• 02-07-2011
    bdombrow
    Moots. It seems a Ti handlebar is hard to make. My LBS took care of the whole thing.

I was more bummed about the 20+ miles of single track that I bailed on than anything else.
  • 02-07-2011
    knottshore
    I have an old set of White Bros Ti risers, which are pretty neat, not too flexy but do offer a bit more damping than aluminum for sure.. but they are pretty darn heavy kinda overkill really. I also tried a set of 2nd hand Seven bars for my steel rigid bike to see if it might be a nice addition to the steel and squishy tires... ~15 deg bend 27" wide- 22.2 mm with a shim- they were so ridiculously flexy it was actually frightening. One of the reasons I like my rigid bike is how precise the steering feels, I was not looking for super flexy or suspension just a bit of damping. I went back to Carbon Easton's and now the Flat 685 Easton's They work great and were ~$99

The only thing I learned is IF I ever do decide to get bars or a frame made of ti... it will be custom, made for my size and ride style.
  • 02-08-2011
    bikeny
    Quote:

Originally Posted by bdombrow
    The only handle bar I have ever broken has been a Ti handlebar. I switched to carbon. On the plus side, the Ti bar had a uniform outside diameter and allowed me to slide it over to ride home.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bdombrowski/911076243/

The only handle bar I have ever broken has been a carbon handlebar. I switched to titanium. On the plus side, the carbon bar had a uniform inside diameter and allowed me to put a stick inside to ride home (slowly).

I just don't trust carbon stuff on mountain bikes. I don't know about the rest of you, but I crash every couple of rides, and would have to replace carbon parts way too often.

Mark
  • 02-08-2011
    jfkbike2
    Quote:

Originally Posted by netanimic
    This is the best:

Damit they are hard enough to get without telling the whole world! ;)
  • 02-08-2011
    patk
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jfkbike2
    Damit they are hard enough to get without telling the whole world! ;)

Indeed! Now it will take forever to get a second one. :D
  • 11-26-2012
    Canyon93108
    Any new thoughts on Ti bars, and who is making good ones/
  • 11-27-2012
    CHSAD
    I think if I was going to full rigid like the black sheep/jones route I would consider it. But if you have a squishy fork or full squishy bike I would take the light weight of carbon or the low cost of alum. That's not to say they aren't good.
  • 11-27-2012
    allthatisman
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Canyon93108 View Post
    Any new thoughts on Ti bars, and who is making good ones/

Carver makes a 710mm flat bar, that fits 31.8 stems without a shim. It's $99, which is pretty cheap compared to a Moots etc. I was tossing the idea of getting a Ti bar to match my Ti bike, but I ultimately went carbon because it's lighter. I was very close to pulling the trigger on the Carver bar though.
  • 12-18-2012
    StiHacka
    Quote:

Originally Posted by allthatisman View Post
    Carver makes a 710mm flat bar, that fits 31.8 stems without a shim. It's $99, which is pretty cheap compared to a Moots etc. I was tossing the idea of getting a Ti bar to match my Ti bike, but I ultimately went carbon because it's lighter. I was very close to pulling the trigger on the Carver bar though.

I bought their PryBar from bikeman a few weeks ago: 730mm flat bar, 9deg sweep, 31.8 stem, around 220g IIRC. So far so good, no noticeable flex to speak of.

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-q...207_075228.jpg
    Apologies for a picture of a 650b bike. :rolleyes:
  • 12-19-2012
    metrotuned
    holymoly the syntace 12 degree is a wonderful improvement over the enve sweep bars from prior setup - your mileage may vary - as i learned how to ride how mileage with a Naked style bar which has 20+ degrees.
  • 01-10-2013
    allthatisman
    Quote:

Originally Posted by StiHacka View Post
    I bought their PryBar from bikeman a few weeks ago: 730mm flat bar, 9deg sweep, 31.8 stem, around 220g IIRC. So far so good, no noticeable flex to speak of.

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-q...207_075228.jpg
    Apologies for a picture of a 650b bike. :rolleyes:

So does the bar feel better than an aluminum bar, or carbon? Is it comparable to carbon? It sure looks good, is certainly wide, and much cheaper than the Thomson offering.
  • 07-04-2014
    Miker J
    Resurrecting this thread...

For riding rigid, a bar with some flex is great. Currently running a Spec carbon bar and the thing flexes a lot, but in a good way. But the bike takes a real beating between travel and riding. I camp with, and canoe the bike around. Scrapes and gouges are common.

Looking at going custom Ti made to be a little flexy.

I've got an email into Moots and Seven. For something I'll use for a long time, I don't mind paying a few extra bucks as long as I get a good fit.
  • 07-04-2014
    bigdrunk
    I have two Seven wide Ti bars I have been riding for 5+ years. I remember that the price was right for a custom bar. I highly recommend.
  • 07-04-2014
    knottshore
    Groovy Luv handles in ti...