Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mdb1974's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    450

    Think my Ferrous is crack.

    Noticing a slight noise while in the saddle ( could not reproduce while standing) examined the bike and assumed it was something in the seat. Swapped seats and it's still there. Sure enough, tiny hairline crack where the post joins the top tube and a longer one, a cm or more on the seat stay weld. Assuming this is the end of the road? Am I correct?

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    461
    That's where mine broke too. Sorry to hear you had the same problem. The Ferrous was a great ride while it lasted, but it didn't last long enough.

    I didn't have any trouble getting it warrantied, if that makes any difference. The swap was for the new Rig frame, which is actually quite nice, but not nearly as special as the Ferrous. Then again, no creaky EBB.

    Sorry for your bad news, but good luck getting a trade!

  3. #3
    banned
    Reputation: roadie scum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    836
    Pics? Warranty?

  4. #4
    ballbuster
    Reputation: pimpbot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    12,629

    Your frame is on Crack?

    Quote Originally Posted by mdb1974 View Post
    Noticing a slight noise while in the saddle ( could not reproduce while standing) examined the bike and assumed it was something in the seat. Swapped seats and it's still there. Sure enough, tiny hairline crack where the post joins the top tube and a longer one, a cm or more on the seat stay weld. Assuming this is the end of the road? Am I correct?


    Are you the original owner?

    If you are, GF/Trek will warranty it... again and again and again....

  5. #5
    At Work
    Reputation: sxr-racer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    1,502
    They cannot replace a
    Frame they no longer make. This is a steel frame. Go find and expert welder and get it repaired.
    2009 Titus FTM

    2009 Gary Fisher Rig

    1997 Kona Ku
    (Resurection in Progress)

  6. #6
    parts leftover
    Reputation: schlim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    950
    Crack is whack.

  7. #7
    AZ
    AZ is offline
    banned
    Reputation: AZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    19,998
    Quote Originally Posted by sxr-racer View Post
    They cannot replace a
    Frame they no longer make. This is a steel frame. Go find and expert welder and get it repaired.


    But they do provide a replacement, I know of one person that got a Superfly as a replacement for a Ferrous.

  8. #8
    ballbuster
    Reputation: pimpbot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    12,629

    Well, yeah....

    Quote Originally Posted by sxr-racer View Post
    They cannot replace a
    Frame they no longer make. This is a steel frame. Go find and expert welder and get it repaired.
    ... but they'll give him something else, like a Rig as the other poster said.

  9. #9
    trail rat
    Reputation: slocaus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    7,694
    I had a bike that had a sticker that read:

    This Bike is a Reality Bong

    Crack is too much for me to handle...............................
    CCCMB web - Facebook
    SLO trail maps - conditions

    "The physician heals, Nature makes well" - real fortune cookie

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    304
    I got a sawyer as my warranty replacement. I paid to get the matching Sawyer fork. They offered a superfly, but at additional cost.

    The ferrous was definitely a lot lighter, but it obviously was not very durable. You could get it fixed, but I guess it will just end up breaking somewhere else.

  11. #11
    At Work
    Reputation: sxr-racer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    1,502
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS View Post
    But they do provide a replacement, I know of one person that got a Superfly as a replacement for a Ferrous.
    You missed my point. Fully aware that they will substitute the frame. But an alum frame is not the same ride as steel. The crack may be able to be welded.
    2009 Titus FTM

    2009 Gary Fisher Rig

    1997 Kona Ku
    (Resurection in Progress)

  12. #12
    banned
    Reputation: roadie scum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    836
    Quote Originally Posted by sxr-racer View Post
    You missed my point. Fully aware that they will substitute the frame. But an alum frame is not the same ride as steel. The crack may be able to be welded.


    Weld it so it can crack again, just throwing money down the drain.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    304
    Quote Originally Posted by roadie scum View Post
    Weld it so it can crack again, just throwing money down the drain.
    That was my opinion. Plus, welding is going to void any warranty. So you would never get anything out of Trek.

  14. #14
    AZ
    AZ is offline
    banned
    Reputation: AZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    19,998
    Quote Originally Posted by roadie scum View Post
    Weld it so it can crack again, just throwing money down the drain.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marrkie View Post
    That was my opinion. Plus, welding is going to void any warranty. So you would never get anything out of Trek.



    That /\.........

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    461
    Quote Originally Posted by sxr-racer View Post
    The crack may be able to be welded.
    If the crack is in the same place as mine was (which it seems like it from the OP's description), I don't think that it can be welded with any success. My crack was at the seattube-toptube junction. It went horizontally from the toptube, through the weld, and into the seattube. I didn't seriously look into getting it welded since I was getting a warranty replacement, but I didn't think the placement of the crack looked very promising.

    Good luck!

  16. #16
    ~Disc~Golf~
    Reputation: highdelll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    17,325
    Quote Originally Posted by schlim View Post
    Crack is whack.
    no way dood! - it's the cat's meow
    Honestly... ahh I give up

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 21
    Last Post: 06-16-2011, 09:05 AM
  2. Frame or Paint Crack? (2007 Ferrous)
    By quicksilverta in forum Gary Fisher
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-25-2010, 07:31 PM
  3. Frame or Paint Crack? (2007 Ferrous)
    By quicksilverta in forum 29er Bikes
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 11-15-2010, 08:39 PM
  4. 2007 ferrous V 2009 ferrous.....
    By RockStarRacing in forum 29er Bikes
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-12-2009, 05:40 PM
  5. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 09-17-2008, 12:13 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •