Thread: Ti 29er candy

mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Ti 29er candy

BikesDirect shipped my bike a few weeks ago. I've been slowly assembling parts. Been pretty busy with other things. The bike is almost ready to ride, just awaiting the seatpost which arrived in the wrong size. As spec'd, this is an XC bike. In my case, I'll be using it for gravel, hard pack, fire roads and pave in place roads. The tires are Schwalbe Marathon Supreme (they are wicked @ 29x2.0), the rest is basically Bontrager carbon fiber bits for seatpost, stem, handlebars, Ergon GR2 Carbon fiber grips. The bike comes spec'd with 3AL/2.5V titanium butted frame (the welds are artwork), Rockshox Reba Race fork, FSA Afterburner crank with hollow forged arms and external MegaExo bearings, FSA headset, hand built Vuelta wheels, all Shimano XTR, and Avid Elixir CF brakes. There is about $2,200 into the bike. Not bad. Don't have a weight yet, but figure at 19" it is probably 24lbs.

Filippo
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fmorelli
    The bike comes spec'd with 3AL/2.5V titanium butted frame (the welds are artwork)
    Filippo
    Looks flexy

i heart singletrack
    (the welds are artwork)

Filippo
    a picture showing one of these "artistic" welds would be nice...
    I like bikes

In FTF We Trust
    Well, aren't we a bunch of negative nellies? As much of a bike whore as I am, I considered buying one of these but luckily for me they're all sold out; sounds like until this fall.
    "I'll disintegrate over time if I expect my body to try to keep up with my mind" -BM

Race, Rocks or Road...Just Ride

i heart singletrack
    Quote Originally Posted by el-cid
    Well, aren't we a bunch of negative nellies? As much of a bike whore as I am, I considered buying one of these but luckily for me they're all sold out; sounds like until this fall.
    sorry, didn't mean to sound negative... just kind of found it humorous that he went out of his way to mention the welds then seemed to go out of his way not to show any welds in the photos. that's usually one of the best parts of any ti frame -- the svelte, smooth welds.
    I like bikes

What's "social pace?"
    May 2008
    Congrats on the new bike!

I think those brake levers need to be rotated down quite a bit. That can't be a comfortable angle (unless you don't use brakes).

Oh and what are Vuelta wheels?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mgersib
    a picture showing one of these "artistic" welds would be nice...
    Bikesdirect has a gallery. 26r Fly had better pictures.

You would not confuse it with Moots, but it is quite functional. I have carefully inspected my 26r and could not find anything to complain about.

Quote Originally Posted by dinoadventures
    Oh and what are Vuelta wheels?
    Some bikesdirect housebrand. Their top line so far had been proven fairly reliable both in my experience (I have expected to replace them, but did not) and from reviews. You can buy them directly from their affiliate or on Ebay. There are two "Vueltas" though.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by single~minded
    I got to see this.....if so....then it is such a noodle
    I like how people here make assumptions without ever touching a bike.

OP - take the stickers off the rims. They weight like several grams. Stock spoke tape replaced with some yellow/strapping tape is another 20g or so.

mtbr member
    Well just so there is an understanding......I owned a Ti 9'r, 2 scandium 9'rs (still have one) and also have a Superfly....so.....

Guess I have touched a bike
    I understand your attempt at humoring my use of articles, but I guess it was obvious that I have referred to opinions about the bike discussed in this thread. I bet you are much worse at my native language that I am at English.

Mtbr Forum Sponsor
    Weight:
    "The Gary Fisher Super Fly weighs 24lbs. The FLY Team 29er Ti weighs less than 24 lbs (*size small/15.5" no pedals/reflectors).

