Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Category Winner

Ti Flat Tracker info????

Got these off Ebay awhile back. Any ideas what the sweep is on these puppies?
    I am still fiddling with my cockpit, and would love to know what numbers I'm working with.
    The seller still has two sets for sale on ebay (along with some crazy ti scuba knives).
    Attached Images Attached Images
    WWW.TEAMDICKY.COM

I get paid 3¢ every time I post on MTBR.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Nine Degrees of sweep on those babies.....I love em.

And He was Not
    Were those the same bars I was flexing on the other night?

I'm a small guy and I was deflecting them around 10mm's.

Dickey's eyes were big as saucers when I did it.
    The Truth is out there. Here it isThe TRUTH

mtbr member
    Be careful, I witnessed a friend snap a similar Titec bar at the stem. It made a big impression on me.

And He was Not
    Quote Originally Posted by Schultz29
    Be careful, I witnessed a friend snap a similar Titec bar at the stem. It made a big impression on me.
    Oh Man TD's going to be flippin out when he reads that.

Those things flexed like a Sibex fork.
    The Truth is out there. Here it isThe TRUTH

Category Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by Enoch
    Oh Man TD's going to be flippin out when he reads that.

Those things flexed like a Sibex fork.
    Those were the Seven bars you were flexing.

The shim it came with was not as wide as my Thomson stem, so I am using a much wider one. Seems like the stock shim woulda caused some bad stress thingies.
    WWW.TEAMDICKY.COM

Witty McWitterson
    I bought one of them about a year back from the same seller. I weigh 225 and find them verrry comfortable. 9 degree bend, true dat.

I've also got a set of Hellions that I love dearly. Also a 9 bend. And you can pry them from my cold, dead hands too.

schultz, lemme guess, the bar your 'friend' snapped was a 118, the stupid light bar. The FlatTracker isn't an uberlight Ti bar, but still light gauge enough to provide a very compliant ride.
    Just a regular guy.

mtbr member
    I'm eyeing off the Salsa 11 degree'rs as my next 29er bar.

Yeah yeah, I know they're carbon, but I've never had carbon issues, mostly because I'm too slow and p¡ssweak. No wait, I'm too smoove and have mad skillz, yeah, that's it.
    No longer member of the bike industry nor society, so don't hassle me.

Where's Toto?
    I've never had problems with carbon bars. Carbon seatposts - yes. They break under my bouncing buttocks. Bars - no problems. Contrary to popular reports, the carbon posts I've had go sourth, kinda folded and didn't snap as has often been reported. Just a nice slow and quiet folding action with plenty of warning.

BTW - - I'm on some Salsa bars now, though the shallower bend. Sweet bars. No issues. I'd buy again in a heartbeat.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Thylacine
    I'm eyeing off the Salsa 11 degree'rs as my next 29er bar.

Yeah yeah, I know they're carbon, but I've never had carbon issues, mostly because I'm too slow and p¡ssweak. No wait, I'm too smoove and have mad skillz, yeah, that's it.
    For me personally the only material choice for a handlebar is aluminum. I have broken an Easton Monkey Lite and as I previously noted my friend broke his Titec ti. Typically I've had excellent performance from titanium parts and I'm not sure which Titec bar my friend had.

Recently I picked up a Salsa Pro Moto aluminum handlebar with an 11 degree sweep. Thus far I'm very pleasd with it. The sweep is very comfortable and the bar is very wide. I cut off about an inch and it's still 27 inches wide.

mtbr member
    syntace is making carbon risers with 12 degrees both in 25.4 and 31.8 but maybe you're looking for flatbars only

Most Delicious
    Ti Trackers are 11 degrees. They were made with the same butt profile as the Hellions. The Hellions are 9 degree backsweep and 5 degree upsweep when the "riser" portion is aligned to point straight up when viewed from the side. However, if you do the math, you'll see that the back and up sweep combine to make 11 degrees of total sweep.

Category Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by dr.welby
    Ti Trackers are 11 degrees.
    I'd believe that. They seem to have more sweep than my Seven bars which are 8 degrees.
    I'm not totally set on my cockpit, but I just mounted the bars with a 60mm Syntace stem, and they feel darn good.
    WWW.TEAMDICKY.COM

fnInt(1/x^2,x,0,1)
    I ride these bars on my SS, got them off Fleabay too; they rock. Really make aluminum feel like a road construction pneumatic hammer drill...

