mtbr member
    Sep 2009

Thinking of building a niner monster cross bike...please advise

I'm considering building my air 9 niner 29er into a monstercross bike...few questions
    Can I use road shimano 10 speed STI with my 10 speed xtr rear del. ? I will run it as a 1x9 so I'm not going to use the front del.
    Do'es anyone make a 490-500mm axel to crown fork,Niner has diso'ed the 490 fork
    Thx for the advise,and if anyone has a few pictures of there monster cross bikes that would be cool
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Thinking of building a niner monster cross bike...please advise-dead-tree-001.jpg  

1*14*29*2.1 & 1*1*29*2.4
    Nov 2009
    I think that should work...I am doing the same now but with old 9spd gear. You are using a 10spd cassette right?

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Can I use road shimano 10 speed STI with my 10 speed xtr rear del. ?
    No. 10 speed road will work with a 9 speed mtb mech but not a 10 speed mtb mech.
    You will also need to run a 10 speed cassette.

1*14*29*2.1 & 1*1*29*2.4
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Markenduro View Post
    Can I use road shimano 10 speed STI with my 10 speed xtr rear del. ?
    No. 10 speed road will work with a 9 speed mtb mech but not a 10 speed mtb mech.
    You will also need to run a 10 speed cassette.
    I thought the mech doesn't matter? As long as the limits of travel can be adjusted to the cassette. Isn't it just about the sprocket spacing?

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by finch2 View Post
    I thought the mech doesn't matter? As long as the limits of travel can be adjusted to the cassette. Isn't it just about the sprocket spacing?

It is also about cable pull ratio. 9 speed Shimano stuff all works together, road shifters/mtb derailleurs. SRAM 10 speed stuff works together I believe. Not sure about Shimano 10 speed road shifters and mtb 9 speed rear derailleurs though.

1*14*29*2.1 & 1*1*29*2.4
    Nov 2009
    ahh makes sense...