Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004

Three blinged out Carbon 29ers - Turner Czar, SC Tallboy, Pivot Mach 429

Some BC XC on Ledgeview in Abbotsford

[/QUOTE]

Pivot Mach 429 Carbon, Turner Czar, Santa Cruz Tallboy. All shimano pedals, All of us about the same size. All of us traded off bikes. What're the chances?

Trails super lush and green.
    Locals' Guide to North Shore Rides http://mtbtrails.ca/

mtbr member
    Wow. Stunning looking singletrack. Thanks for the superb photos.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Great post. So which bike handled the best? You guys should make a mini-review or mini-shootout comparision.

mtbr member
    Nice bikes with great setups but I don't know about "blinged out". All sweet rides never the less. Oh and + 1 on the "stunning looking" singletrack.
    This may be a total waste of time but I can't help but think that you might amount to something someday.

Hi There!
    Wow, what a nice place...the one and only thing that makes me dislike living in South Florida.
    NTFTC

mtbr member
    Where is that? It looks gorgeous! Northwest?

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004
    ACMI - going for a ride now! Post later

Quote Originally Posted by reydin View Post
    Nice bikes with great setups but I don't know about "blinged out". All sweet rides never the less. Oh and + 1 on the "stunning looking" singletrack.
    I dunno. The Czar had Enve wheels and XX1. The Tallboy was full XTR. The 429 was the crappiest adorned ride with full xt. Seemed bling to me! :>

Quote Originally Posted by Settertude View Post
    Where is that? It looks gorgeous! Northwest?
    Ledgeview. Abbotsford in BC. Was a beautiful day

mtbr member
    Yup, I'll give it to you an the Czar that's for sure enjoy the ride!
    This may be a total waste of time but I can't help but think that you might amount to something someday.

mtbr member
    Another Florida rider who would love to have single track like that. Thanks for posting!!!
    2013 SC Tallboy C
    2011 Niner EMD9

Hi There!
    Quote Originally Posted by gdtrfb24 View Post
    Another Florida rider who would love to have single track like that. Thanks for posting!!!
    Well, for full disclosure: I live a mile from a great beach, so I went there after riding this morning...there is that.
    NTFTC

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    haha...reydin might need help pulling his foot out of his mouth, as he's got it jammed in there pretty deep.

Great looking area. me jelly

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jonshonda View Post
    haha...reydin might need help pulling his foot out of his mouth, as he's got it jammed in there pretty deep.

Great looking area. me jelly
    Haha, not really, as I said, all three are nice bikes with solid builds but to me only the Czar takes it to the "Bling" level. So that would be "One bling and two Effin sweet Carbon 29ers".

Your Best Friend
    Very nice bikes and a beautiful trail. They are not "blinged out", especially if one is sporting XT and two don't have carbon wheels. Killer bikes all the same. Thanks for the stoke!

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeL View Post
    ACMI - going for a ride now! Post later
    Awesome, Lee. Great trails. To me, the frames alone are bling already. Though I agree the Pivot is not "blinged out". Great bikes nonetheless.

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004
    from bg who sipped the 29er koolaid for the first time: "We each took turns riding a Pivot Mach 429, Tall Boy and the CZAR. I must say the CZAR does not ride like a 29r, its very playful and quick handling. Where other 29r's like going straight, like the Pivot and Tall Boy, the CZAR doesn't mind taking detours off the trail. All three of these bikes are great, different and capable."

Me:

Turner Czar - what I always wanted from the holy grail of 29ers. Big wheel rolling advantage on the flats, rolling over advantage on the descents, minimal handling compromises on the descents. Thank god there are now bikes that are designed well. Czar is the best handling 29er I've had ever. Better than my personal Tallboy. Am still in shock over how well it handles on the downhill; it begs for more. It begs to be ridden hard. Ridiculously nimble. Sure it climbs well - but I expected that out a light bling machine. I didn't expect it to rally Dh the way it does.