I got to see this.....if so....then it is such a noodle
    Weights on Fly Team 29er Ti have been running 23 to 23.8 lbs
    Most I have weighed are right at 23.5lb

In comparison, the Fly Team Ti {26"} weighes 19.5 lbs {my wife and many others race this bike XC and find it quick, comfortable, and responsive}

We are out to break assumptions with the Ti bikes {mountain, road, and cross}
    One assumption we are out to kill is "you can only get a well made high spec Ti bike for $4000 to $5000"

Another is that "that light weight Ti bikes are noodles"
    There have been hundreds of customers and lots of magazine testers who have had a chance to comment that Motobecane Ti bikes are 'flexy' -- But we do not find that in reviews by customers or magazines, many comment the frames are very comfortable without being overly flexiable.

Of course, ride is a matter of taste, and your results may vary

So far, I am very happy with the Feedback on all 7 of our Ti models

Mtbr Forum Sponsor

So how's this......."I bet they are comfortable"
    And you are correct, sir.

Thanks

In FTF We Trust
    Quote Originally Posted by bikesdirect
    ...Thanks
    Mike, exactly when are more of the complete bikes going to be back in stock and how does one go about getting in on a "pre-order" list? Just curious, of course...
    "I'll disintegrate over time if I expect my body to try to keep up with my mind" -BM

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Plenty of frame photos at the web site for bikesdirect. They look identical to my bike. http://motobecane.com/bikeradar/ti29_gallery/.

The wheels are a house brand. Mike has told us that the best wheel builder in Taiwan puts them together. Mine are straight as an arrow out of the box. We'll see how they hold up, but most folks with these wheels already have had nothing but good news. They are hand built, individually numbered, flat spoked, et cetera.

I was just looking to post a few photos of my bike as it was coming together. I'm excited to get a ride, hopefully later this week. Not sure why my post drags up the naysayers. Must be in the forum water ...

Filippo

mtbr member
    Does anyone know if it is possible to buy one of these frames and where I might find the geometry/sizing chart?

Thanks

Mtbr Forum Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by el-cid
    Mike, exactly when are more of the complete bikes going to be back in stock and how does one go about getting in on a "pre-order" list? Just curious, of course...

Our next full order of Fly Team 29er Ti is coming in late October or early Nov
    And we will start a pre-book as soon as we get a better idea of exact shipping date

Lots of customers get on the newsletter; so that they get up-dates on what is coming in
    {we dop not send out spam to previous customers, so we have gone with a newletter people can sign up for - here is link http://www.bikesdirect.com/deals/

Also, we are going to start pre-book on framesets; as we had lots of requests for those
    Per-book price on Fly Team Ti {26 or 29} with Fork & headset will be $995 {le Champion Team Ti frameset w/ fork&headset is be $895} -- I know these will be the best deals ever offered on Ti framesets; I really want lots of people to get a chance to see the workmanship on these Ti frames

Thanks for your question

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    BTW, what is it with the Titanium bike circle jerk that insists on referring to every weld as resembling sex, or some other such cliche. Wow, your bike has been welded, congratulations! I am yet to ride a titanium bike that doesn't feel flexible. What is the moral of the story? Nice welds, horrible bike! Also, what is up with referring to Titanium is 'TI' Do you refer to your steel bike as 'my Fe bike', or your sunglasses as 'my SiO2es'.

Mtbr Forum Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by MagicCarpet
    Does anyone know if it is possible to buy one of these frames and where I might find the geometry/sizing chart?

Thanks
    Framesets with Frame/headeset/fork will be coming in during the Fall
    Pre-book will start soon - probably by July 25th
    With price at $995 delivered
    I completely beleive this Ti frameset compares well to frames sold for $2000 for frame alone - since the frame comes with a RS Reba; it is a steal {but please do not think this is due to low quality; it is truely due to my desire to get lots of people on these Moto Ti frames. For me, it is not enough that Magazines are calling the framework 'stunning' - I want lots of customers in everystate showing these Ti bikes & frames off}

I think geo is all on BD site

thanks for your interest

Mtbr Forum Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by C Dunlop
    BTW, what is it with the Titanium bike circle jerk that insists on referring to every weld as resembling sex, or some other such cliche. Wow, your bike has been welded, congratulations! I am yet to ride a titanium bike that doesn't feel flexible. What is the moral of the story? Nice welds, horrible bike! Also, what is up with referring to Titanium is 'TI' Do you refer to your steel bike as 'my Fe bike', or your sunglasses as 'my SiO2es'.

