Thread: Ti 29+?

mtbr member
    Jun 2012

Ti 29+?

I am starting to think of having a titanium custom 29+ built but I want the option to run 5" tires. Is there anybody that has something like that or any feedback you can give me?

*I also want to run a Rohloff and Gates but I need to prioritize so I may add it after.

4 Niners
    Dec 2008
    5" tires means a wide Q factor on the cranks. The belt will make it a little wider still. The rear will also have to be wide and I don't know if they make a Rohloff that wide yet with the pulley taken into account.
    Full rigid SS, Hardtail SS, Hardtail Geared, Full Suspension Geared.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    170mm SPEEDHUB for Fatbikes (update): www.rohloff.de

You're really talking a custom fatbike frame with an asymmetric build to give sufficient clearance for 5" tire. Expect you'll need 190 Q-Factor cranks too.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Some good points - I thought I could getaway with 170mm for a 5" but I guess not. If I'm running 29+ (3") I don't know if there is much of a point to run another wheel size smaller than 5".

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I know the REEBdonkadonk will run fatties and 29+, not Ti, but they might build you a Ti version.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    I don't know what part of the country you are in, but I had Ti Cycles in Portland Or build my wife a custom adventure touring complete bike fairly reasonably It is gorgeous. Already been to Italy and Idaho Hot Springs this season. They added S&S couplers to hers and to my Ti Fargo. They seem to have a lot more capabilities than is immediately obvious on their website. I am pretty sure they could build your 29er+. Talk to Eric or Dave.

mtbr member
    U should contact Cycle Monkey, They can help with the bike U want....

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Gyro, ladijon - Thanks for the heads on on these guys. I'm going to give them both a call and see what they have to say. I'll keep ya'll posted

Category Winner
    Add Sean Chaney at Vertigo to your list. He likes a challenge (and makes fat bikes way too much).
    WWW.TEAMDICKY.COM

I get paid 3 every time I post on MTBR.

mtbr member
    I think that a 170mm bike that can fit 5" tires is a perfect frame to have custom built. I don't think there are any clearance issues with 5" tires and the 170mm Rohloff hub. But since that has not been available and is a niche market anyway 170mm bikes are not designed to be able to fit 5" tires. When Salsa designed their Mukluk the biggest tire they could use on the back with a 1x11 drivetrain was a BFL on 82mm rims, so the clearance on the chainstays, seatstays, and seat tube are designed to clear that tire.

I just bought a fat bike and i've always wanted a titanium frame. I didn't feel that I knew enough about exactly what I wanted to justify getting a custom frame, so I ended up with a Mukluk Ti. But I think that what you want would be worth going custom.

29 x 3 tires are a little taller that 26 x 4.8 tires, so that will be a factor when you change back and forth. I think that it is small enough that it won't be a problem. I'm thinking about trying out 27.5 x 3 tires out on my fat bike when they come out.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Just to add, I have a custom ti 29+ and I'm in the process of designing a custom ti fatbike so getting into all the details about geometry, hub and crank sizes. 29+ has a bigger rolling diameter which can have a bearing in terms of BB drop - suggest you check standover clearance on the likes of a Krampus when sizing. For 5" tire and Rohloff you'll want a 170mm-width asymmetric frame - 190mm symmetric appears to be the trend.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    interested in learning about the addition of couplers to your ti fargo
    what year are the bikes?
    cost, time, how do they look and ride?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    My Fargo is a 2013. I got it as a close-out last January. I was concerned about the couplers, but honestly, I cannot tell any difference in the handling. The cost was $1100 because of the oversize down tube. Eric did a great job of handling the oval shape at the bottom of the downtube. I decided because we don't have a Salsa dealer, and the availability of the 2014 Fargo Ti was delayed, decided to have Ti Cycles build a Fargo style frame to my wife's size, which came out to be between a small and XS. The bike is a beauty, and it covered many Km in Italy and the PNW this summer. It took about 2 1/2 months to turn things around. It sits in our livingroom as an artwork. Her frame and fork was around $2400. Her frame was made in Asia. TiCycles hand makes frames in Portland but have the capability to send CAD drawings to Asia to have more of a "production frame" available, even though it is custom, thus saving about a grand. The Ticycles titanium fork is a great alternative to a carbon fork, for about the same money and won't fail catastrophically as a carbon fork is capable of. The top pic is her bike, the bottom dusty one is my Fargo. I am envious of her ti bars and fork, but I love those woodchipper handlebars.

Ti 29+?-p1070243.jpgTi 29+?-p1070244.jpgTi 29+?-p1070245.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by threepin View Post
    interested in learning about the addition of couplers to your ti fargo
    what year are the bikes?
    cost, time, how do they look and ride?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    thats pretty darn cool -i also have a 2013 and always figured that coupler would be impossible
    agree on the woodchoppers- wish they made a carbon version
    i think if the did they should take a bit off the ends and make the top longer resulting in the same overall width but a wider spread of the hands

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Spent some time speaking to some builders over the past few days and have gotten some good ideas. It seems to be a straight forward build but I still want to nail down some of the details.

I may give Steve Potts a call and see if he could do something as I've always wanted a Potts Ti but the cost may be prohibitive. There are tons of great builders out there so it is tough to narrow it down.
    Last edited by tri29; 1 Week Ago at 02:15 AM.

This place needs an enema

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Mikesee - I likey! Great build.