mtbr member
    Mar 2013

Are there any $2,500-$3,000 MTB's that you would recommend over the Stumpjumper Comp?

I will be doing trails (no interest in downhill), some XC, and some XC racing. I want the bike to be CAPABLE of racing, but it does not need to be a focus, as I will get a separate hard tail if I really get into it.

I want X9/XT level components and Fox suspension. A local shop is selling a 2013 model for $2,600 and I haven't found anything with better components at that price or same components at a cheaper price. The only thing I have to gripe about this bike is the Avid brakes, but I can swap these out if I really hate them.

edit:

I'm talking about the FSR model, linked below

How about the Trek Superfly 100 AL Pro?
    Last edited by Alias530; 05-12-2013 at 07:25 PM.

Rohloff
    I currently ride a Trek Superfly 100 and I've demoed a lot of chi-chi bikes. The SJ wasn't even on my list, but I had a mechanical and a friend loaned me his 2012 SJ 29 Comp. What a great bike. I was real impressed. It now sits on the top of my list.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I would suggest riding a lot of bike before buying. I had one, like the way VPP rides better than the FSR.

Based on your bias toward XC and not any downhill, I would suggest you see if that dealer has a camber you can get a deal on if they only deal in Specialized.

The Camber has 1.25 inch shorter wheelbase and you will feel that if you have tight, twisty single track.

In a Trek theres the Superfly Elite XT/SLX mix at $2700

Santa Crux Tallboy XT/SLX @ $3000

Giant Anthem X 1 XT/SLX at @ $2800
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass
    12 TallboyC Frame for Sale-Large

mtbr member
    I'm assuming you are talking about a SJ Carbon Comp? Good bike, you might also want to consider a used Epic, there are good used Epics for sale in your price range regularly on eBay.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Trek Stache 8?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Epic_Dude View Post
    I'm assuming you are talking about a SJ Carbon Comp? Good bike, you might also want to consider a used Epic, there are good used Epics for sale in your price range regularly on eBay.
    Doubt the Carbon Comp is $2600, more like the Comp.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoTone View Post
    Doubt the Carbon Comp is $2600, more like the Comp.
    The Comp retails for $2,200 so if he is getting a deal on it the shop is the one getting the deal. The Carbon Comp retails for $3.050 so that just made more sense to me that he is getting $450 off the carbon model.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    The Comp retails for $2,200 so if he is getting a deal on it the shop is the one getting the deal. The Carbon Comp retails for $3.050 so that just made more sense to me that he is getting $450 off the carbon model.
    Where can you get the comp for $2,200??

This is what I'm looking at:

Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp 29 - Mike's Bikes - Road and Mountain Bike Shop, components, parts, accessories, service and repair

mtbr member
    Tough to beat the Stumpjumper. Better than most bikes that are much higher priced.
    The LPG

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Alias530 View Post
    OP didn't say he was looking at the FSR, I believe he is talking hard tail.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    OP didn't say he was looking at the FSR, I believe he is talking hard tail.
    Yeah the full suspension FSR

mtbr member
    Okay, now we know which SJ you are looking at. I've ridden the SJ FSR and it wasn't to my liking, but if you want a squishy longer feeling wheelbase FS bike, it might be for you.

Guess I was hoping you were referring to the SJ Carbon Comp at a discount, that IMO is a really nice bike.

Happy Trails

Are there any $2,500-$3,000 MTB's that you would recommend over the Stumpjumper

Competitive Cyclist has some really nice bikes on that range, but I always think LBS is worth few hundred, even $500, more.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Okay, now we know which SJ you are looking at. I've ridden the SJ FSR and it wasn't to my liking, but if you want a squishy longer feeling wheelbase FS bike, it might be for you.

Guess I was hoping you were referring to the SJ Carbon Comp at a discount, that IMO is a really nice bike.
    Any thoughts on the superfly 100 pro?

mtbr member
    I second what TwoTone said, you may want to take a look at the Camber it's a very nice bike in between those two. It's hard to compare the Superfly 100 to the SJ FSR 29er.

I demoed the Superfly 100 when I was shopping, and I loved it as an XC oriented dually. It felt very fast & nimble, but I was looking for something a bit beefier. After much consideration between those two and some other bikes, I went with the SJ FSR Comp 29 and I love it. A big reason I went with the SJ over the Camber or similar "Trail" bikes was the value. I felt the SJ Comp was the best bang for my buck, and I paid over $2600 for mine!

My biggest concern with the SJ was that it was going to be too big and too plush for the type of riding I do. I was way off the mark. While it is a big bike, I find it handles and pedals really well on all terrain. The Fox CTD is working as promised, and makes it easy to stiffen things up when needed. I think it's the perfect all-arounder.

If you're a small guy the weight could be a factor. Mine is a size large and weighs 29LBS (stock with tubless setup & XT pedals). I'm 6'1" at 205 or so... 29LBS feels light to me.

My only gripe is the Avid brakes, they are getting very loud and annoying, but my LBS is going to work with me to find a solution. XT's may be in my future. If you do go with the SJ consider working a swap out for XT or SLX brakes into the deal, I wish I did.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by DEALAH View Post
    I second what TwoTone said, you may want to take a look at the Camber it's a very nice bike in between those two. It's hard to compare the Superfly 100 to the SJ FSR 29er.

I demoed the Superfly 100 when I was shopping, and I loved it as an XC oriented dually. It felt very fast & nimble, but I was looking for something a bit beefier. After much consideration between those two and some other bikes, I went with the SJ FSR Comp 29 and I love it. A big reason I went with the SJ over the Camber or similar "Trail" bikes was the value. I felt the SJ Comp was the best bang for my buck, and I paid over $2600 for mine!

My biggest concern with the SJ was that it was going to be too big and too plush for the type of riding I do. I was way off the mark. While it is a big bike, I find it handles and pedals really well on all terrain. The Fox CTD is working as promised, and makes it easy to stiffen things up when needed. I think it's the perfect all-arounder.

If you're a small guy the weight could be a factor. Mine is a size large and weighs 29LBS (stock with tubless setup & XT pedals). I'm 6'1" at 205 or so... 29LBS feels light to me.

My only gripe is the Avid brakes, they are getting very loud and annoying, but my LBS is going to work with me to find a solution. XT's may be in my future. If you do go with the SJ consider working a swap out for XT or SLX brakes into the deal, I wish I did.
    This is why I'm leaning towards the superfly... The SJ has some x7 components and crappy avid 5 brakes. The superfly is XT for EVERYTHING and I have a friend selling his 2013 model for almost $1k less than the SJ (with tax at the LBS) with only 400 miles on it.

mtbr member
    Then it's a no brainer. Superfly 100 with full XT for under $2000 is a steal. They tried to sell me the demo 2012 Superfly 100 ELITE for $2450 plus tax! Go for it!

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by DEALAH View Post
    Then it's a no brainer. Superfly 100 with full XT for under $2000 is a steal. They tried to sell me the demo 2012 Superfly 100 ELITE for $2450 plus tax! Go for it!
    He's selling it for $2,300 (obviously no tax).

But for the SJ at $2,700 + tax + XT brakes its almost $3,200 OTD.

In the interest of full disclosure.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Alias530 View Post
    He's selling it for $2,300 (obviously no tax).

But for the SJ at $2,700 + tax + XT brakes its almost $3,200 OTD.

In the interest of full disclosure.
    I haven't ridden a Superfly, but owned a SJ FSR Comp, I'm much happier with the full XT kit on my TBc and the shorter wheelbase
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass