Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Thule Roof Bike Carrier & 29r

Anyone out there with a full squish 29r and a Thule roof rack carrier? If so what kind are you using?

I'm looking for one and would like to be able to leave the wheels on...but not a deal breaker.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    FYI I'm leaning towards getting the Criterium or Big Mouth..

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Thule*-*594XT Sidearm

I have a XXLsultan and love this rack. Enjoy.
    High Ho Sultan, Lets GO

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Another vote for the Sidearm. It works very well with my Trek Rumblefish....

mtbr member
    Sidearm it is.....thanks!!

I <3 dirt

Thule Roof Bike Carrier &amp; 29r

Sidearm for sure!
    WHY ARE YOU YELLING??!1

mtbr member
    Sidearm here. Doesn't look as good down but works better than any other rack I've used.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    1upUSA. Google it. Will outlast Thule, Yakima or Kuat...

mtbr member

Sidearm here with niner rip9 and big tires. Works great! Tried a high roller first because it does look better folded up, but after I saw the wobble and realized I could grab the tire and push it out of the arms with little effort, it went back in exchange for the sidearm. If the high roller had an extra notch to allow the arms to sandwich closer together around the tire I would have gone with it. Apparently to Yakima a DH 26" tire and a 29" tire are the same??
    "That's a niiiiiiiice biiike boy! That a Huffy!?"

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    +1 more for the sidearm. I have used it for several years with our pair of 26ers (the 29er is coming in 4 weeks). If you mount it front tire front, with some cars (incl Audi A4), there is sufficient updraft from the windshield to lift the bikes out of the tray (a bit scary when you look up through the sunroof). The fix is to mount the rear wheel to the front with the ratchet holding it into the tray. Maybe this is in the manual somewhere (but who reads manuals to assemble stuff anyway?).

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    How hard is it to get your bike on the roof?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Gordon View Post
    +1 more for the sidearm. I have used it for several years with our pair of 26ers (the 29er is coming in 4 weeks). If you mount it front tire front, with some cars (incl Audi A4), there is sufficient updraft from the windshield to lift the bikes out of the tray (a bit scary when you look up through the sunroof). The fix is to mount the rear wheel to the front with the ratchet holding it into the tray. Maybe this is in the manual somewhere (but who reads manuals to assemble stuff anyway?).
    I've heard about the lift. I've also heard about the front tire wobble with some other racks. The cure for those was also to go back tire front.

I shouldn't have a problem because these are going on my Thule track racks.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Kell12,

Depends. Audi A4. Trek EX8 (28 lb but I'm guessing). I'm 5'10, 54yo, former rower, still do some weights. Put the side arm half way up. Tires into the tray, then elevate bike, swing side arm up then down, clip rear tire in. My wife 5'6", former xcountry runner, does weights only in good weather can manage if she has to, but prefers to load the hatch.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Sounds like everyone uses the sidearm!
    Metal hack- please let us know what you end up with, as I am beginning to look at these as well

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by XyesterdayX View Post
    Sounds like everyone uses the sidearm!
    Metal hack- please let us know what you end up with, as I am beginning to look at these as well
    I went with the sidearm and glad I did. Mounted on my Xsporter rack no problem. Im not an instruction reader and it went together fine. Bike is very solid up there and can be locked.

I paid $189 because I wasnt sure I would like it and wanted to be able to return it...now that I know I do Im going to look around for used ones for the rest of my bikes.

mtbr member
    BTW im looking to buy another Sidearm if anyone has one for sale...

mtbr member
    The sidearm is better than the ProRide 591 then?

Your Best Friend
    Yes, never get a rack that clamps on to your frame.

I just picked up an entirely new Thule system for the top of my new Subaru XV. Aero cross bars and 3 sidearms. Should all be together in a month or so. I also have a 2" hitch and will be putting a Kuat NV on it, but not in the near future.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011

Another side arm user here! Have two of them about a year ok and they have worked flawless - one note if you worry about them down the road but them at rei and take them back if you ever have a non factory warranty related issue with them!

I doubt you will ever have a major issue - I didn't notice te factory rear tire strap on mine has a rivet on the inside that scratches the track when clamped down. I don't care that much but when it becomes an issue it will go back to rei for replacement. FYI the new clamps appear to have resolved this issue with a complete redesign.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    1upusa. Only touches the tires and just 5 seconds to load and unload.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Silentfoe View Post
    Yes, never get a rack that clamps on to your frame.

I just picked up an entirely new Thule system for the top of my new Subaru XV. Aero cross bars and 3 sidearms. Should all be together in a month or so. I also have a 2" hitch and will be putting a Kuat NV on it, but not in the near future.
    I have two Sidearms mounted over the bed cover on my Escalade EXT. When I go riding with my daughter or just one buddy we use the Sidearms to transport the bikes.

I also have the Kuat NV (setup for 4 bikes) if I go somewhere with my girlfriend and the kids. The Kuat is a very nice rack, very little movement, carries the bikes securely, and the bike stand comes in handy for light repairs or adjustments. It also looks very nice.

If you're shorter than 5'10" it may be hard to get the bikes on and off a taller vehicle using the rooftop bike carriers.

Expect some double-takes from other drivers when you're loaded up with 6 or 7 bikes and cruising down the highway on your way to the trail...

Your Best Friend

Re: Thule Roof Bike Carrier & 29r

Ha! Yeah I'm sure it'll look loaded up. I'll only be using the Kuat NV 2 bike system. I've used the +2 add on and it squished the bikes too close and never worked well.

Your Best Friend

Re: Thule Roof Bike Carrier & 29r

Oh, and I'm almost 6'3" so the roof won't be an issue.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011

Thule Roof Bike Carrier &amp; 29r-imageuploadedbytapatalk1362426136.617785.jpg
    Marks on the track
    Thule Roof Bike Carrier &amp; 29r-imageuploadedbytapatalk1362426162.157075.jpg

mtbr member
    Anyone have the sidearm mounted on a 2013 Outback with factory crossbars? going from a truck to a car and not a huge fan of having a $7000 bumper during commuting

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast