Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    mtbr member
    my bad... I thought the TB was an LT. In that case they are probably perfect. I would question if a carbon frame HT could out run em all. Just curious

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    No worries, I thought you were just using a Jedi mind trick on me.

mtbr member
    were you visiting or do you live there? if you live there how often do you encounter big cats? I ask because that region has more reported attacks than anywhere in the world.

Nothing can stop me now
    Dec 2006
    Disclosure is that the Czar will be the subject of a test article for MTBR[/QUOTE]

So... You like the Czar the best? That's what I read between the lines... Sounds like any of the three would be a nice bike to have.

I like your description of different suspensions and how they match different riders. Pretty insightful.

Bob

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by LB412 View Post
    BC... that is serious Mountain Lion country. trails look amazing but very fast. Did you need that much travel? A hard tail with a 120 or a 4" bike might have boosted your speed.
    huh? Mountain lions? Longer travel bikes?
    Locals' Guide to North Shore Rides http://mtbtrails.ca/

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004
    LB - I live here. I've seen cougars but from a distance hiking and not on my bike. There are tons of bears and I've seen those biking. I was not aware that we had the most documented number of mountain lion/ I think you mean cougar attacks.

Quote Originally Posted by bobo_krkk_NIN View Post
    Disclosure is that the Czar will be the subject of a test article for MTBR
    So... You like the Czar the best? That's what I read between the lines... Sounds like any of the three would be a nice bike to have.
    [/QUOTE]

For what I want out of a bike I like the Czar the best.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeL View Post
    huh? Mountain lions? Longer travel bikes?
    Yes... More cougar attacks ( not 40 + yr old human females) than anywhere else in the world.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Good stuff Lee.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    The Devinci Atlas seems to be getting popular, would love to see it in this mix to see how she compares.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Leel, great pics of some very nice trails. Liked your mini ? review and your opinion about diff. bikes appealing to diff. riding styles. I couldn't agree more. I would say that the Czar had a minor advantage with carbon wheels. I put carbon wheels on my TBc and the sports car feel improved, I think this would apply to any of the bikes. Great comments though.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by confused View Post
    The Devinci Atlas seems to be getting popular, would love to see it in this mix to see how she compares.

Me too. I think it would have a unique ride experience... but might have it's tradeoffs as well. Very interested in this bike.

mtbr member
    LeeL, Do you think the new TB2, could sway your opinion any?

I would run a 120mm on any of these. The TB is the only one I could get local... : ( ... and of course, they don't demo.

Those Czars are a thing of beauty, though. Appreciate the write up.

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004
    Atlas looks vvvvverrry interesting. Nice and compact. Nice small compact wheelbase and chainstays. Will see if I can hunt one down.

Quote Originally Posted by fruitafrank View Post
    Leel, great pics of some very nice trails. Liked your mini ? review and your opinion about diff. bikes appealing to diff. riding styles. I couldn't agree more. I would say that the Czar had a minor advantage with carbon wheels. I put carbon wheels on my TBc and the sports car feel improved, I think this would apply to any of the bikes. Great comments though.
    At 160lbs I'm not super big. The Crests are about as light as the carbons but objectively less stiff I know. The question is whether this stiffness difference is perceptible to me. I couldn't really tell a huge difference in wheel flex on my trails going between these three bikes. I'll grab a set of carbons and stick them on the Tallboy to see if they make a difference to me. But I don't know how much value that would be since opinions are so subjective no? Plus my trails all have some inherent give with the soil content being the way they are. Fruita GJ rocky trails are sure different.

I can tell you that I could feel wheel and fork flex a ton more riding in Phoenix and Moab than I ever could riding here.

Quote Originally Posted by d365 View Post
    LeeL, Do you think the new TB2, could sway your opinion any?

I would run a 120mm on any of these. The TB is the only one I could get local... : ( ... and of course, they don't demo.

Those Czars are a thing of beauty, though. Appreciate the write up.
    I looked at the TB2 and it didn't seem to have a huge difference to the TB1 - not enough that I would change it up. The main difference to me was that the SC suspension is VPP and the other bikes are DWlink and that certainly hasn't changed. And to stress again; these two suspensions weren't better or worse - just different and suitable for different riders.

Agreed on the Czar being beautiful. Honestly I can't tell that its a 100mm up front; the Czar eats up tech terrain.

Czar on a 525m descent from Mt Tzouhalem to Genoa Bay on Vancouver Island. Huge stands of Garry Oak and arbutus trees. Long sustained downhills. Lots of sharp corners. Lots of moderately steep rock faces where you're always on the brakes but not stupid steep. This was pushing the XC genre a bit. The fork felt fine. The rear end was always tracking true. The rear tire sometimes lacked a bit of bit for swinging around corners but the RaceKing surprises in how much it does handle. The front tire is pretty good for braking, grip and cornering (Conti Mountain King II). The only thing that was lacking were the SRAM brakes that lacked a bit of control and would fade towards the end of long sections (they would come back if you feathered the brakes on flattish rest spots)

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I am in the process of building a Devince atlas carbon with xx1 and I9 wheels. I will post a review after a few rides to get everything dialed in. That is, if I ever come in from the trail after riding it!!!

mtbr member
    I don't cruise the 29er forum... like ever, but found this link somewhere. Thanks for the review and mini comparo, Lee. The more I read your impresseions of the Czar, the more I think it would be the perfect complement to my Chilcotin. Still looking at some lighter, shorter travel 650b bikes like the Sight Carbon and SC Solo but you've definitely got me wanting to try a few of these short-chainstay 29ers too.

Looking forward to Interbike (or OuterBike) this year..... or maybe I just need to come up to North Van and test bikes again.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Funny you mention that krob. I was thinking czar to put next to my chili as well
    MCM #269

"Lightweight , durable , inexpensive
    Pick 2."

mtbr member
    I want to go to there...

Baby Bear is in the house
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtDummy View Post
    LeeL,

Good stuff. Now please go ride a Ripley and add to the mix...
    Yes, this! A 3-way dw-link rumble would be fantastic! (don't care for the TB)
    Better to have and not need it, than to need it and not have it.

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004

JCL
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Sweet bikes but you would never get me riding those trails. Too many stories of mountain lions and wolverines in them there parts.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LB412 View Post
    Yes... More cougar attacks ( not 40 + yr old human females) than anywhere else in the world.
    So, like 3, or what?
    www.seanhannity.com <=not what you think it is.

Homeopathy is the Air Guitar of Medicine.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Lee, how far is the good riding (like this, for example) from Vancouver? I have a job offer there, but it would take a lot for me to move...unless the trails are accessible. Great pictures!

mtbr member
    But where's the video of the NS fall riding??
    www.teamnavycycling.org
    10 Pivot Mach 429
    09 Felt Nine Race
    03 Litespeed Tuscany

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyer View Post
    Lee, how far is the good riding (like this, for example) from Vancouver? I have a job offer there, but it would take a lot for me to move...unless the trails are accessible. Great pictures!
    There's riding like this IN Vancouver. There's a guidebook you can buy in my sig with trail descriptions

Quote Originally Posted by skiahh View Post
    But where's the video of the NS fall riding??
    Saving it for when we test Pivot Mach 6s!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2