post
    Any new thoughts on Ti bars, and who is making good ones/
    Carver makes a 710mm flat bar, that fits 31.8 stems without a shim. It's $99, which is pretty cheap compared to a Moots etc. I was tossing the idea of getting a Ti bar to match my Ti bike, but I ultimately went carbon because it's lighter. I was very close to pulling the trigger on the Carver bar though.

Dissolved member
    Quote Originally Posted by allthatisman View Post
    Carver makes a 710mm flat bar, that fits 31.8 stems without a shim. It's $99, which is pretty cheap compared to a Moots etc. I was tossing the idea of getting a Ti bar to match my Ti bike, but I ultimately went carbon because it's lighter. I was very close to pulling the trigger on the Carver bar though.
    I bought their PryBar from bikeman a few weeks ago: 730mm flat bar, 9deg sweep, 31.8 stem, around 220g IIRC. So far so good, no noticeable flex to speak of.

Apologies for a picture of a 650b bike.

metrotuned WoS
    holymoly the syntace 12 degree is a wonderful improvement over the enve sweep bars from prior setup - your mileage may vary - as i learned how to ride how mileage with a Naked style bar which has 20+ degrees.
    #willofthesun and author of the most viewed MTBR thread: Platform Pedal Shootout

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by StiHacka View Post
    I bought their PryBar from bikeman a few weeks ago: 730mm flat bar, 9deg sweep, 31.8 stem, around 220g IIRC. So far so good, no noticeable flex to speak of.

Apologies for a picture of a 650b bike.
    So does the bar feel better than an aluminum bar, or carbon? Is it comparable to carbon? It sure looks good, is certainly wide, and much cheaper than the Thomson offering.

Keep on Rockin...
    Resurrecting this thread...

For riding rigid, a bar with some flex is great. Currently running a Spec carbon bar and the thing flexes a lot, but in a good way. But the bike takes a real beating between travel and riding. I camp with, and canoe the bike around. Scrapes and gouges are common.

Looking at going custom Ti made to be a little flexy.

I've got an email into Moots and Seven. For something I'll use for a long time, I don't mind paying a few extra bucks as long as I get a good fit.

mtbr member
    I have two Seven wide Ti bars I have been riding for 5+ years. I remember that the price was right for a custom bar. I highly recommend.

Rider and Wrench
    Groovy Luv handles in ti...
    I Just wish I could ride more!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3