We have 4 major materials to work with; as you know
    Ti is by far the most expensive of these
    But each has it's place
    On the new Moto site [coming out in September] we are going to try to show why we use all 4 - and where we think each makes sense.

Many have their favorite; I like all 4 when done well; right now we sell by far the most units in Aluminum and Steel. That will probably not change; due to price points. But growth of sales in Ti is really good as many people have an interest in this really great frame material.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I'm not exactly a Bikesdirect fan but I do think the company seems to have a good reputation, at least with it's high end product. I have yet to find anyone on any of the forums who has said I spent $2,000 on a bikesdirect bicycle and it sucked. Unfortunately I can't say the same for their cheaper stuff but the expensive seems to work very well by at least if you judge quality as the number of complaints by actual owners.

mtbr member
    I note the tube angles are a little more relaxed than most other brands. How are new owners finding this? Noticeable? Good or bad?

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    I don't think bikesdirect is any different than other companies who source their frames from Taiwan. I have yet to see a bad titanium weld, I think it's in the nature of the metal. I think some people hate them because they are the distributor as well as the "manufacturer". They also have a few different company names that are really just made up to make it look like they have variety on their site. That is what I don't like. I wish they would adopt one company name and go with that, it would be easier to stand behind their products without feeling like they are trying to deceive the consumer. Sure there are companies operating with multiple brands but not all out of the same building with the same staff...

I'm sure the frame is comparable to other TI frames from Asia. It's not in their best interest to put out a crappy frame and with bike parts being as overpriced as they are there is plenty of room for them to sell the frames for cheap while still making a profit.

Mtbr Forum Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by eastspur
    I don't think bikesdirect is any different than other companies who source their frames from Taiwan. I have yet to see a bad titanium weld, I think it's in the nature of the metal. I think some people hate them because they are the distributor as well as the "manufacturer". They also have a few different company names that are really just made up to make it look like they have variety on their site. That is what I don't like. I wish they would adopt one company name and go with that, it would be easier to stand behind their products without feeling like they are trying to deceive the consumer. Sure there are companies operating with multiple brands but not all out of the same building with the same staff...

I'm sure the frame is comparable to other TI frames from Asia. It's not in their best interest to put out a crappy frame and with bike parts being as overpriced as they are there is plenty of room for them to sell the frames for cheap while still making a profit.

Thank you for your understanding of sourcing frames & bikes from Taiwan. And you are correct, there are some who do not like the consumer direct distribution model. However, you are a little off on the brand names being all alike. There are dozens of examples of big differences from model to model; brand to brand. Good example Windsor AL 29er are nothing like Moto AL 29ers.

And there are other companies running the same brands out of the same buildings with the same staff. This is rather common in the industry, Trek, Raleigh, Schwinn, QBP, Fuji, -- the list includes many many operations. Think of it, Fuji could make all Kestrels, SE, and breezers under the Fuji label - but would that really be better? Schwinn, GT, Mongoose, Cannondale could all be under one label, but I do not think that would make things better. There are customers who just like certain designs and also those that like certain brand names.

We have right now 10 SS/FG models, and we are adding at least 6 that I can think of right now. I could not see all 16 of these under one name.

Varity is the spice of life
    and I like choices

Life is Go0d!
    Just recently, I witnessed a fellow on a Walmart bike ride up an insanely steep climb, with flat pedals..that those with $3k bikes avoid, or cannot do. Enough said.
    The only regrets in life, are the risks you didn't take.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mo0se
    Just recently, I witnessed a fellow on a Walmart bike ride up an insanely steep climb, with flat pedals..that those with $3k bikes avoid, or cannot do. Enough said.

mvi
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I would indeed call that very nice welds. If your not an American builder you will never get the credit though.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by C Dunlop
    Let's consider your e-mail to best answer your question, about the moral of the story:
    A) You can't conjugate verbs
    B) If you remove "Titanium bike circle" from the phrase in your first sentence, the remaining word self references rather well
    C) Regarding Ti, it's shorthand Titanium. In case you've only been involved with bikes for a few months ... Reynolds 531 alloy was often called, "531". Half the saddles sold on the planet have Ti or Cr or Fe printed on them.
    D) Your ability to write and yet contribute nothing useful says you are likely in vacuum cleaner sales, or if not, should be!

So the moral of the story? Why waste your breathe AND make a fool of yourself? Impressive how you accomplished both so smashingly well in one post!

Filippo

mtbr member
    Of course, ride is a matter of taste, and your results may vary
    So, where can I go to ride one? I don't live in Texas or Florida.
    Originally Posted by Vtolds/Dremer03---- "assume any bikes left unlocked and unattended are free to take"

mtbr member
    how about a picture of the entire profile of the bike? Its kinda like checking out parts of a chick and never seeing how the whole package looks : )
    OPEN Cycles One+ in stealthy black

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by mo0se
    Yes! I think I saw the same thing! LOL
    Last edited by flyag1; 07-14-2009 at 05:08 AM.

Mtbr Forum Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by Noobi-Wan Kenobi
    So, where can I go to ride one? I don't live in Texas or Florida.

On internet bikes, test rides normally do not happen
    so people rely on specs, geo, reveiws, and comments by owners on forums

There have been enough comments and reviews on our Ti bikes in the last year; that at $2000 to $3000 under other Ti bikes you can get in local shops Most Customers are willing to take the risk. That is way the Ti bikes sell out quicker than I can get them built.

By The Way, some of the most expensive bikes ever sold are sold without test rides {custom builds}. In the 'old' days I sold hundreds of custom built bikes to people who never had a test ride.

mtbr member
    On internet bikes, test rides normally do not happen
    so people rely on specs, geo, reveiws, and comments by owners on forums

There have been enough comments and reviews on our Ti bikes in the last year; that at $2000 to $3000 under other Ti bikes you can get in local shops Most Customers are willing to take the risk. That is way the Ti bikes sell out quicker than I can get them built.

By The Way, some of the most expensive bikes ever sold are sold without test rides {custom builds}. In the 'old' days I sold hundreds of custom built bikes to people who never had a test ride.
    But what if it is too flexible for my liking, or it doesn't fit right?

I've taken many bikes on test rides and didn't like how they felt, so would never consider purchasing them.
    Originally Posted by Vtolds/Dremer03---- "assume any bikes left unlocked and unattended are free to take"

Mtbr Forum Sponsor
    But what if it is too flexible for my liking, or it doesn't fit right?

I've taken many bikes on test rides and didn't like how they felt, so would never consider purchasing them.

Easy
    You build it, test ride it, if it does not exceed your expectations
    Box it back up, in new condition, and ship it back {within 30 days}
    we get it back in new condition and refund your money in full

Guess how many Ti Motobecanes we get returned!

By The Way, when I used to take custom build orders on sachs, gordon, mercian, etc frames and bikes; we did not allow 'returns' on these custom orders

Today, i think that is still the case
    AND we have customers tell us all the time that local shops want a non-refundable deposit or even full payment to order small or large size bikes. Lots of dealers want no bikes in 44, 46, 48, 60, 62, or 64 cm on their floors and will not order one without a non-refundable sale.

In our case, it is easy, we take returns, we stock all sizes, and we offer prices where we get very very very few returns.

My guess is we will not get any Fly Team 29er Ti returns ever.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Ask around. Find someone locally and take it for a ride.

Filippo

mtbr member
    Easy
    You build it, test ride it, if it does not exceed your expectations
    Box it back up, in new condition, and ship it back {within 30 days}
    we get it back in new condition and refund your money in full
    How about shipping charges?

mtbr member
    Ask around. Find someone locally and take it for a ride.

Filippo
    I've never seen or heard of one locally.

mtbr member
    If the price stays where it is,I think this will be my next bike. On a recent auction on E-bay the frame alone went for $900.00. Bikesdirect I don't know how you keep your prices so reasonable,but keep doing what your doing and you'll have another customer in 7 months.

<RANT>Why does any topic about Bikedirect bikes bring out all of the trolls? It seems like any topic about Motobecane bikes turns into a flame fest. I've noticed many of the haters have formed an opinion without ever having ridden one. I have never owned or ridden one,but for someone with their own tools and know how,I no longer need a LBS for much of anything. Hmmm....looks like I answered my own question.

Mtbr Forum Sponsor
    How about shipping charges?

I thought to myself; when I answered your last question;
    if this guy asks about shipping charges, he is just looking for issues

How much does it cost to drive around to stores and 'test' bikes??
    It costs $40 to ship a bike back to us unless you are in HI or AK.

If the risk of $40 return shipping is not worth the chance to save $2000 on a Ti bike - I would say, pay it safe and buy from the local bike shop. Of course, this assumes they stock the size you need in the model you are interested in; then you can do a test ride.

Shopping online is not for everyone; but it is for enough customers that we can not keep about half our 150 models in stock. Especially hard to keep the Ti bikes in stock; but I hope I can solve that in a year or so by getting frame builder to increase our allocation.

Mtbr Forum Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by WindWithMe
    If the price stays where it is,I think this will be my next bike. On a recent auction on E-bay the frame alone went for $900.00. Bikesdirect I don't know how you keep your prices so reasonable,but keep doing what your doing and you'll have another customer in 7 months.

<RANT>Why does any topic about Bikedirect bikes bring out all of the trolls? It seems like any topic about Motobecane bikes turns into a flame fest. I've noticed many of the haters have formed an opinion without ever having ridden one. I have never owned or ridden one,but for someone with their own tools and know how,I no longer need a LBS for much of anything. Hmmm....looks like I answered my own question.

We are still getting final quotes; which are hurt by latest down move of USD against Yen; but I hope to keep next run no higher than $1895

Framesets I got locked already; $995 with fork on this bike {$895 on road framesets}
    as pre-book prices.

To answer your question: we keep prices reasonable we [1] buying a lot and [2] keeping expenses down real low. Sounds simple, but keeping expenses down is harder than you might think.

Trolls fall into a few different catagories. Biggest is upset LBS and Bike Reps. Next are owners of expensive bikes who want to justify that they paid already for their current ride. Then there are those that just enjoy picking a fight.

But trolls do not bother me, I find them entertaining. And I sell every bike I can get, so no problem there.

Thanks for your comment

mtbr member
    I thought to myself; when I answered your last question;
    if this guy asks about shipping charges, he is just looking for issues

How much does it cost to drive around to stores and 'test' bikes??
    It costs $40 to ship a bike back to us unless you are in HI or AK.

If the risk of $40 return shipping is not worth the chance to save $2000 on a Ti bike - I would say, pay it safe and buy from the local bike shop. Of course, this assumes they stock the size you need in the model you are interested in; then you can do a test ride.

Shopping online is not for everyone; but it is for enough customers that we can not keep about half our 150 models in stock. Especially hard to keep the Ti bikes in stock; but I hope I can solve that in a year or so by getting frame builder to increase our allocation.
    I think shipping a bike is around $100. And it's not only the return shipping but the original shipping to me, which you probably will not refund. That's $200, which is an issue for some. Even at your $40 estimate, that's $80, which is an issue for a bike that may not fit or feel right.

Save $2000? You're saying this bike is valued at $3800? I guess I'll have to take your word for that.

mtbr member
    Mike, thanks for coming in here and representing your company.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by jmilliron
    I agree. It says a lot for your company, even if I buy or not.

Mtbr Forum Sponsor
    I think shipping a bike is around $100. And it's not only the return shipping but the original shipping to me, which you probably will not refund. That's $200, which is an issue for some. Even at your $40 estimate, that's $80, which is an issue for a bike that may not fit or feel right.

Save $2000? You're saying this bike is valued at $3800? I guess I'll have to take your word for that.

I may ship more bikes than you do
    Cost of a customer returning a bike to us is $40 [not including HI or AK]

Actually, I am sayting this bike is worth $5000 and would cost about that to equal it in a shop. $3800 for a bike equal to a Fly Team 29er Ti would be a bargin.

But this is not an issue for other buyers; at least that I have heard of.

Mtbr Forum Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by jmilliron

It is my pleasure, beleive it or not, when I was running shops I would hang around after close to just talk about bikes.

And about everyday my wife says to me "Who could not just love a bike?" {luckily we both like to talk about bikes all the time LOL}

mtbr member
    Actually, I am sayting this bike is worth $5000 and would cost about that to equal it in a shop.
    But you're not a shop.

Wow, $5000 huh. I don't think there are any bikes in a shop to equal it.

Mtbr Forum Sponsor
    But you're not a shop.

Wow, $5000 huh. I don't think there are any bikes in a shop to equal it.

Actually
    I have several shops

But I agree, you would be hard pressed to equal this bike for $5000 in a shop

mtbr member
    Actually
    I have several shops

But I agree, you would be hard pressed to equal this bike for $5000 in a shop
    Curious. Are your shop prices the same as your online prices?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    It is my pleasure, beleive it or not, when I was running shops I would hang around after close to just talk about bikes.

And about everyday my wife says to me "Who could not just love a bike?" {luckily we both like to talk about bikes all the time LOL}
    That's cool, and you are very lucky!

Mtbr Forum Sponsor
    Curious. Are your shop prices the same as your online prices?

On most bikes, but as you can guess; it is hard; as shop overhead is 10 to 15 points over online.

Luckily, most my shops sell tons of comfort, hybrid, bmx and cruisers
    and lots of Electra and Fuji and FreeAgent that we do not sell online

Mtbr Forum Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by Wish I Were Riding
    That's cool, and you are very lucky!

Thanks
    I know it

And here she is right after some guy yelled "Courtney Spratt, you are an Ironman"
    {a weird thing to hear someone call your wife}

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_V2X0-iX1dP...h/PB010073.JPG

mtbr member
    On most bikes, but as you can guess; it is hard; as shop overhead is 10 to 15 points over online.
    How about your Ti 29er? Since this thread is about that bike.

mtbr member
    The naysayers will always come out to try and beat up on Bikesdirect. If Mike had the Ti29 available earlier in the year I would probably own one now. With that I bought a steel 29er, unfortunately Bikesdirect doesn't offer a steel 29, or I would own one of those.

I will admit that previously I thought there bikes were for unknowing noobs. But since I live in Jax and we are fortunate to have a couple of their shops, I have to say these are great bikes, build quality and spec. I will never buy another bike without seriously looking at Bikesdirect first.

Dadembk

Mtbr Forum Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by dadembk
    The naysayers will always come out to try and beat up on Bikesdirect. If Mike had the Ti29 available earlier in the year I would probably own one now. With that I bought a steel 29er, unfortunately Bikesdirect doesn't offer a steel 29, or I would own one of those.

I will admit that previously I thought there bikes were for unknowing noobs. But since I live in Jax and we are fortunate to have a couple of their shops, I have to say these are great bikes, build quality and spec. I will never buy another bike without seriously looking at Bikesdirect first.

Dadembk

Thanks
    Next year - the Dawes Deadeye, 4130 CM rigid comes SS w/ V-bks, with disc tabs, disc hubs, and a special dropout to convert from SS to Der
    I am thinking around $350 or $375 delivered

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Thanks
    Next year - the Dawes Deadeye, 4130 CM rigid comes SS w/ V-bks, with disc tabs, disc hubs, and a special dropout to convert from SS to Der
    I am thinking around $350 or $375 delivered
    What about the ti SS frame?

Mtbr Forum Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by Wish I Were Riding
    What about the ti SS frame?
    tricky market
    but we are looking at it

issue is getting enough production for 7 models we have already

Ti bikes we have requests for are SS 29er, Track, Touring, Tri/TT, tall road racing [like 64], AM hardtail 26er, and coupling type for transport. A fair amount of interest in Ti, if the price is right.

mtbr member

If you live in the lower 48, then take a gander at this:

http://www.bikesdirect.com/ship_info.html

bryan_d

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I've never seen or heard of one locally.
    Post here and the Motobecane forum and ask if anyone is local to you with a Ti 29er.

Filippo

In FTF We Trust
    Our next full order of Fly Team 29er Ti is coming in late October or early Nov
    And we will start a pre-book as soon as we get a better idea of exact shipping date
    Cool deal, I signed up for the newsletter.

mtbr member
    Post here and the Motobecane forum and ask if anyone is local to you with a Ti 29er.

Filippo
    Good idea, but I wouldn't even know what size to inquire about. I just looked at the Motobecane geometry chart and couldn't find a listing for ETT length. How did any of you get the right size?

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I went for my first group ride tonight on my Moto Fly Team 29er Ti.

Almost every one of the other 15 riders asked me about my bike. Most of these guys had pretty high end custom framed bikes, not the usual LBS brands.

The ride organizer had a bike that looked remarkably similar to mine. It was a Seven Ti 29er frame that he had built up. Some of the components were higher grade than on my Moto (like front fork and crank), but some were lower grade (derailleurs and brakes most noticably). Overall, the bikes were pretty much on par with each other.

When I told him how much I paid for mine, his response was "For the whole bike?". He looked like he was going to fall off his bike. He then told me his frame alone cost more than my whole bike and that he had upwards of $5000 into his.

We rode some pretty difficult terrain for about 2 hours. My bike performed flawlessly. Most of the other riders had far more experience than me and could kick my butt on the technical rocky uphills. When it came to smoother fireroad stuff, though, I could easily work my way up to the front of the pack. The bike is fast. I just need to practice my skills.

Thanks again Mike for hooking me up with the bike last month. I can't say enough good things about your company and this bike. The trolls here are just that, trolls. Every online forum has them.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Good idea, but I wouldn't even know what size to inquire about. I just looked at the Motobecane geometry chart and couldn't find a listing for ETT length. How did any of you get the right size?
    I am 6' with a 32" inseam and went with the 19" frame. In reality this is not a road bike and far more flexible in frame size. For a test ride, you should be able to ride something in the ballpark and get a good idea of what the bike is like. I would assume you are a 17" or 19" frame rider (if you are 6'5" or 5'4" tall you would know what frame size you need and wouldn't be asking this question).

Filippo

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    When is the next batch due? I tried to buy one this go around, but all sold out.
    Last edited by SVT2FJ; 07-15-2009 at 07:16 AM.

i heart singletrack
    Quote Originally Posted by mvi
    I would indeed call that very nice welds. If your not an American builder you will never get the credit though.
    Oh, I'll give 'em credit... Those look good. It's true. They may not be Moots' welds, but they're certainly passable. I've seen worse, even from builders in the US.
    I like bikes

Mtbr Forum Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by SVT2FJ
    When is the next batch due? I tired to buy one this go around, but all sold out.
    I think we are looking at November
    I wish it were quicker, but lead-times are long and there are production limits

We will get complete bikes and framesets this time.

Thanks for the interest

Mtbr Forum Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by AltRox
    I went for my first group ride tonight on my Moto Fly Team 29er Ti.

Almost every one of the other 15 riders asked me about my bike. Most of these guys had pretty high end custom framed bikes, not the usual LBS brands.

The ride organizer had a bike that looked remarkably similar to mine. It was a Seven Ti 29er frame that he had built up. Some of the components were higher grade than on my Moto (like front fork and crank), but some were lower grade (derailleurs and brakes most noticably). Overall, the bikes were pretty much on par with each other.

When I told him how much I paid for mine, his response was "For the whole bike?". He looked like he was going to fall off his bike. He then told me his frame alone cost more than my whole bike and that he had upwards of $5000 into his.

We rode some pretty difficult terrain for about 2 hours. My bike performed flawlessly. Most of the other riders had far more experience than me and could kick my butt on the technical rocky uphills. When it came to smoother fireroad stuff, though, I could easily work my way up to the front of the pack. The bike is fast. I just need to practice my skills.

Thanks again Mike for hooking me up with the bike last month. I can't say enough good things about your company and this bike. The trolls here are just that, trolls. Every online forum has them.
    Thank you, and thanks for the ride report
    enjoy it and be safe

I am very happy you like the bike

mtbr member
    Duh- TREK does this too - they got Fisher, Klein, Bontrager etc
    SRAM does this too - they got Avid, Truvativ, Rockshox
    Schwinn, GT, Ironhorse, Mongoose, Next are all owned by the same Canadian company

How is this a bad thing? well mebbe the canadian thing...(JK)

BD bikes seem to be the best for the $
    wish they had more stock and an FS 29er....

Quote Originally Posted by eastspur

It is possible for rice to absorb other odors in storage. Or could be the quality of water in it was prepared. Mahatma Rice

mtbr member
    Sep 2005

they are a bit extreme

[QUOTE=dinoadventures]Congrats on the new bike!

I think those brake levers need to be rotated down quite a bit. That can't be a comfortable angle (unless you don't use brakes).

Especiallly on dh bikes i've found that more experienced(faster) riders ,set their bikes up with the levers down more,they're standing more centered on their bike and ride the terrain like it's flat ground only going faster.Flat levers ,sort of like that, are for someone that is spending a lot of time scared of endoing and way behind the seat,skidding. The same would apply to other lever position adjustments, faster riders cover the levers with two or one finger, set the position of engagement close to the bar and push the levers in to clear the rest of their fingers,not universal but a functional trend.....The levers were probabely moved very shortly after the bike was ridden, those are just to far up for anybody,imho.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Herbn ....

Most of my riding is fire roads, gravel, pave in place, et cetera. It's not about being scared, it's about being smart enough to stay in the saddle where you are faster on even terrain.

Filippo

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I've put about 50 miles on this Fly Team Ti 29er. I've been very pleased with the bike. The seat is a bit thin for my liking, but that's a very personal choice. I've found the frame pretty stiff, and the componentry is like butter. The bike is very light, fast and I really feel like it is working with me - I never feel like I'm fighting it. For the $1800 I paid along with the several hundred dollars in upgrades I would do it again in a flash. I was well served.

Filippo

mtbr member
    I've put about 50 miles on this Fly Team Ti 29er. I've been very pleased with the bike. The seat is a bit thin for my liking, but that's a very personal choice. I've found the frame pretty stiff, and the componentry is like butter. The bike is very light, fast and I really feel like it is working with me - I never feel like I'm fighting it. For the $1800 I paid along with the several hundred dollars in upgrades I would do it again in a flash. I was well served.

Filippo
    so buy a new saddle - don't harm yer boys like that...
    It is possible for rice to absorb other odors in storage. Or could be the quality of water in it was prepared. Mahatma Rice

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by oldassracer
    so buy a new saddle - don't harm yer boys like that...
    Yup ... got a Terry on there now ...

Filippo

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    mike, what is the ETT of the 19" 29er Ti frame and what would be about the weight. Can't find clear information on the webpage (the ETT varies between 23,25 and 24).

thanks.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009

Wheelset Not For Monsters

Hi Guy's quick update...have about 40 miles on the new Fly 29er..love it....only problem was the wheelset for me too light? I am a clyde about 270lbs..I put em to the test but for me no luck..went out after the 30 mile mark....not shocked @ my weight....still love the bike just upgraded the wheelset...we'll see how she goes....

Members who have read this thread: 0