Edit - sorry for the multi-posts.
    Last edited by fleanutz; 10-02-2007 at 01:53 PM.

fnInt(1/x^2,x,0,1)
    deleted
    Last edited by fleanutz; 10-02-2007 at 01:53 PM.

fnInt(1/x^2,x,0,1)
    deleted
    Last edited by fleanutz; 10-02-2007 at 01:52 PM.

fnInt(1/x^2,x,0,1)
    deleted
    Last edited by fleanutz; 10-02-2007 at 01:52 PM.

tl1
    Bicyclist

You can...

Quote Originally Posted by fleanutz
    I ride these bars on my SS, got them off Fleabay too; they rock. Really make aluminum feel like a road construction pneumatic hammer drill...
    ..say that again!

Five is right out
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Schultz29

Uh, is that a Koala on the headtube?!?

Jackbooted Elitist Hipstr

The Real Deal?

Mine showed up last week and they seem pretty nice, but a couple of things made me wonder if they're really Titec. The logos were all crooked, but I removed em anyway, and the only plugs that I could get to stay in them were from some road bar tape. The wall thickness seems awfully thin. Not that Titec is the paragon of tight manufacturing tolerances, I just wonder if these are cheap knockoffs.

Maybe I'm just paranoid after finding that my ridiculously expensive Jones Bars are toast and now making awkward looking wall art.
    Dirtbag since '89

Category Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by Singletrack Pig
    Mine showed up last week and they seem pretty nice, but a couple of things made me wonder if they're really Titec. The logos were all crooked, but I removed em anyway, and the only plugs that I could get to stay in them were from some road bar tape. The wall thickness seems awfully thin. Not that Titec is the paragon of tight manufacturing tolerances, I just wonder if these are cheap knockoffs.
    I've been wondering if this guy gets his supply from a ti manufacturer who made them for Titec, and they had some old stock laying around. He seems to have some weird ti stuff for sale from time to time.
    I bought some Schwalbe road tires from someone who got them out the back door of the factory once.
    I trust the bars, and I hear you on the bar plugs. Odd. My Seven ti bars take plugs quite nicely.
    Haven't figured out which bars are staying on the bike yet. Long story there.
    WWW.TEAMDICKY.COM

Jackbooted Elitist Hipstr

Wanna buy some H Bars?

"Haven't figured out which bars are staying on the bike yet. Long story there."

Are there any bike setup stories of yours that aren't long?

I'll make you a great deal on some "slightly failed" H Bars.

Glad to hear you trust the Flat Trackers- the sweep feels like a good compromise.
    Dirtbag since '89

Category Winner

Glad to hear you trust the Flat Trackers- the sweep feels like a good compromise.
    They'll probably be off tonight anyhoo.
    More experimenting to do.
    WWW.TEAMDICKY.COM

try driving your car less
    I am sort of in the same boat.
    I have some Seven ti bars, about 24" wide. 8 deg sweep.
    I got some of those same Titec bars, a smidge wider at about 24.5"
    I bought them because I really like my Cane Creek Ergo bar ends, but wanted to keep my hands 24" wide.
    The Titec bars have more sweep for sure. i can really tell that difference when i am out on the bar ends.

I also wondered about the authenticity and quality of these inexpensive bars.

If anyone reported a failure with these bars, I would swap them out immediately.

THey are a bit porkier than the seven bars. I should just slap some Seven stickers on there for some peace of mind!
    Only boring people get bored.

Most Delicious
    If they're thin on the ends and are close to the specified weight (don't remember off the top of my head) then they probably are Titec bars. Which really means they are the 640mm titanium butted handlebar drawn over tooling paid for by Titec from the Xian titanium mill in central China.

The logos were often crooked on those bars. Whoever in China was printing the logos on the Hellions and Ti-Trackers wasn't very good at it. On the other Titec ti bars the logos were actually done in California and they came out much better.

If they are the real deal, then you are probably buying greymarket leftovers from an OEM or from the factory, or maybe "samples" that were requested by a trading agent. It's not uncommon.

But the ends should be thin. The bars are butted internally and are much thicker in the center where it counts.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast