mtbr member
    Dec 2012

Thoughts on First MTB / 29er (2008 Gary Fisher Hifi Deluxe 29er)?

I'm looking at a 2008 Gary Fisher Hifi Deluxe 29er on craigslist. Asking price is $900 (dropped from $1000). It will be my first MTB so any thoughts/comments are welcome.

It's stock except for the following:

brand new Mavic M 317 rims Deore Hubs
    brand new Easton seat post
    brand new WTB seat
    brand new Hope QR seat clamp

If the bike is in overall good condition (ad claims "tires are like new"), should I bite? Seems to be a good deal even at the asking price, but I am not exactly sure on how the resale value holds for full-suspension bikes. What would be a good initial offer? Thoughts?

Thanks in advance.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Thoughts on First MTB / 29er (2008 Gary Fisher Hifi Deluxe 29er)?-3i63lf3h15ne5h15jccb137b66e7cb6971df0.jpg  

Last edited by davidlax12; 12-08-2012 at 11:55 PM.

Davir
    looks good but well know for rear triangle breakage issues

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I had the same bike until the rear triangle cracked. Trek had no more in inventory and replaced the frame under warranty. Warranty is for original purchaser, so if (when) this happened to you, you would have to purchase new frame.

Look in the trek and Gary fisher forums you will see several pictures of this same bike with cracked triangle.

I am the Tin Man!
    I bought this exact bike almost a year ago and I love it. Also got mine from cl, guy wanted 12 and I got it for a grand. Mine had upgraded wheels on it though. My biggest complaint was the handlebar, it makes a big sweep back. I replaced it with an Easton riser.
    Next was the brakes, they were Juicy 5's, the guy told me they would need to be serviced soon and he was right. The rear one kept sticking so I took it to the bike shop, total rebuild on that was about $65 but it took a week because they dont carry the kits anymore and had to order them. I found out why they dont carry the kits when my front one went out, its not that much more to buy brand new brakes. I replaced the front with a Elixir 5 on ebay for $80.
    For the most part I am happy with the bike. My last full suspension was a SC Blur, and trying to compare the suspension isnt even fair, the Blur rear suspension was more plush and soaked up more of the small washboard bumps that make the Hifi chatter a little, not bad though, If I hadnt ridden a Blur for so many years on these same trails I probably wouldnt even notice. It definitely is nicer than my hardtail 29er on these sections.
    Knowing what I know now, I would definitely make the purchase again. As others have stated and more will undoubtedly say, the rear triangle is suspect. I am 6-3 210, and I ride cross country, very few jumps and no bomber drops like I see others on here do, but it has held up well for me.
    Keep us informed on your decision and post pics of any upgrades. Good luck-gp.
    Flying the HiFi...Clyde style.

SOMEBODY I LOVE NEEDS A HEART!

I AM AN ORGAN DONOR, ARE YOU?

mtbr member
    Apr 2010

HiFi maybe yes, maybe no

I buddy of mine purchased a 2008 HiFi used for a pretty good price. Rode it for 2.5 years and you know it... the rear triangle failed. Lucky he was going slow when it happened and only about .5 miles from the trail head. Could have broken at 20 mph, 8 miles from the trail head. Just think of the memories that would have made!

davidcarson48
    I'd try for $750-$800. And only if you are comfortable with replacing the frame if it became necessary in the future ($800+).

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by davidcarson48 View Post
    I'd try for $750-$800. And only if you are comfortable with replacing the frame if it became necessary in the future ($800+).
    Seems like the frame issue is quite common. How much would a replacement set me back (including frame, incompatible parts, labor, etc.)?