Thread: Thelma's Rack?

No longer 26

Thelma's Rack?

Anyone using a Saris Thelma with their 29er's? Saris says "no go" but I thought I saw the combination a few weeks ago at a race but have not seen it again.

Anyone?

Sorry it was not "that kind" of rack...
    G
    You can't depend on honest answers from dependant hands...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I use one with my 29ers all the time. in order to use the rack properly, you have to let the air out of the front tire. or, just do like I do and don't lock the front wheel clamshell into place. it's a bit sketchy that way, but no issues here after hundreds of miles of driving.

meatier showers
    Quote Originally Posted by G-Live
    Sorry it was not "that kind" of rack...
    G
    Dang it!

--Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

Quote Originally Posted by riverrat
    Jaybo... quit *****ing and move to Texas

No longer 26
    Quote Originally Posted by funkenstein
    I use one with my 29ers all the time. in order to use the rack properly, you have to let the air out of the front tire. or, just do like I do and don't lock the front wheel clamshell into place. it's a bit sketchy that way, but no issues here after hundreds of miles of driving.
    Would an extra hook and loop strap help solidify things? I really want one of these because they are so much lighter than everything else.

G

mtbr member
    May 2008

It can be done

It can be done with a fully inflated tire securely, but is "not recommended"

You need to get an extra saris strap (I have an extra one from a bones rack). Put top arm of the wheel holder past the notch. This will let it open up wide to fit a 29er tire. Unfortunately, this will also let the bike fall completely backwards if you take a turn too fast. That's where the strap comes in. Put the strap through the slit on the lower arm for the front wheel holder and around the wheel. Voila! you can now take your 29er anywhere on your Thelma.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Disclosure: I work in a bike shop

i also unicycle
    Jan 2007
    i'd see it done(and had it recommended by my saris rep) by never unlocking the clam shell part. just cram the front tire into it and swing the back end to wear it needs to be. if it fits it'll be super tight, but it should work. probably won't work with fully inflated 2.3+ tires though.
    mtbr says you should know: i work in a bike shop.
    bikes & beers (on my blog) http://idontrideenough.blogspot.com/

bicycle dreamer
    Quote Originally Posted by UpwardSpiral
    It can be done with a fully inflated tire securely, but is "not recommended"

You need to get an extra saris strap (I have an extra one from a bones rack). Put top arm of the wheel holder past the notch. This will let it open up wide to fit a 29er tire. Unfortunately, this will also let the bike fall completely backwards if you take a turn too fast. That's where the strap comes in. Put the strap through the slit on the lower arm for the front wheel holder and around the wheel. Voila! you can now take your 29er anywhere on your Thelma.
    I have used this method as well, and it works pretty slick. Just need to make sure you don't lose your straps when the bike isn't on there.
    Moving the soul with two wheels.
    I have a slight cycling addiction.

Now living in Nagoya City, Japan!

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I'm looking at the Thelma 3-bike rack. One 29er in the family and the others are 26ers. Any owners have any good or bad input on the rack?

No longer 26
    Any more input on this from anyone? I have a chance at a deal on one . Really want to try it but don't want to damage my bike in an accident. I am mechanically inclined enough to add permanent extra straps etc if that helps.

G

Bikeoholic
    I have a 29er (medium dos niner) and though it doesn't fit well, it fits. I love the rack though no complaints even with the shady fit. It works really well with my Matrix.
    -Palek
    Ride Today...
    ...You might not be able to tomorrow

mtbr member

I'd get it

I just had my Asylum FS bike on a local riders Selma a few weeks ago, 120+ miles round trip. No issues all the trip.
    You cannot go against nature, because when you do, its part of nature too.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I would not do it, I have a CycleOn Pro, and it is the worst rack I have owned. The rack barely holds my bike, and even comes loose from time to time on the freeway. Stick with the heavy racks like a Thule T2. Just my two cents.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I talked with the Trek/VW guys at a race this summer. They were doing the method mentioned by UpwardSpiral to help transport one of the Fisher guys bikes around. Seemed to be happy with it.
    As far as the Thelma. It's a fine rack, and at a good price. If you don't need something light (for easy on-off) and can spend more get the Thule T2 rack. It's much easier to use and more stable. There's a reason the T2 precursor from sportsworks is on the front of buses all over the country.

No longer 26
    I currently have an older Hollywood fork mount, 2" mounted rack. It works great but is heavy, hard to store and have to remove the front wheel. The last especially is not a huge deal but I think that the under 30# Thelma would fit into our garage needs better as more and more kid stuff accumulates in it. And fit kids bikes etc much better as they start to come along for rides.

For camping, bigger trips (if I ever get to take one with mates along) etc, I have a saris roof rack that I mount on a trailer to pull behind the Jeep. That works well for 3+ bikes and gear.
    G

mtbr member
    Just took a trip this past weekend with a 29er on the Thelma. We used a spare 26" front wheel in place of the 29" and it worked perfectly.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Oliver
    I would not do it, I have a CycleOn Pro, and it is the worst rack I have owned. The rack barely holds my bike, and even comes loose from time to time on the freeway. Stick with the heavy racks like a Thule T2. Just my two cents.
    I picked up a CycleOn Pro last year and love it, I can get 1 click of the racheting holdown on the front tire of my 29ers fully inflated, for long trips I do air the front down a bit to get 3-4clicks just to be sure. I have used this rack on a number of 700+ mile trips without any loosening issues, very stable IMO.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I bought the 3-bike Thelma this past fall and have been using with my 29er. I use a toe strap through the holes (as UpwardSpiral's pic shows). I also throw a strap through the top holes to be safe. No problems yet. Although I hate looking in the rear view mirror and seeing all three bikes bounce up and down with the rack apparently flexing.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Update: Did a 1300mile trip with 3 MTBs on the Thelma 3 (back of an Audi A4 wagon). 1 Stumpy 29er, 1 Stumpy XS frame, 1 Stumpy S frame (later two are the kids bikes). I haven't weighed them, but the kids bikes are probably close to 30lbs. My 29er is 26-27lbs.

After the 1st day, I noticed that the rack was sagging more than normal. After inspection, it appeared that the rack was creating enough leverage to bend the hitch. The reciever hitch is an aftermarket piece from a reputable company, so I'm not sure which is causing the problem. Ultimately, I tied a rope from the stems of the back two bikes to my roof rails. This stabilized the load and the car actually rode much better.

Once at my destination, I bought two Thule fork mounts for the trip back.

The following week, I tried the Thelma again, but with my road bike (and only one bike). This bike is closer to 20lbs and it rode like a dream on the back with very little movement.

In summary, I think that the Thelma 3 is better off with road bikes or a single MTB on the back. I will keep it and continue to use it as I like keeping the bike out of the wind and not having to take off the wheels. Plus when I need to haul more bikes, I can now put two on top and probably 2 on the back.

I win.
    Looks like the newer 4239 model fits 29ers.

http://www.saris.com/p-333-thelma-3-bike.aspx Click on Technical Specs

It's even mentioned in the installation video if you click that.

They added a new tab to the wheel trays to essentially do what you all were doing, just safer.

Unless someone has something in the 260 dollar range that doesn't touch the frame, works better, and holds 3+ bikes I'll be buying one tomorrow
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Thelma's Rack?-thelma.jpg  

09 Giant Anthem X3
    07 IBEX Trophy Comp X7

No longer 26
    Awesome. I'd really like to update this year from my heavy old fork mount hitch rack to this hitch rack.

G

I win.
    Yeah, I've been looking to replace my old hitch rack. It's one of the top tube mounting racks. It wore the paint out on my old bike from all the swinging. I'm looking to avoid that on my new bike.

Out of all the platform racks I've looked at the Thelma looks like the best value.
    09 Giant Anthem X3
    07 IBEX Trophy Comp X7

mtbr member
    Feb 2010

thelma rack

I've had mine for over a year, it's been a pain having to deflate the front tire to transport my 29er. I spoke to saris today about it, I was told the new thelma has been redesigned to carry 29ers. The load bars are wider appart and the front wheel holder will accept the 29"wheel tire inflated. Can't wait to get it, will update you on how it goes.
    Doug