Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

For those of you that have been to Moab, FS or HT?

8K views 20 replies 17 participants last post by  hfly 
#1 ·
Im preparing to buy or build (SJ FSR Exp or Niner Air 9) a new bike this fall but Im in a debacle over frame type. Im currently in SoCal (SD) where the terrain is rocky and Im riding a Spesh Rockhopper. Right now, I can do about 20 miles before my legs feel like jelly, but Im sure that more riding will help take care of that. I will be going to Moab do ride sometime in the near future but in almost every picture Ive seen I see people on FS bikes. Either this means: A: everyone is rich or B: a FS bike is needed over there. Does anyone have any experience with riding a HT around Moab or should I hold out for extra scrilla and go FS? Speaking from just my current bike, I need a FS but Im certain that my fork is making it ride way rougher than it should since it does its job terribly and a nice Reba Team Dual Air or Fox equivalent would change my mind but Im not putting a penny into my current bike. If there are any other bikes you guys recommend over my choices feel free to speak up for them, just no carbon because itll only be a matter of time before my motorcycle or scuba tank breaks the frame in half.

#3 ·
I have ridden Moab on a litespeed pishgah HT. I also ride SD, mainly FS 29er. You can do it on an HT, but you will enjoy it WAY more on an FS. I rented a Superlight after my first 2 rides there on the lightspeed (this was 6 years ago before I found my love of 29). It was worth every penny to rent the FS. I am sure a 29er HT would be better, but I am also sure a 29er FS would be even better.

As far as buying goes- for $2200 or so you can get the Specialized FS stumpy. It is spec'd well and geometry is done right! A friend of mine just got one, great value for the money. Let me know if you are interested- I'll let you know what shop hooked him up.

#4 ·
BOOMN nailed it with his response. RENT a FS bike in Moab.
All the shops have rentals for 26" bikes, but Poison Spider has carried 29ers in the past.
I was able to rent an Intense Spyder 29er one year and then a Pivot Mach 429 the next from them. I also ran into folks on the trails that rented a Specialized SJ 29er FS.
There is much to be had in terms of high end bike rentals in Moab.

I see people riding in Moab with HT, but I think you will enjoy the rides much more on a FS bike regardless of wheel size. Enjoy!

dew

#6 ·
I've been leaning toward a FS bike for here just because of the amount of rocky areas I've run into in the past. Since there are quite a few climbs I keep thinking it might be better to use a HT but Ive yet to ride a FS bike, well a real FS bike anyway. I guess ill have to go to my LBS and take a spin on one.

#7 ·
I've riden my Niner SIR9 in Moab several times the past year on both the 24hrs and Porcupine trails. It is always a blast and I can keep up with most, but if you are looking for comfort you should definitely try the FS. The Moab Cyclery has higher end XC stuff (Santa Cruz and Elsworth), but like said already I've seen 29er FS at Poison Spider. Like everyone said, rent. If you are doing long days in the saddle go for the FS. If you want to be BA and kick everyone's ass try a HT 29er (haven't seen any for rent in Moab).

#8 ·
I rode their for the first time last fall on a steel hardtail and the guy I was with was on a rigid single speed. People have been riding in Moab long before suspension was even on bicycles.

Do you really want to get a bike that is ideal for <10% of your riding? I don't know how you are doing your trip but flying with a bike is insane unless you plan on riding for more than a week. Cheaper just to rent one

#9 ·
Ride what you've got, you'll enjoy it on a HT or FS. I've been to Moab and ridden both and would happily go back riding either.

On some trails, like Slick Rock, a HT works great. That trail is more about climbing at slow speed, and any bike where you feel like you can get out of saddle and climb will work. Other trails like Porcupine Rim is faster and rockier, and a FS is nice, but you can get down it on a HT and have a good time.

One of my favorite trails is Baby Steps and it would be equally fun on either a HT or FS. There's a section at the end that would be faster on a FS, but fun either way.

#10 ·
Just went out there with my 29er HT and had no real issues. After a couple of hours on the Bar-M trails, I was wishing for squish. It's slickrock, but it's not smooth. Kind of like riding a roadie on chip seal. My lower back was asking for - no, demanding! - the comfort of FS.

I rode Amasa Back with no issues and part of Slickrock (before the weather chased us out) with no probems, too.

So, what am I saying? You can do it on your HT with no problems and thoroughly enjoy it. You might enjoy it even more, however, with some suspension in the back.

#11 ·
customfab said:
I rode their for the first time last fall on a steel hardtail and the guy I was with was on a rigid single speed. People have been riding in Moab long before suspension was even on bicycles.

Do you really want to get a bike that is ideal for <10% of your riding? I don't know how you are doing your trip but flying with a bike is insane unless you plan on riding for more than a week. Cheaper just to rent one
The FS will be ideal for 100% of my riding. I will lose power in climbs but the sacrifice will be worth it for SDs rocky trails. For getting there, I will just pull an overnight drive, recover the next day, and ride for roughly 5 days.

#14 ·
FS, no question.

I was just out there about 3 weeks ago. I normally ride a rigid ss and hardtail geared 29er, but took my 26" 5" suspension bike with. If I had a FS 29er I would've taken that.

I'm sure you 'can' ride everything out there on a hardtail, but you'll definitely feel it after an hour or two. Most of the trails include quite a bit of rock, the FS really smooths out the trail and keeps things fun. This coming from someone who normally prefers hardtails.

#15 ·
FalloutMan said:
Does anyone have any experience with riding a HT around Moab or should I hold out for extra scrilla and go FS?
This question tickles my funny bone beyond comprehension.
Mostly because much of my riding in Moab has been on a hardtail.
Reason? Well, gather 'round kids and let me tell y'all a story. There was a time when there was nothin' but hardtails. Yes, this was last century. In fact there was even a time when there was nothing but rigid front ends. Heresy, I know, but true. And, believe it or not, it was possible to ride in Moab even then.;)

DR

#16 ·
on our road trip to moab i had both. i was forced to ride my HT after destroying the Fox fork on my 6" bike doing drops.

i thoroughly enjoyed riding on my HT and don't feel it held me back at all though I wasn't doing the larger drops anymore.

just another perspective.

#18 ·
DirtRoadie said:
This question tickles my funny bone beyond comprehension.
Mostly because much of my riding in Moab has been on a hardtail.
Reason? Well, gather 'round kids and let me tell y'all a story. There was a time when there was nothin' but hardtails. Yes, this was last century. In fact there was even a time when there was nothing but rigid front ends. Heresy, I know, but true. And, believe it or not, it was possible to ride in Moab even then.;)

DR
I use to have a blast there on my C'Dale M700 black and speckled with green. Front fork was a "Pepperoni" aluminum rigid fork! Still had a blast. That said, I wouldn't do it now. Was there over the long weekend and loved my Pivot429.

I also used to get drunk on Schlitz and Old Milwaukee, wouldn't do that now either....

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.