Sram XX1, 100 front/rear, carbon wheels, ~24.2lbs

Pivot 429 - climbed like the Czar - ie like a DWlink bike of which I'm a fanboy. The suspension's anti-squat seems to let the bike recover between multiple hits (eg roots) so you don't even to alter pedal stroke but can keep applying power. Not like 4-bar where you use the actuation of a rear shock to time pedal strokes to get max grip between pedal strokes or VPP which seems to firm up under pedalling. Small digression; I'm of the view that different suspension characteristics aren't better or worse. They're just different. It's up to the rider to find their preference and either adapt their riding style and if they don't want to/ or can't adapt riding style --- then to find another suspension that works for them. On flats and downhill it wants to attack. Not poppy and playful attack but more like a Dh, absorb everything, rail everything attack. Might have been setup (had big 780mm bars) but it rode quite differently downhill than the Czar

Shimano XT/ 120front/100 rear, DT alloy wheels ~ 29lbs

SC Tallboy C - my personal bike so I'm a bit biased there. In summer 2011 at its time it was the only bike that met the criteria of what I wanted. Still more than holds its own. Still holds its own and better than both Czar and 429 even in some ways (feels incredibly tight and maneuverable for eg) but the VPP seems to not have two things that I like out of the DWlink. In climbing, there's a little hitch in the recovery between obstacles so you have to be bit more precise in climbing. In descending, the suspension firms up on longer descents. That seems to be a characteristic of the Tallboy. It's just that bit more firm in its ride than the ever-so-slightly more plush feeling Pivot and Turner (all bikes set up for manu'er recommended settings shockwise). Again, that's not bad or good - its just a different characteristic. I can't help going back to my impression of the RM Element 29er and the fact that it felt so like the Tallboy -- which is neither here nor there I know.

Long and short - those are my impressions and hope they help for whatever carbon machine you're thinking about getting.

Disclosure is that the Czar will be the subject of a test article for MTBR

mtbr member extraordinair
    No comment on the bikes, but that looks like a killer trail!
    Grit, spit, and a whole lot of duct tape!

Meat Clever
    LeeL,

Good stuff. Now please go ride a Ripley and add to the mix...
    Quote Originally Posted by VanillaEps View Post
    A little bit of pee just trickled out of my pipi when I saw that.

mtbr member
    They are not "blinged out", especially if one is sporting XT and two don't have carbon wheels.

Are you the "Bling Police" letting everybody know their bikes are not as "Bling" as they thought???? Anyway very nice bikes guys and even cooler trails. Thanks for sharing

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.A. View Post
    Are you the "Bling Police" letting everybody know their bikes are not as "Bling" as they thought???? Anyway very nice bikes guys and even cooler trails. Thanks for sharing
    What are you, the anti-opinion police???? Anyways, thanks for sharing your opinion on someone's opinion.

Prolly the best way for OP to have titled it to avoid 'confusion' is to have stated something like "three bling Carbon 29ers" instead of "Three blinged out bikes Carbon 29ers"

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Florida guys, just make the drive to Alafia, Boyette and Santos....I finally did and the trails have everything a XC bike could ask for.....well, most everything.

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004
    OK - everyone settle down :> Should have just said three very nice carbon 29ers!

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Awesome, Lee. Thanks for the review.

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
    Wow, those are some nice bikes. I think my favorite is the Pivot, as it has a Fox fork and Shimano brakes. Santa Cruz bikes just are not better than everybody, in my mind.
    Big Wheels Keep On Rolling

Forth Eorlingas!

mtbr member
    BC... that is serious Mountain Lion country. trails look amazing but very fast. Did you need that much travel? A hard tail with a 120 or a 4" bike might have boosted your speed.

No expert... honestly just asking.

and my primary rig is a TB LTc

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Not sure if I'm understanding your comment above, but all 3 bikes are 100mm (4") rear travel bikes.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast