Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Ti 29er candy

mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Ti 29er candy

BikesDirect shipped my bike a few weeks ago. I've been slowly assembling parts. Been pretty busy with other things. The bike is almost ready to ride, just awaiting the seatpost which arrived in the wrong size. As spec'd, this is an XC bike. In my case, I'll be using it for gravel, hard pack, fire roads and pave in place roads. The tires are Schwalbe Marathon Supreme (they are wicked @ 29x2.0), the rest is basically Bontrager carbon fiber bits for seatpost, stem, handlebars, Ergon GR2 Carbon fiber grips. The bike comes spec'd with 3AL/2.5V titanium butted frame (the welds are artwork), Rockshox Reba Race fork, FSA Afterburner crank with hollow forged arms and external MegaExo bearings, FSA headset, hand built Vuelta wheels, all Shimano XTR, and Avid Elixir CF brakes. There is about $2,200 into the bike. Not bad. Don't have a weight yet, but figure at 19" it is probably 24lbs.

Filippo
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fmorelli
    The bike comes spec'd with 3AL/2.5V titanium butted frame (the welds are artwork)
    Filippo
    Looks flexy

i heart singletrack
    Quote Originally Posted by fmorelli
    (the welds are artwork)

Filippo
    a picture showing one of these "artistic" welds would be nice...

In FTF We Trust
    Well, aren't we a bunch of negative nellies? As much of a bike whore as I am, I considered buying one of these but luckily for me they're all sold out; sounds like until this fall.
    "I'll disintegrate over time if I expect my body to try to keep up with my mind" -BM

Race, Rocks or Road...Just Ride

i heart singletrack
    Quote Originally Posted by el-cid
    Well, aren't we a bunch of negative nellies? As much of a bike whore as I am, I considered buying one of these but luckily for me they're all sold out; sounds like until this fall.
    sorry, didn't mean to sound negative... just kind of found it humorous that he went out of his way to mention the welds then seemed to go out of his way not to show any welds in the photos. that's usually one of the best parts of any ti frame -- the svelte, smooth welds.

What's "social pace?"
    May 2008
    Congrats on the new bike!

I think those brake levers need to be rotated down quite a bit. That can't be a comfortable angle (unless you don't use brakes).

Oh and what are Vuelta wheels?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mgersib
    a picture showing one of these "artistic" welds would be nice...
    Bikesdirect has a gallery. 26r Fly had better pictures.

You would not confuse it with Moots, but it is quite functional. I have carefully inspected my 26r and could not find anything to complain about.

Quote Originally Posted by dinoadventures
    Oh and what are Vuelta wheels?
    Some bikesdirect housebrand. Their top line so far had been proven fairly reliable both in my experience (I have expected to replace them, but did not) and from reviews. You can buy them directly from their affiliate or on Ebay. There are two "Vueltas" though.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by single~minded
    I got to see this.....if so....then it is such a noodle
    I like how people here make assumptions without ever touching a bike.

OP - take the stickers off the rims. They weight like several grams. Stock spoke tape replaced with some yellow/strapping tape is another 20g or so.

mtbr member
    Well just so there is an understanding......I owned a Ti 9'r, 2 scandium 9'rs (still have one) and also have a Superfly....so.....

Guess I have touched a bike
    I understand your attempt at humoring my use of articles, but I guess it was obvious that I have referred to opinions about the bike discussed in this thread. I bet you are much worse at my native language that I am at English.

Mtbr Forum Sponsor
    Weight:
    "The Gary Fisher Super Fly weighs 24lbs. The FLY Team 29er Ti weighs less than 24 lbs (*size small/15.5" no pedals/reflectors).

I got to see this.....if so....then it is such a noodle
    Weights on Fly Team 29er Ti have been running 23 to 23.8 lbs
    Most I have weighed are right at 23.5lb

In comparison, the Fly Team Ti {26"} weighes 19.5 lbs {my wife and many others race this bike XC and find it quick, comfortable, and responsive}

We are out to break assumptions with the Ti bikes {mountain, road, and cross}
    One assumption we are out to kill is "you can only get a well made high spec Ti bike for $4000 to $5000"

Another is that "that light weight Ti bikes are noodles"
    There have been hundreds of customers and lots of magazine testers who have had a chance to comment that Motobecane Ti bikes are 'flexy' -- But we do not find that in reviews by customers or magazines, many comment the frames are very comfortable without being overly flexiable.

Of course, ride is a matter of taste, and your results may vary

So far, I am very happy with the Feedback on all 7 of our Ti models

Mtbr Forum Sponsor

So how's this......."I bet they are comfortable"
    And you are correct, sir.

Thanks

In FTF We Trust
    Quote Originally Posted by bikesdirect
    ...Thanks
    Mike, exactly when are more of the complete bikes going to be back in stock and how does one go about getting in on a "pre-order" list? Just curious, of course...
    "I'll disintegrate over time if I expect my body to try to keep up with my mind" -BM

Race, Rocks or Road...Just Ride

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Plenty of frame photos at the web site for bikesdirect. They look identical to my bike. http://motobecane.com/bikeradar/ti29_gallery/.

The wheels are a house brand. Mike has told us that the best wheel builder in Taiwan puts them together. Mine are straight as an arrow out of the box. We'll see how they hold up, but most folks with these wheels already have had nothing but good news. They are hand built, individually numbered, flat spoked, et cetera.

I was just looking to post a few photos of my bike as it was coming together. I'm excited to get a ride, hopefully later this week. Not sure why my post drags up the naysayers. Must be in the forum water ...

Filippo

mtbr member
    Does anyone know if it is possible to buy one of these frames and where I might find the geometry/sizing chart?

Thanks

Mtbr Forum Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by el-cid
    Mike, exactly when are more of the complete bikes going to be back in stock and how does one go about getting in on a "pre-order" list? Just curious, of course...

Our next full order of Fly Team 29er Ti is coming in late October or early Nov
    And we will start a pre-book as soon as we get a better idea of exact shipping date

Lots of customers get on the newsletter; so that they get up-dates on what is coming in
    {we dop not send out spam to previous customers, so we have gone with a newletter people can sign up for - here is link http://www.bikesdirect.com/deals/

Also, we are going to start pre-book on framesets; as we had lots of requests for those
    Per-book price on Fly Team Ti {26 or 29} with Fork & headset will be $995 {le Champion Team Ti frameset w/ fork&headset is be $895} -- I know these will be the best deals ever offered on Ti framesets; I really want lots of people to get a chance to see the workmanship on these Ti frames

Thanks for your question

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    BTW, what is it with the Titanium bike circle jerk that insists on referring to every weld as resembling sex, or some other such cliche. Wow, your bike has been welded, congratulations! I am yet to ride a titanium bike that doesn't feel flexible. What is the moral of the story? Nice welds, horrible bike! Also, what is up with referring to Titanium is 'TI' Do you refer to your steel bike as 'my Fe bike', or your sunglasses as 'my SiO2es'.

Mtbr Forum Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by MagicCarpet
    Does anyone know if it is possible to buy one of these frames and where I might find the geometry/sizing chart?

Thanks
    Framesets with Frame/headeset/fork will be coming in during the Fall
    Pre-book will start soon - probably by July 25th
    With price at $995 delivered
    I completely beleive this Ti frameset compares well to frames sold for $2000 for frame alone - since the frame comes with a RS Reba; it is a steal {but please do not think this is due to low quality; it is truely due to my desire to get lots of people on these Moto Ti frames. For me, it is not enough that Magazines are calling the framework 'stunning' - I want lots of customers in everystate showing these Ti bikes & frames off}

I think geo is all on BD site

thanks for your interest

Mtbr Forum Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by C Dunlop
    BTW, what is it with the Titanium bike circle jerk that insists on referring to every weld as resembling sex, or some other such cliche. Wow, your bike has been welded, congratulations! I am yet to ride a titanium bike that doesn't feel flexible. What is the moral of the story? Nice welds, horrible bike! Also, what is up with referring to Titanium is 'TI' Do you refer to your steel bike as 'my Fe bike', or your sunglasses as 'my SiO2es'.

We have 4 major materials to work with; as you know
    Ti is by far the most expensive of these
    But each has it's place
    On the new Moto site [coming out in September] we are going to try to show why we use all 4 - and where we think each makes sense.

Many have their favorite; I like all 4 when done well; right now we sell by far the most units in Aluminum and Steel. That will probably not change; due to price points. But growth of sales in Ti is really good as many people have an interest in this really great frame material.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I'm not exactly a Bikesdirect fan but I do think the company seems to have a good reputation, at least with it's high end product. I have yet to find anyone on any of the forums who has said I spent $2,000 on a bikesdirect bicycle and it sucked. Unfortunately I can't say the same for their cheaper stuff but the expensive seems to work very well by at least if you judge quality as the number of complaints by actual owners.

mtbr member
    I note the tube angles are a little more relaxed than most other brands. How are new owners finding this? Noticeable? Good or bad?

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    I don't think bikesdirect is any different than other companies who source their frames from Taiwan. I have yet to see a bad titanium weld, I think it's in the nature of the metal. I think some people hate them because they are the distributor as well as the "manufacturer". They also have a few different company names that are really just made up to make it look like they have variety on their site. That is what I don't like. I wish they would adopt one company name and go with that, it would be easier to stand behind their products without feeling like they are trying to deceive the consumer. Sure there are companies operating with multiple brands but not all out of the same building with the same staff...

I'm sure the frame is comparable to other TI frames from Asia. It's not in their best interest to put out a crappy frame and with bike parts being as overpriced as they are there is plenty of room for them to sell the frames for cheap while still making a profit.

Mtbr Forum Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by eastspur
    I don't think bikesdirect is any different than other companies who source their frames from Taiwan. I have yet to see a bad titanium weld, I think it's in the nature of the metal. I think some people hate them because they are the distributor as well as the "manufacturer". They also have a few different company names that are really just made up to make it look like they have variety on their site. That is what I don't like. I wish they would adopt one company name and go with that, it would be easier to stand behind their products without feeling like they are trying to deceive the consumer. Sure there are companies operating with multiple brands but not all out of the same building with the same staff...

I'm sure the frame is comparable to other TI frames from Asia. It's not in their best interest to put out a crappy frame and with bike parts being as overpriced as they are there is plenty of room for them to sell the frames for cheap while still making a profit.

Thank you for your understanding of sourcing frames & bikes from Taiwan. And you are correct, there are some who do not like the consumer direct distribution model. However, you are a little off on the brand names being all alike. There are dozens of examples of big differences from model to model; brand to brand. Good example Windsor AL 29er are nothing like Moto AL 29ers.

And there are other companies running the same brands out of the same buildings with the same staff. This is rather common in the industry, Trek, Raleigh, Schwinn, QBP, Fuji, -- the list includes many many operations. Think of it, Fuji could make all Kestrels, SE, and breezers under the Fuji label - but would that really be better? Schwinn, GT, Mongoose, Cannondale could all be under one label, but I do not think that would make things better. There are customers who just like certain designs and also those that like certain brand names.

We have right now 10 SS/FG models, and we are adding at least 6 that I can think of right now. I could not see all 16 of these under one name.

Varity is the spice of life
    and I like choices

Life is Go0d!
    Just recently, I witnessed a fellow on a Walmart bike ride up an insanely steep climb, with flat pedals..that those with $3k bikes avoid, or cannot do. Enough said.
    The only regrets in life, are the risks you didn't take.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mo0se
    Just recently, I witnessed a fellow on a Walmart bike ride up an insanely steep climb, with flat pedals..that those with $3k bikes avoid, or cannot do. Enough said.

mvi
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I would indeed call that very nice welds. If your not an American builder you will never get the credit though.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast